Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier (Reports: 5 years, $4.5 per season, NMC; jersey #40; upds post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Vinny has averaged 67 points the last 4 years with the highest being 70, the lowest 63. So he has been consistant. In fact, he is what we want Schenn to become. But he is there today. If we add him, move Schenn to the wing FOR GOOD.
Harts G Jake
Schenn Vinny Simmonds
Gagne Couts Read

Adding a player for FREE is usually a good thing. Just don't overpay. Keep Couts because his cap hit is so low. Re-sign him to a deal that ends when Vinny's does so that he can get Vinny's money. And Vinny can also help Couts be a better C taking face-offs, etc.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
This is the one UFA available that really scares the living crap out of me because for homer it's like a bright new shiny toy.

Would Vinnie make us a better team, most likely. However, I just don't see the "NEED" for him. We really should be trying to get Coots more involved in the offense and adding in another center above him on the depth chart would probably kill any chance for him fully developing his offensive game.

We should kick the tires on Vinnie but in the end, I think we should pass unless it's for an unreal deal on the cheap side (not as homer usually on the high end).

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Gives the team some nice depth only at the expense of cash, which the team has mobility with at the moment.

King Fish

Jan 29, 2003
Where's ma pizza?
Visit site
Hartnell- Giroux- Jake
Schenn- Vinny- Simmonds
Gags- Couterier- Clarkson
Rinaldo- Laughton- Talbot

Kimo-Schenn
Streit-Edler
Mez-Grossman

Trade- Read+Cousins for Edler
Coburn for 1st round pick

Might be too rich, not sure what Clarkson would be looking for. Great RW

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hartnell- Giroux- Jake
Schenn- Vinny- Simmonds
Gags- Couterier- Clarkson
Rinaldo- Laughton- Talbot

Kimo-Schenn
Streit-Edler
Mez-Grossman

Trade- Read+Cousins for Edler
Coburn for 1st round pick

Might be too rich, not sure what Clarkson would be looking for. Great RW

Dreger tweeted earlier that he's looking for 6/38

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
Vinny has averaged 67 points the last 4 years with the highest being 70, the lowest 63. So he has been consistant. In fact, he is what we want Schenn to become. But he is there today. If we add him, move Schenn to the wing FOR GOOD.
Harts G Jake
Schenn Vinny Simmonds
Gagne Couts Read

Adding a player for FREE is usually a good thing. Just don't overpay. Keep Couts because his cap hit is so low. Re-sign him to a deal that ends when Vinny's does so that he can get Vinny's money. And Vinny can also help Couts be a better C taking face-offs, etc.

What does etc. include? Because all I see is a player who will take valuable ice time away from developing players. Which is almost pointless unless we are going into win-now mode which is funny considering our goaltending and defense.

Giroux It

Mar 30, 2013
Elizabethtown, PA
Dreger tweeted earlier that he's looking for 6/38

I think that's his starting point, not his end. That number will surely come down. I just don't want the Flyers to get into a bidding war with a team who REALLY wants him and needs a Top 6 Center.

No reason to think that off the bat.

It makes sense. We would have a plethora of Centers and nowhere to play them. IMO it would be Coots or Laughton, and Coots has value. So Coots is the one who gets the boot.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Gives the team some nice depth only at the expense of cash, which the team has mobility with at the moment.

Next year we have to resign Giroux, Schenn, Couturier and Read. If we dump 5+ mil into Vinnie then I can't see us having the cap space to resign all of them.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
I don't think I'd be too upset if they signed Vinny long term and used expendable assets to trade for a #1 D.

No, I don't know who that #1 D is... Just sayin.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
It makes sense. We would have a plethora of Centers and nowhere to play them. IMO it would be Coots or Laughton, and Coots has value. So Coots is the one who gets the boot.

Nah. They'll sort it easily. Schenn goes to wing. Let Couts stay as 3C and continue to grow (he's still young). Depth is good to have, especially when the team is young. Maybe make some moves later, but I don't think it is a foregone conclusion. You're talking about a player who is in the tier of "hard to pry away from Philly." I don't think VL signing would change that.

I'd rather have four solid lines and spread the minutes out more so the older guys don't wear down as easily.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Adding Vinny probably means Couturier is gone (or Schenn I guess).

Who is playing 3rd line center against the other teams best players if Couturier is traded? Please don't say the 19 year old with 5 games of NHL experience.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Next year we have to resign Giroux, Schenn, Couturier and Read. If we dump 5+ mil into Vinnie then I can't see us having the cap space to resign all of them.

Flyers have plenty of money. I would imagine Read would be gone of those three. Couts and Schenn are not going to get massive raises. Hopefully VL's contract would expire when Couts and Schenn are due for mid 20s contracts.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
If the Flyers sign Vinny at 5yrs it would be the most short sighted, non sensical thing Homer has ever done. It would officially signal that Flyers management has no long-term vision. I just don't understand why we are pushing so hard for this.

Giroux It

Mar 30, 2013
Elizabethtown, PA
Nah. They'll sort it easily. Schenn goes to wing. Let Couts stay as 3C and continue to grow (he's still young). Depth is good to have, especially when the team is young. Maybe make some moves later, but I don't think it is a foregone conclusion. You're talking about a player who is in the tier of "hard to pry away from Philly." I don't think VL signing would change that.

I'd rather have four solid lines and spread the minutes out more so the older guys don't wear down as easily.

I suppose we can agree to disagree on that aspect. I think Schenn on the wing is a mistake. I don't mind Couts staying our 3C to grow, but at a point how can justify paying your 3C 5+Mil? If Couts isn't grown into a 2C in the next 2-3 years, then your really stuck. Couts will have a new contract (3-5 years I would assume) and you still have an aging Vinny. Now you start to worry because your only other option is turn Schenn BACK into a Center or hope Laughton becomes a clear cut 2C playing 4th line minutes

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
el oh el.

I don't know what's worse, this, or the fact that Bozak is demanding around 8 years / 40 million. :laugh:

With the market saturated, these are the players that are going to go last after all the other UFAs are signed and most teams are comfortable with their hauls.

That's when guys like Bozak go to a team for 2 years at like 2.5m.

He needs to lessen his hopes or he's going to be disappointed.

That said, there always seems to be that one stupid team every year.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I suppose we can agree to disagree on that aspect. I think Schenn on the wing is a mistake. I don't mind Couts staying our 3C to grow, but at a point how can justify paying your 3C 5+Mil? If Couts isn't grown into a 2C in the next 2-3 years, then your really stuck. Couts will have a new contract (3-5 years I would assume) and you still have an aging Vinny. Now you start to worry because your only other option is turn Schenn BACK into a Center or hope Laughton becomes a clear cut 2C playing 4th line minutes

Some people believe that Schenn projects as a better winger than center.

The point you justify paying your 3C good money is when he becomes a 2C and you move Vinny back to 3C or wing and move Couts up to 2C.

Ta-da.

You don't have to move Schenn anywhere.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Some people believe that Schenn projects as a better winger than center.

The point you justify paying your 3C good money is when he becomes a 2C and you move Vinny back to 3C or wing and move Couts up to 2C.

Ta-da.

You don't have to move Schenn anywhere.

I don't think he projects to be a better winger than center, but I think he projects to be a much better winger than Couturier or Laughton.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad