Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm not sure how we shuffle the deck to make it work, but I think it is pretty obvious that he will be in the AHL next year. I wouldn't be shocked to see us move Elliott if we think Allen is truly ready. That would allow us to move Cop or Binnington into the backup role and have the other + Husso in the AHL.

This is the first time in a long time where I like all of our goaltending prospects. I think Husso has the best chance of becoming a true #1, but Binnington and Cop both have the tools from what I have seen.

Elliott has the highest save percentage in the league. Period. Leave it to the Blues to trade him the year after he manages that. I really don't think that's a smart plan, even though Allen does look like he's capable of being a starter.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I'm sure Army will get some phone calls this off-season about Elliott. As an Elliott fan He deserves to be a #1 on a team and that is what I hope happens. But as a Blues fan I don't want to see him gone but I also don't see that happening on this team. If we lose Allen to an injury like we did Elliott last season we do not have the depth to get reliable play in net. This is not worth the 2nd round pick (if that) we would get for Elliott.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Elliott has the highest save percentage in the league. Period. Leave it to the Blues to trade him the year after he manages that. I really don't think that's a smart plan, even though Allen does look like he's capable of being a starter.

Preaching to the choir.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Its best to just keep both guys and let Elliott play out his contract. There isn't enough compensation in trade, and he's not paid enough to make it too expensive to keep him. If Allen is the starter and does well, great. But Elliott will probably make a strong bid for a starting position somewhere after this contract.

I don't see any of the young guys really ready to be a back-up next season. Maybe the year after that is more realistic (and after seeing Allen show durability and consistency over a season as the starter).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The only way I'd consider trading Elliott is if some team offers a top 40 pick for him, and then we go out and get a good enough veteran backup.

I don't see us getting a piece good enough to breakup the fantastic tandem that we have.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The only way I'd consider trading Elliott is if some team offers a top 40 pick for him, and then we go out and get a good enough veteran backup.

I don't see us getting a piece good enough to breakup the fantastic tandem that we have.

Any veteran back-up would be a downgrade. Like literally anyone you can name for that role. Its not worth it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Any veteran back-up would be a downgrade. Like literally anyone you can name for that role. Its not worth it.

I completely agree. I'd have no problem if Elliott was our full-time starter. The guy is criminally underrated, and I hope he gets a big deal when he eventually has to leave us. He's been the perfect professional here.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
There is still a lot of hockey to play between now and the end of their contracts. I can see a future where we trade Allen, as the goalie market at the draft had yielded some incredible returns. IF Husso stars in the AHL next year, and if Elliott plays well and wants to stay and we promise him the starting role/mentor to Husso. Allen might bring a significant return as he will still have RFA status. Not likely, but I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Allen is the guy who stays.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Elliott is probably getting the PO start. Stating the obvious but, if he plays well, they won't be trading him.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Elliott just turned 30. Goaltenders mature much later than skaters. Johnny Bower, a Hall of Fame goaltender, only started playing well in The NHL at 30. He played on a high level until age 43. Terry Sawchuck, Glenn Hall, Jacques Plante all stll played well in their early 40s.

Elliott has made himself into a high-quality NHL starting goaltender. I would start him in this season's playoffs. If he does well, I'd start him off as The Blues' starter next season. If he's still better than Allen next season, and Allen still has the same inconsistency and flaws in his game, I'd consider re-signing Elliott and trading off Allen (depending upon how Binnington Copley and Husso do next season. The decision of whether to keep Elliott or Allen doesn't really need to be made until the end of next season.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Elliott just turned 30. Goaltenders mature much later than skaters. Johnny Bower, a Hall of Fame goaltender, only started playing well in The NHL at 30. He played on a high level until age 43. Terry Sawchuck, Glenn Hall, Jacques Plante all stll played well in their early 40s.

Elliott has made himself into a high-quality NHL starting goaltender. I would start him in this season's playoffs. If he does well, I'd start him off as The Blues' starter next season. If he's still better than Allen next season, and Allen still has the same inconsistency and flaws in his game, I'd consider re-signing Elliott and trading off Allen (depending upon how Binnington Copley and Husso do next season. The decision of whether to keep Elliott or Allen doesn't really need to be made until the end of next season.

If Allen is this good at 23, imagine what he'll be in another 4-5 years if you say goalies keep getting better with age.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If Allen is this good at 23, imagine what he'll be in another 4-5 years if you say goalies keep getting better with age.
Allen is 25.

And his examples are pretty dated and irrelevant now. Goalies don't enter the league at 30 and remain good until their 40s anymore. Just look at Brodeur and all the other recent greats. The league is getting younger at every position. Yes it takes goalies longer to reach their prime but, most players are going downhill in their mid 30s these days.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I agree with this approach completely, but I also think Allen's athleticism, puck handling and rebound control mean that Allen has a higher ceiling. But Elliott's stretch in the middle of this season was worthy of a starting goalie on the top 10 in the league.

Allen hasn't been disappointing this year as much as Elliott has played remarkably well for an extended period. If he can match that in a playoff run, the Blues will be very hard to beat.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

He MIGHT be great at 27-28. But goaltending is a highly mental position. Allen has physical tools to be a great NHL goaltender. BUT, many young goalies that had the physical tools didn't have the necessary mental makeup, and failed even to become a regular starter in The NHL. We've likely got a only a limited window to win The Stanley Cup while Tarasenko and Schwartz are in their primes. I'm not saying that The Blues SHOULD trade Allen away and keep Elliott. I'm just mentioning that the decision to let Elliott go, shouldn't be an absolute given, and probably shouldn't be made until the end of next season.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And his examples are pretty dated and irrelevant now. Goalies don't enter the league at 30 and remain good until their 40s anymore. Just look at Brodeur and all the other recent greats. The league is getting younger at every position. Yes it takes goalies longer to reach their prime but, most players are going downhill in their mid 30s these days.

The thing on Elliott's side is, there isn't much wear on his tires, and he doesn't play an overly athletic/energetic style. I think Elliott should last a decent amount into his 30's, at least more so than others.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Allen is 25.

Tim Thomas and Craig Anderson disagree. There are plenty of guys who don't even win full-time jobs until their late 20s, and even more who excel into their mid-to-late 30's. 30 is not old for goalie by any stretch of the imagination. Luongo and Brodeur (and Roy and Hasek, Cujo, Belfour, etc.) show that it's not a young-goalies league...it's a good goalie's league.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Tim Thomas and Craig Anderson disagree. There are plenty of guys who don't even win full-time jobs until their late 20s, and even more who excel into their mid-to-late 30's. 30 is not old for goalie by any stretch of the imagination. Luongo and Brodeur (and Roy and Hasek, Cujo, Belfour, etc.) show that it's not a young-goalies league...it's a good goalie's league.

THESE are the names I should have used. I can't help if I'm as old as sin, and always remember the 1950s before recent things. I can see Elliott playing well into his late 30s. Meantime, if one of the other young Blues' goalies starts looking very good, it MIGHT be reasonable to consider trading off Allen.

It will all depend upon how well Allen improves on his problem areas, and plays much more consistently at a high level (technically and a smarter game-rather than just relying on his physical talent). IF all this happens, I'd keep him. IF he doesn't improve, and Elliott is still consistently excellent, AND plays very well in this sasons playoffs, then The Blues have to consider keeping Elliott.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
My point went completely over your head.

Craig Anderson is 34. Not relevant. Tim Thomas was last good in 2012, that was 4 years ago when he was 37. I never said goalies weren't good in their mid to late 30's, I said 40's is when they stopped being good these days, which is very true for the most part. Goalies are not tearing it up at 40 years old these days. You listed 5 goalies of the past to try to prove your point, and then Luongo who is only 36 so... All the best goalies in the league aside from him are nowhere near old and those couple examples don't really change that.

And I didn't call 30 old nor did I say all goalies declined in their mid 30s. But some do, and I was talking about players in general which is why I said at all positions, mainly skaters. 10 years ago it was common for teams to be carrying 37 year olds and them contributing. These days, those guys can barely get a contract. It is a young players league, just look around at how much more effective 20 year olds these days are than 37 year olds in general. This is just showing why Robb's example of a player entering the league at 30 and playing until 43 is completely irrelevant. That simply does not happen today.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
My point went completely over your head.

Craig Anderson is 34. Not relevant. Tim Thomas was last good in 2012, that was 4 years ago when he was 37. I never said goalies weren't good in their mid to late 30's, I said 40's is when they stopped being good these days, which is very true for the most part. Goalies are not tearing it up at 40 years old these days. You listed 5 goalies of the past to try to prove your point, and then Luongo who is only 36 so... All the best goalies in the league aside from him are nowhere near old and those couple examples don't really change that.

And I didn't call 30 old nor did I say all goalies declined in their mid 30s. But some do, and I was talking about players in general which is why I said at all positions, mainly skaters. 10 years ago it was common for teams to be carrying 37 year olds and them contributing. These days, those guys can barely get a contract. It is a young players league, just look around at how much more effective 20 year olds these days are than 37 year olds in general. This is just showing why Robb's example of a player entering the league at 30 and playing until 43 is completely irrelevant. That simply does not happen today.

If we got 5 years of solid starting goalie work from Elliot, I think it would be worthwhile to trade Allen. I don' think your point counters Robb's proposed strategy. But all this is predicated on Elliott making a significant post-season run followed by a solid year next season where he looks capable of being the starter.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If we got 5 years of solid starting goalie work from Elliot, I think it would be worthwhile to trade Allen. I don' think your point counters Robb's proposed strategy. But all this is predicated on Elliott making a significant post-season run followed by a solid year next season where he looks capable of being the starter.
I don't disagree. While I think Allen may still be "the future" or whatever you want to call it, they are both under contract for next year and Elliott still has time to be the guy. I just hope he gets a chance.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

Yes. Exactly this. I didn't mean that The Blues should consider trading Allen IF Allen doesn't progress next season, while Elliott plays super in the playoffs and next season, BECAUSE Elliott can play at a top-level until age 43. I meant that because he can play at a high level for another 5-7 years, and he's the better goalie now, AND Allen hasn't yet proved he has the mental makeup to play at a consistently high level as an NHL starter, THEN, they should CONSIDER trading Allen off, going with Elliott for the near term, and finding a new long-term goalie of the future, to replace him. With so much salary tied up in the defence, it would be crippling to pay TWO goalies at starter rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad