Prospect Info: Ville Husso (2014 Draft - 94 Overall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I'd imagine our scouts will pay very close attention to how he is developed. Looking like a great pick so far.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think his options are Liiga or AHL. ECHL just doesn't sound good to me.

ECHL is clear downgrade compare to Liiga and I think that isn't even option for Husso so he'll stay here in Finland, they make room for him on AHL or last one is trade him. I think AHL should be best option for Husso in current situation on his career.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
transfered post here

His starting role in Liiga might be the best thing for him, but I think we'll want to see him in the AHL.

Elliott is an UFA at the end of next season, Allen is a RFA. Allen will likely be looking for a significant pay increase and that will push Elliott out. It's safe to say there will be an NHL job open in 2017, I think we'll want Husso to get adjusted next season to fight for that position.

There was 35min interview about Hude. He didn't confirm anything yet, but they speak quite openly in past tense about time in HIFK and time in Finland.

Hude mentioned they (Blues) have contact him current season far often compare to last season. He also told they're contact him in every week regularly and have talk many times with Hude's goaltender coach Jan Lundell.
Blues have visit several times watch Hude's games and as well one time in practice. There is clear interest about Hude from Blues side.

Have to add to myself, this boy is comfy as hell, grown up now, can't wait when he comes to NA and can show what he's capable. Highly talented goaltender, Leafs made bad choice to give up that pick to us. :sarcasm:

Here is Liiga regular season goaltender stats.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
ECHL is clear downgrade compare to Liiga and I think that isn't even option for Husso so he'll stay here in Finland, they make room for him on AHL or last one is trade him. I think AHL should be best option for Husso in current situation on his career.

I think the team just wants him to come over the North America either way. I think playing in the ECHL wouldn't be as bad as you think. He'd get used to the American game (and America itself) and would probably start 90% of the games down there. Plus he'll probably see some time in the AHL as an injury reserve.

I just don't see the team moving Binnington or Copley this offseason. I would like to see him in the AHL but wouldn't be upset if he doesn't play there.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I think Husso is the best prospect we have, if he comes over then I expect to see him as the starter in the AHL soon enough.

I don't expect us to just dump Binnington or Copley, but I do expect to see some trades this summer where we see some prospect swaps. I'd be surprised if both were here next season.

Thanks for the update Ranksu.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
There was 35min interview about Hude. He didn't confirm anything yet, but they speak quite openly in past tense about time in HIFK and time in Finland.

Hude mentioned they (Blues) have contact him current season far often compare to last season. He also told they're contact him in every week regularly and have talk many times with Hude's goaltender coach Jan Lundell.
Blues have visit several times watch Hude's games and as well one time in practice. There is clear interest about Hude from Blues side.

Have to add to myself, this boy is comfy as hell, grown up now, can't wait when he comes to NA and can show what he's capable. Highly talented goaltender, Leafs made bad choice to give up that pick to us. :sarcasm:

Here is Liiga regular season goaltender stats.
Haha not the first time Toronto got taken to school by the Blues

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Husso should be in the AHL, I'm positive he's better than both Copley and Binnington. I haven't been this excited for a goalie prospect in a while, to be honest, I really think Husso could be something special.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Agree regarding Husso being our best goaltending prospect..probably by a decent margin. He can't get here soon enough and I doubt the Blues will sweat cutting Binnington or Copley's time to get Husso starts. Husso is the main priority.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Hey the Leafs got a 2nd from the Sharks for Polak though so they clearly won that deal. :sarcasm:

wloff

May 25, 2013
Two play-off games in: 2 wins, 1 shutout, 1 goal allowed, 0.50 GAA, .978 SV%.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Or we could trade one.

But I agree with the basic premise. Get Husso over to the US to start acclimating.

With Allen and Elliot having contracts up after next year we need a succession plan or at the very least know if we have the pieces to assemble one quickly.

Allen will be an unrestricted free agent after his current contract ends in 2017, right? Allen will be 27 years old at that time.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think Husso comes over and one of Binnington/Copley is traded and they'll likely just be a throw-in, neither have had very good seasons. Even if we keep both, Husso should beat them out relatively easily IMO.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm not sure how we shuffle the deck to make it work, but I think it is pretty obvious that he will be in the AHL next year. I wouldn't be shocked to see us move Elliott if we think Allen is truly ready. That would allow us to move Cop or Binnington into the backup role and have the other + Husso in the AHL.

This is the first time in a long time where I like all of our goaltending prospects. I think Husso has the best chance of becoming a true #1, but Binnington and Cop both have the tools from what I have seen.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm not sure how we shuffle the deck to make it work, but I think it is pretty obvious that he will be in the AHL next year. I wouldn't be shocked to see us move Elliott if we think Allen is truly ready. That would allow us to move Cop or Binnington into the backup role and have the other + Husso in the AHL.

This is the first time in a long time where I like all of our goaltending prospects. I think Husso has the best chance of becoming a true #1, but Binnington and Cop both have the tools from what I have seen.

Even if decide we want to give Allen 60 games next season, we aren't moving Elliott to make way for Binnington/Copley. If we can't trust either one to warm a bench for a few weeks, then there is no chance we'll view either as a full time roster player next season.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Love how we targeted Copley and now we may have to move him to fit Husso in.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

And we acquired him to give us goaltending depth in the AHL, but when we actually needed it, we went out and traded for one. All of the reasons of why we targeted him, when out the window when it came time to apply them. I have no idea why Army targeted an older goalie prospect with a pretty weak track record.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

I doubt I'll ever believe that we really targeted him.

It's something that the team can talk up at the time of the trade, make it seem like he is an important part of the deal. The fact is that with Grubauer and Samsanov, Copley was completely redundant in the Capitals system. He wasn't much more than a throw in from their point of view.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Right, I think Army just overvalued the impact that Brouwer was going to have. I think he was expecting a guy to get 45 points, instead of 35. Didn't take a genius to understand that his numbers were inflated by Washington's PP unit.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Right, I think Army just overvalued the impact that Brouwer was going to have. I think he was expecting a guy to get 45 points, instead of 35. Didn't take a genius to understand that his numbers were inflated by Washington's PP unit.

Which raises the question of what the hell are our pro scouts doing?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Which raises the question of what the hell are our pro scouts doing?

That's a great question, but we've also been asking that for awhile now. Our pro scouts are pretty suspect. The amount of players that we've either acquired or been strongly interested in that were either terrible fits, past their prime, or just not as good for the role they were filling is pretty mind-boggling.

I'll give Stewart a pass for that trade, but Miller, Ott, Roy, Weiss, Filppula, Vinny, Leopold, Brouwer, Paajarvi, etc.

Bouwmeester, Stastny, and Gunnarsson are really the only recent pro additions that have lived up to reasonable expectations in the top 9 and top 4. Arnott was also a worthwhile addition.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I doubt I'll ever believe that we really targeted him.

It's something that the team can talk up at the time of the trade, make it seem like he is an important part of the deal. The fact is that with Grubauer and Samsanov, Copley was completely redundant in the Capitals system. He wasn't much more than a throw in from their point of view.

So which part *wasn't* the throw-in? :help:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Even if decide we want to give Allen 60 games next season, we aren't moving Elliott to make way for Binnington/Copley. If we can't trust either one to warm a bench for a few weeks, then there is no chance we'll view either as a full time roster player next season.

I hope that is the case and if I were the GM Elliott wouldn't be going anywhere. My concern is that Allen takes over in the playoffs and Elliott decides that enough is enough and asks for a trade. I love Ells and want him around next year, but this organization has shown time and time again that they don't have much faith in him. If the Blues want Allen to be a true 60+ game starter next year, I wouldn't be shocked if they moved Elliott to make it happen. Allen isn't going to outplay Elliott enough to warrant a 60/20 start split, so I could see the team moving Ells if they think Allen getting 60 starts is the best thing for his development.

I would vehemently disagree with that decision, but I wouldn't be shocked by it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I think they wanted that "heavy" hockey that Brouwer brings. When he's on his game, he is very effective. He still doesn't have the playoff numbers to be hopeful though. Still a lackluster return :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad