Seravalli: Vegas looking to terminate Lehner deal after he failed to report for physical

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Although I was ticked off when I initially heard about it, I read this morning that Vegas had the legal right to terminate Lehner's contract but didn't want to do so. All they wanted was cap relief.

So the team basically said, look, we're willing to pay him the actual dollars of the contract, but we don't want this contract to count against the cap. The player gets their money, we get cap relief. Everyone wins.

The NHLPA was fine with Lehner getting his money. That is all they really care about. The league understood the Golden Knights could get out of paying anything at all and get cap relief anyway. I think everyone involved wanted Lehner to still get paid. That speaks volumes about the current situation.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Although I was ticked off when I initially heard about it, I read this morning that Vegas had the legal right to terminate Lehner's contract but didn't want to do so. All they wanted was cap relief.

So the team basically said, look, we're willing to pay him the actual dollars of the contract, but we don't want this contract to count against the cap. The player gets their money, we get cap relief. Everyone wins.

The NHLPA was fine with Lehner getting his money. That is all they really care about. The league understood the Golden Knights could get out of paying anything at all and get cap relief anyway. I think everyone involved wanted Lehner to still get paid. That speaks volumes about the current situation.
Thanks for explaining it clearer, I'll admit I was misunderstanding what was going on. Hope Lehner is doing ok

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Thanks for explaining it clearer, I'll admit I was misunderstanding what was going on. Hope Lehner is doing ok

Vegas has a reputation for being ruthless with how they treat players, so I was surprised they bent over backwards to still pay Lehner. Maybe they think he can recover and will still play pro league hockey? I don't know.

We do know the situation with Lehner is serious.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Vegas has a reputation for being ruthless with how they treat players, so I was surprised they bent over backwards to still pay Lehner. Maybe they think he can recover and will still play pro league hockey? I don't know.

I think they just valued the cap savings over the recouped cash. Both the Richards and Kane terminations ended with the teams getting cap charges from their settlements.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Ruthless unless the player is from, or has played in, Manitoba. :laugh:

Lehner has his own struggles, which is most likely why they're ok paying him the money.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

They are only ruthless about bending the rules for cap benefit. They love the idea of paying a player without having a cap hit attached or other consequence. I doubt Philly will get any grace over Johansen

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I'm surprised they've waited this long. Samsonov has looked great so far in Vegas. But we all know Cassidy's system is gravy for any goalie playing there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad