Seravalli: Vegas looking to terminate Lehner deal after he failed to report for physical

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Although I was ticked off when I initially heard about it, I read this morning that Vegas had the legal right to terminate Lehner's contract but didn't want to do so. All they wanted was cap relief.

So the team basically said, look, we're willing to pay him the actual dollars of the contract, but we don't want this contract to count against the cap. The player gets their money, we get cap relief. Everyone wins.

The NHLPA was fine with Lehner getting his money. That is all they really care about. The league understood the Golden Knights could get out of paying anything at all and get cap relief anyway. I think everyone involved wanted Lehner to still get paid. That speaks volumes about the current situation.

Reactions: RogerRogerr

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Although I was ticked off when I initially heard about it, I read this morning that Vegas had the legal right to terminate Lehner's contract but didn't want to do so. All they wanted was cap relief.

So the team basically said, look, we're willing to pay him the actual dollars of the contract, but we don't want this contract to count against the cap. The player gets their money, we get cap relief. Everyone wins.

The NHLPA was fine with Lehner getting his money. That is all they really care about. The league understood the Golden Knights could get out of paying anything at all and get cap relief anyway. I think everyone involved wanted Lehner to still get paid. That speaks volumes about the current situation.
Thanks for explaining it clearer, I'll admit I was misunderstanding what was going on. Hope Lehner is doing ok

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad