Confirmed with Link: Vinny Lecavalier (Reports: 5 years, $4.5 per season, NMC; jersey #40; upds post #1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't see them moving Schenn, because he looks like the better offensive player in every facet.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
I think people are wrong that we don't need another center. Schenn is a terrible center. He's awful at faceoffs, not a great playmaker/puck protector and his defense is very lacking. Now, I think he has the skillset to put it all together and become a fantastic center; faceoffs and defense are skills that can be taught/learned. But right now he isn't a good 2C.

I also think people are overstating the importance of a player's "natural position". He's still young and wing isn't hard to learn. I think if he makes the switch now he'd be able to handle it. There might be an adjustment period, but so what? He's young and isn't really a great center right now anyway.

Also, without Briere we have very little veteran leadership up front. We have Hartnell, Giroux and Talbot. And Giroux and Talbot are still young. I think Vinny could be very good long term if we can ease the cap hit by having lesser salary in later years. For now have him as 2C and when Coots is ready (definitely not now, no offense or faceoffs) put him at 2C and Vinny at 3C. Vinny will probably be starting to decline when Couts is ready for a 2C role. Keep Schenn on wing.

Giroux It

Mar 30, 2013
Elizabethtown, PA
I think people are wrong that we don't need another center. Schenn is a terrible center. He's awful at faceoffs, not a great playmaker/puck protector and his defense is very lacking. Now, I think he has the skillset to put it all together and become a fantastic center; faceoffs and defense are skills that can be taught/learned. But right now he isn't a good 2C.

I also think people are overstating the importance of a player's "natural position". He's still young and wing isn't hard to learn. I think if he makes the switch now he'd be able to handle it. There might be an adjustment period, but so what? He's young and isn't really a great center right now anyway.

Schenn - 45.5%
Couts - 43.9%

Just an FYI, they both will improve on the dot IMO. Schenn has clearly shown a better upside on the offensive game than Couts at this point. Yet people still put Couts on the highest of pedestals. Neither of them are GREAT centers right now. Why not let them BOTH grow in the position?

JoeFlyer

Jul 3, 2011
UK
The only deal I can think of that I would do for Ryan and Sbisa would be Coburn and Read + picks. If they don't want that then I would look at other options. We need to keep this core together.

Ryan-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne-Couturier-XXX
Talbot-Laughton-Read

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Sbisa
Grossmann-Gus

And if/when Laughton is ready for the 3rd line

Schenn-Giroux-Ryan
Hartnell-Couturier-Voracek
Gagne-Laughton-Simmonds
Talbot-XXX-Rinaldo

TBH I was just mucking around because it would never happen. Vinny isn't really a 'need' but I think the lineup I said has nice balance to it in the imediate and future sense. With Couturier, B. Schenn and Laughton you have 3 guys who should probably be (in the end) your 2nd line centre. Keep 2 of them, you don't need 3, and I'm not really in favour of shifting centres to the wing because, essentially, you have too many who are good...

If you are insisting on Schenn becoming a winger (maybe it does work out) then Vinny becomes a good buy I suppose. You can sign Vinny, resign Gagne, leave Couturier on 3rd, drop Mesz for cap, add a 5/6th D and a goalie for about $15m of cap.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Schenn - 45.5%
Couts - 43.9%

Just an FYI, they both will improve on the dot IMO. Schenn has clearly shown a better upside on the offensive game than Couts at this point. Yet people still put Couts on the highest of pedestals. Neither of them are GREAT centers right now. Why not let them BOTH grow in the position?

Well, that's what I mean. Having either our 2C or 3C being weak on faceoffs is alright, but having both really hurts us. By getting VL we can move one of them to wing, I just think it makes more sense to move Schenn because moving Couts diminishes his defensive value, even if he is slightly worse on the dot.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
DFF is right on it...

Rimer: I've been told that the price tag for Vinny Lecavalier will be in the 5 year, 25 million range to sign him.
12:33pm - 2 Jul 13

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
I think it would be ok with Shenn moving to wing. Question is, to CG or VL wing. Where would be best place for him to learn the position and which one to mentor him? I'm thinking VL could be a good teacher. This way you keep Harts with CG.

JoeFlyer

Jul 3, 2011
UK
I think it would be ok with Shenn moving to wing. Question is, to CG or VL wing. Where would be best place for him to learn the position and which one to mentor him? I'm thinking VL could be a good teacher. This way you keep Harts with CG.

Hartnell didn't exactly do great with Giroux last year. Though I'm not sure why. I realise Jagr and Voracek aren't the same player but both did a lot of puck carrying and getting it to the net... But then even Giroux wasn't so hot the 1st half of the season (not the lockout bit, you know what I mean ;) )

Any ideas why? Maybe Simmonds should play with G and Voracek?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Calling it now with the numbers of the contract if he decides to sign here.

7 years 29.75 million

cap hit of 4.25.

Flyer fans are outraged.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Hartnell didn't exactly do great with Giroux last year. Though I'm not sure why. I realise Jagr and Voracek aren't the same player but both did a lot of puck carrying and getting it to the net... But then even Giroux wasn't so hot the 1st half of the season (not the lockout bit, you know what I mean ;) )

Any ideas why? Maybe Simmonds should play with G and Voracek?

foot-illustration.jpg

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
It makes sense though. It drives the AAV down. 4.25, with the cap expected to rise....

I would easily see stacking on 2 years on what essentially would be a 25-30 million dollar contract. (Not that I like it).

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
DFF is right on it...

Rimer: I've been told that the price tag for Vinny Lecavalier will be in the 5 year, 25 million range to sign him.
12:33pm - 2 Jul 13

I'd only give him that if he is moving to wing though. Too many young centers on this team to bring in an older guy for five years. The Flyers would have to move AT LEAST one of Couturier, Schenn, or Laughton if Lecavalier is brought in to play center. That being said, if there was some sort of deal in place to move one of them for a #1 defender, I wouldn't be as opposed.

Something crazy like this:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($5.000m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($2.000m) / Scott Laughton ($1.107m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Tye McGinn ($0.775m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Keith Yandle ($5.250m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Bruno Gervais ($0.825m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.888m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,387,094; BONUSES: $2,350,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,262,906

New moves in bold. Traded Couturier for Yandle (I know, I know, that is a terrible move but just let it happen). Signed VL. Re-signed Gagne. Signed Greiss. Traded Gus for picks (but you can change that for Coburn because I know everyone loves Gus on here and that would create more cap space too).

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Seems like the Detroit Red Wings beat writer is saying he might end up in Dallas. Saying Vinny's agent is informing teams soon or now where he is going. The waiting game will be over soon.

RJ8812*

Seems like the Detroit Red Wings beat writer is saying he might end up in Dallas. Saying Vinny's agent is informing teams soon or now where he is going. The waiting game will be over soon.

why would he be making up his mind so quickly? He can't sign the contract until Friday anyways

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
why would he be making up his mind so quickly? He can't sign the contract until Friday anyways

There were rumors(Lebrun) said he wanted to choose soon. He can negotiate with teams right now but just can't sign until Friday. Seems he rather get it done sooner rather than later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad