OT: Video Game Talk (oh, also the Week before the All-Star Break Pre-Game Talk "archive")

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Then following this logic, the proliferation of female leads is not to be an extension of oneself considering the majority playing will be male. Therein lies the contradiction.
And why up until this version it's always been comfortably male.

Hence why the female protagonist who emasculates her male partners is stupid. The whole 105 pound chick beating up a 220 pound male...out running police, hopping fences and the like is visually unrealistic in a game that's trying it's best to be hyper realistic

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
You're just clearly not getting it.
Oh I believe I'm getting it just fine. The point of the protagonist is to try and expand the player base with more females in a male dominated market. The emasculating men in the process is more just a social trend.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Oh I believe I'm getting it just fine. The point of the protagonist is to try and expand the player base with more females in a male dominated market. The emasculating men in the process is more just a social trend.
No... games that are story driven use different protagonists to tell a story. Sometimes that means Russian immigrant, sometimes it means female, sometimes it means meth head. The usage of Ciri in TW3 was not to emasculate anybody, it was to move along an intriguing story.

Seems pretty simple what GTA6 is going after here, it is a modern and satirical twist on Bonnie and Clyde. If that doesn't interest you, simply don't play it.

Also... GTA is not a hyper realistic game. It is in no way a simulation or intended to be. That might be the most absurd takes in all of your takes.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
No... games that are story driven use different protagonists to tell a story. Sometimes that means Russian immigrant, sometimes it means female, sometimes it means meth head. The usage of Ciri in TW3 was not to emasculate anybody, it was to move along an intriguing story.

Seems pretty simple what GTA6 is going after here, it is a modern and satirical twist on Bonnie and Clyde. If that doesn't interest you, simply don't play it.

Also... GTA is not a hyper realistic game. It is in no way a simulation or intended to be. That might be the most absurd takes in all of your takes.
As much as you like to think you're being clever at the end of the day, money drives all decision. Making all stories have the potential being interesting and a satirical twist on Bonnie and Clyde isn't what drove the decision to have a female protagonist. It was money driven. And at the end of the day Rockstar like Disney is trying to expand their player base into being more inclusive of females because if they can expand their player base, that's 50% of the market they're trying to tap into now.

And I've already said that I'm taking a hard pass on this game. The series peaked at GTA vice city. I've said that I'll say it again. I'm just offering my commentary as everybody else is allowed to do in these boards and if you find it triggering frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
As much as you like to think you're being clever at the end of the day, money drives all decision. Making all stories have the potential being interesting and a satirical twist on Bonnie and Clyde isn't what drove the decision to have a female protagonist. It was money driven. And at the end of the day Rockstar like Disney is trying to expand their player base into being more inclusive of females because if they can expand their player base, that's 50% of the market they're trying to tap into now.

And I've already said that I'm taking a hard pass on this game. The series peaked at GTA vice city. I've said that I'll say it again. I'm just offering my commentary as everybody else is allowed to do in these boards and if you find it triggering frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
I'm not trying to be clever. I'm stating what is happening and yeah money drives all decisions. Rockstar knows their bread and butter here is making a satirical game about American culture with a compelling crime story. This will be typical Rockstar satire. Whether or not it lands in society is yet to be determined.

Reactions: katfude

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not trying to be clever. I'm stating what is happening and yeah money drives all decisions. Rockstar knows their bread and butter here is making a satirical game about American culture with a compelling crime story. This will be typical Rockstar satire. Whether or not it lands in society is yet to be determined.
Ok...well. I guess we can agree to disagree. They first said "need a story with a female lead" The second decisions was what the plot could be.

I've changed my mind however on the emasculation of male leads...that's a product of trying to make the audience believe she is in charge. Because if they didn't nerf the men, then our brains would ask why they were not in charge.

Anyways. It won't land in society. This game will sell in spite of the story, because people are hungry for a new GTA and this game looks amazing. Not to say women can't drive a story it's just more of a novelty to have a female action hero...not the norm. As the norm? It gets really old really quickly.

Look to Star Wars failing, look to Disney failing. Female Ghostbusters, Ocean's 8...I've yet to see a female action series take off with any kind of success. And the last one I can think of is Kill Bill.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don't get the extension of one's self in video games... yeah there is some immersion, but we're not in the old west, we are not mass shooting criminals (or at least I hope not), we don't fly around space, we don't F actual bears (hopefully)... they are video games. Not serious life.
I absolutely agree and I grew up with the first generation of games. I will say this though, when WoW and Guild Wars came out, that MMORPG experience for the first time, could absolutely take over someone's life. The wife and I got seriously into it for awhile but eventually we both just realized how much time we were sinking into it and decided we needed to devote more time to hobbies that grow and nurture ourselves.

We still both game for fun and game quite a bit actually, but nowhere near what those first few years of MMOs were like.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I finished Spiderman 2 and thought it was pretty good. I really love the gameplay, action and whipping around town, but I just don't care about Miles, or his friends and family at all. I grew up with Peter, MJ, Harry and Normand so I just wanted the game to focus around those characters. I don't know why they left Eddie Brock out of these Spiderman games. He's a good character and just gets shelved far too often. Overall It seems like this was just a rushed farewell to Peter so Miles can takeover for the next game. With insomniac saying Miles will be the focus going forward, I don't think I'll be playing the 3rd installment.

I also tried the new Mario wonder game, and I just couldn't get into it. I normally love the 2D Mario games, but something about this one just didn't do it for me. I haven't played a 2D platformer in good while, so I don't think it's burnout, so I'll probably give it another try in a few years.

Reactions: Azrael89

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I absolutely agree and I grew up with the first generation of games. I will say this though, when WoW and Guild Wars came out, that MMORPG experience for the first time, could absolutely take over someone's life. The wife and I got seriously into it for awhile but eventually we both just realized how much time we were sinking into it and decided we needed to devote more time to hobbies that grow and nurture ourselves.

We still both game for fun and game quite a bit actually, but nowhere near what those first few years of MMOs were like.
Oh yeah, you can absolutely get absorbed into games and they can take over way too much of your life. I'm just saying this idea that games are hyper realistic and everything has to match your own self projection just isn't the reality of the industry or how games are made. Can you imagine a game where you just sit and type on HF all day?! :laugh:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I finished Spiderman 2 and thought it was pretty good. I really love the gameplay, action and whipping around town, but I just don't care about Miles, or his friends and family at all. I grew up with Peter, MJ, Harry and Normand so I just wanted the game to focus around those characters. I don't know why they left Eddie Brock out of these Spiderman games. He's a good character and just gets shelved far too often. Overall It seems like this was just a rushed farewell to Peter so Miles can takeover for the next game. With insomniac saying Miles will be the focus going forward, I don't think I'll be playing the 3rd installment.
Yeah, totally with you. Whipping around town was the best part in Spider-Man 2 on PS2.

Oh yeah, you can absolutely get absorbed into games and they can take over way too much of your life. I'm just saying this idea that games are hyper realistic and everything has to match your own self projection just isn't the reality of the industry or how games are made. Can you imagine a game where you just sit and type on HF all day?! :laugh:
I can't wait to play that. Loser Simulator. A real Inception situation.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Sounds an awful lot like work to me. :laugh:

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

I'm pretty sure that's what the hockey professor is doing.

Reactions: henchman21

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Think we'll be able to twerk on top of a moving vehicle with the main character? Maybe that'll get Wendel interested.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't get the extension of one's self in video games... yeah there is some immersion, but we're not in the old west, we are not mass shooting criminals (or at least I hope not), we don't fly around space, we don't F actual bears (hopefully)... they are video games. Not serious life.
When I studied for the MCAT, I had a CARS passage about whether video games were an art. Didn't understand most of it, but because you're able to use your main character in a 3D sphere as you find in real life, the author proclaimed that it is. Omfg I hated that section.

Can you imagine a game where you just sit and type on HF all day?! :laugh:
Animal Crossing?

Reactions: henchman21

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Very interesting, I just cycled back on to it a couple weeks ago because I was planning to try out Monster Train and wanted to be able to compare it with the OG of the genre, and, yeah, it's cripplingly addicting.

I had beaten the secret Act 4 boss with one character when I played a couple years ago, and this time I decided that I wanted to beat it with all the characters. I am toying with the idea of playing a few Ascension levels too.

Which Ascension are you playing on?
I had only "beaten" the game once up until very recently when I finally broke through with the Watcher, finishing a vanilla run and Ascension 1 b2b. Definitely looking forward to A2 and whatever else comes after that.

What's the deal with the heart at the end, btw? Do you have to do a total set amount of damage before something happens?

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I had only "beaten" the game once up until very recently when I finally broke through with the Watcher, finishing a vanilla run and Ascension 1 b2b. Definitely looking forward to A2 and whatever else comes after that.

What's the deal with the heart at the end, btw? Do you have to do a total set amount of damage before something happens?
If you beat the game (Act III, i.e. normal victory) with the original three characters (Ironclad, Silent, and Defect), something in the game changes that will allow you to access Act IV on future runs. So it's not based on total damage to the heart, you just need a normal victory with the three original characters. I'm being a bit cryptic to avoid potential spoilers, but happy to expand on this. As a side note, you can play Act IV on any Ascension level, but it's recommended to try it in the base game first.

As for my own progress, I beat Act IV with all the characters, and I've just wrapped up A5 runs with Ironclad and Silent.

The game is really, really, really good.

Reactions: The Merchant

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I started playing the Dead Space remake. I'm only about 2 hours in and I'm already having a blast. So far it has the right amount of creepy and action. I love that they kept all the dismemberment, stopping with bodies exploding and gore. I also love when games have ragdoll. It can be silly at times, but when works, it looks great.

The weirdest thing is how they changed how Issac looks. His hair being brown instead black is the thing that I noticed the most. I also don't know why they changed his voice actor, I thought the old VA did great job in 2 and 3. The new guy isn't bad, but again just kinda weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Moops

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I recently played NG+ with Metro Exodus with some of the modifiers (crazier weather, harder mutants + humans), but kinda offset it with being able to have the guns and modifications I finished with last time. Was pretty fun. Had to change my tactics a bit since throwing knives weren't an automatic kill anymore.

Then I played Two Colonels and Sam's Story. Two Colonels was pretty short (like 2 hours), but it was decent, Sam's Story was pretty difficult and like 10 hours, so a pretty solid DLC for the price.

My biggest gripe is that I felt like there were some QA stuff broken in Sam's Story (inconsistent auto-save spots), and this was compounded by the fact that you can't quick save on Ranger Hardcore, so there were 2-3 spots where I'd spend 20 minutes trying to beat a mission only to be one-shot at the very end which was incredibly frustrating, but was pretty fun overall. Probably my favorite series of games.

Reactions: sethro109

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
I recently played NG+ with Metro Exodus with some of the modifiers (crazier weather, harder mutants + humans), but kinda offset it with being able to have the guns and modifications I finished with last time. Was pretty fun. Had to change my tactics a bit since throwing knives weren't an automatic kill anymore.

Then I played Two Colonels and Sam's Story. Two Colonels was pretty short (like 2 hours), but it was decent, Sam's Story was pretty difficult and like 10 hours, so a pretty solid DLC for the price.

My biggest gripe is that I felt like there were some QA stuff broken in Sam's Story (inconsistent auto-save spots), and this was compounded by the fact that you can't quick save on Ranger Hardcore, so there were 2-3 spots where I'd spend 20 minutes trying to beat a mission only to be one-shot at the very end which was incredibly frustrating, but was pretty fun overall. Probably my favorite series of games.
I bought this the other day. 2033 was great, Last Light felt like it was made by people who loved 2033 but didn't understand a thing about it.

Reactions: The Moops

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I bought this the other day. 2033 was great, Last Light felt like it was made by people who loved 2033 but didn't understand a thing about it.
Exodus is great overall, but it really shines in closed off spaces like the Metro. But I think Exodus is "open-world" done right. No fetch quests, but big enough to explore a little and not have a total linear plot like the others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad