Vermilion County Bobcats' Struggles

How long do the Vermilion County Bobcats last?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
They pulled the Zamboni over next the the boards and stood on top of it to make repairs. It probably took 15 minutes to get the glass fixed. When they were done and moved the Zam, there was a hole in the ice
One of the first things I was taught when learning to drive the zamboni was to never stop on the ice for that exact reason. The water dripping or any metal touching the ice will melt right through.

I was at a Swamp Rabbits game and it ended up being delayed for over two hours because the ice had pulled away from the boards while they had had the basketball court down. They were packing the edges with snow and using a fire extinguisher to freeze it, but still took several hours to become playable. Glad they did end up playing because the two hour drive back to Atlanta would not have been fun.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
One of the first things I was taught when learning to drive the zamboni was to never stop on the ice for that exact reason. The water dripping or any metal touching the ice will melt right through.

I was at a Swamp Rabbits game and it ended up being delayed for over two hours because the ice had pulled away from the boards while they had had the basketball court down. They were packing the edges with snow and using a fire extinguisher to freeze it, but still took several hours to become playable. Glad they did end up playing because the two hour drive back to Atlanta would not have been fun.

Could the "stopped zamboni as ladder" trick work if the zamboni was turned off?

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Could the "stopped zamboni as ladder" trick work if the zamboni was turned off?

No. The tires are warmer than the ice, so if you stop it for 10 minutes, there are still holes in the ice where the tires were stopped. The machine only has to be stopped for about a minute for that to start to happen. Give it 10 minutes, and you have four holes probably 1/2 the depth of the ice surface.

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
No. The tires are warmer than the ice, so if you stop it for 10 minutes, there are still holes in the ice where the tires were stopped. The machine only has to be stopped for about a minute for that to start to happen. Give it 10 minutes, and you have four holes probably 1/2 the depth of the ice surface.
Will this be on the quarterly science exam? :teach2:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Historic night in Danville, as the Bobcats earned their first point with a 3-2 OT loss against Knoxville. ...
Martinis & manipedies for the entire Boob-cats front office! They can use the money from my "opening weekend" tickets.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Hard to stay focused in a party town like Danville.

It's about a seven hour bus from Knoxville to Danville, so I doubt they got there before the three bars in town (thanks google!) closed.

Knowing the SPHL, they almost certainly slept on the bus in the parking lot of Palmer Arena.

Yes, SPHL teams really do that.

No, they won't get a hotel with late checkout.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Off topic:

I played a lot of pick-up and men's league with one of the Bobcats players. To me, he was a great hockey player. However, the fact that he can't score with the cats is eye opening in regards to how high the skill level is in the SPHL.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It's about a seven hour bus from Knoxville to Danville, so I doubt they got there before the three bars in town (thanks google!) closed.

Knowing the SPHL, they almost certainly slept on the bus in the parking lot of Palmer Arena. ...
With the engine turned off to save fuel. Cuddle up, boys.

Reactions: Roadhog

Af77

Sep 23, 2020
Time for Jean-Guy to resign in shame. :facepalm:
Slightly off topic but this is the most ordinary I can remember the Rivermen ever looking in awhile (at least since QC joined and I started following it)

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Ben Churchfield looks to be a nice find for them. He'll need a ton of help still but he's got a .942 sv% in his first two games. As previously noted, those games were against Birmingham but he was a solid D3 goalie.

With VC almost certainly out of the playoffs, it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a look for the G3 spot for Great Britain in the World Championships.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

GindyDraws

#HutchOut
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The Bobcats surprised everyone's expectations by living through the entire season.

The Bobcats, however, met everyone's expectations by being horrendous, only winning 5 games this season.

The local paper, which barely has a lot to talk about, didn't focus on the team much this season, instead focusing on high school and college wooden bat sports (cause travel is cheaper for reporters and those teams tend to be better).

Reactions: Atlantian

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The Danville Commercial-News was never particularly attentive to Dashers hockey, either. Nothing unique in their volume of Bobcats coverage. The paper knows their readership's interests.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad