Vermilion County Bobcats' Struggles

How long do the Vermilion County Bobcats last?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
To pin this on the team isn't really fair or even accurate. The arena somehow thought it was a good idea to screw over the Dashers in order to get an SPHL team then kept up the same ineptitude the Dashers complained about and actually let it get worse.
I agree with you at a top level, BUT ... If Ms. Tully was a smart businesswoman, she would have realized what a morass of petty local politics she was stepping into when she moved forward with her big dream of owning and operating (such as she ever did) a hockey team in Danville. If Barry Soskin had a mortal soul, I imagine it'd be feeling a great sense of vindication right about now.

Af77

Sep 23, 2020
I agree with you at a top level, BUT ... If Ms. Tully was a smart businesswoman, she would have realized what a morass of petty local politics she was stepping into when she moved forward with her big dream of owning and operating (such as she ever did) a hockey team in Danville. If Barry Soskin had a mortal soul, I imagine it'd be feeling a great sense of vindication right about now.
Would it also be fair to say that the way she has operated the team hasn't helped the team's cause either?

GindyDraws

#HutchOut
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
As far as incompetent minor league businesswomen, where does she rank? Certainly she's higher than Danielle "Justin Bieber at the ballpark in December" Dronet?

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
When your arena management is making the Vermillion County Bobcats look like the competent ones, maybe it's time to outsource operations to an arena management company that knows how to stay on the right side of...well, ANY code.

Reactions: Roadhog

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
When your arena management is making the Vermillion County Bobcats look like the competent ones, maybe it's time to outsource operations to an arena management company that knows how to stay on the right side of...well, ANY code.
Reading what public info I could find on the latest drama within the Vermilion County Board of Directors for Palmer Arena operations, I see no sign of them making smarter choices than they have in the past. Specifically on the topic of arena management, they have appointed as interim arena GM their board secretary - who was (and maybe still is?) - the arena's HR director. Doesn't sound to me like they're on a path to making positive changes.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
As far as incompetent minor league businesswomen, where does she rank? Certainly she's higher than Danielle "Justin Bieber at the ballpark in December" Dronet?
Less than 2 years into her team ownership, I suppose I'd give Ms. Tully an "Incomplete" grade in her hockey business performance. But I doubt she has impressed anyone with her business savvy by her choice of profile photo nor in her hiring & retaining of a team security director nor with the Bobcats' revolving door routine of media & coaching staff. Questionable decisions like those don't bode well for her final grade.

• Wow
Reactions: HockeyDude16

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Less than 2 years into her team ownership, I suppose I'd give Ms. Tully an "Incomplete" grade in her hockey business performance. But I doubt she has impressed anyone with her business savvy by her choice of profile photo nor in her hiring & retaining of a team security director nor with the Bobcats' revolving door routine of media & coaching staff. Questionable decisions like those don't bode well for her final grade.

Having read the complaint the team filed against the Arena board, it's pretty obvious that the arena management is incompetent if even half of the allegations are true. That said, Ellen has still managed to be the worst owner of an expansion team in the SPHL since Danny Smith in Louisiana.

Even a great franchise operator can be sunk by an incompetent arena operator. Ellen has done herself no favors operating this team, but it would certainly appear that the arena management hasn't helped. Some of the blame can be handed to Doug Price and the league's governors, who should have better investigated the arena situation before awarding a franchise.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
4-1 loss to Birmingham on Friday in the home opener, in front of a crowd of 478 people.

DS Palmer Arena can be a loud place with that number of butts in seats. Especially when they're celebrating the first time a Boob-cats home opener was played on schedule. :sarcasm:

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
4-1 loss to Birmingham on Friday in the home opener, in front of a crowd of 478 people.

They announced 478, so did the actual number exceed 200? And then they drew an announced crowd of 430 the second game. Two openings, 908 total attendance.

Let's be generous and say every ticket cost $15, and none of them were comped. That's $13,620 in total revenue. Luckily, they have two more home dates before they have to go on a (potential) overnight trip to QC and a definite multi-night trip to Fayettenam, so if they draw twice as many for those two games (hahahahahaha) they might be closer to breaking even. Those two trips are going to cost $5K-7K just for the bus, leaving out player and staff (do they have a staff beyond the head coach?) per diem and hotels... though I guess they could always trade a goalie for a block of hotel rooms. It's been done before in this "league."

But hey, they have a director of team security!

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Maybe... Maybe I don't need to schedule a trip up that a ways this year....
At the very least, don't buy advance tickets and DON'T book a non-refundable hotel room to save a few bucks. Advice from an initially enthusiastic hockey fan who never got to see the Boob-cats' franchise home opener. :ha:

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Somehow it escaped me that it was Ellen's brother hired accused abuser Chico Adrahtas to coach the Danville Wings junior A team that played at Palmer Arena ...
Maybe someday Josh will have his own Director of Security like his baby sister does. 'Papa' Lou is looking down with pride on his offspring.

GindyDraws

#HutchOut
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Somehow it escaped me that it was Ellen's brother hired accused abuser Chico Adrahtas to coach the Danville Wings junior A team that played at Palmer Arena:

Ah, yes. the Wings, the team that moved to Indianapolis when the Ice got sold and shipped out to Topeka. Wonder why they were a motivated seller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad