Seravalli: Vegas looking to terminate Lehner deal after he failed to report for physical

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lehner gets his money.
It doesn’t count against the Vegas cap.
But the league counts it in the 50-50 split with the NHLPA.
It’s clear the league favours certain franchises. Snd why? Maybe because the league knows some franchises need every advantage possible to be a winner or the fans won’t come to game? Zero chance a Canadian club gets this kind of break on their cap.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
Absolute bullshit. Other GM's should be raising hell

I guess Minnesota should've just had their two paperweights not report for camp and then come to a settlement so they didn't have huge buyout cap hits.
both those guys remained in the league and got new contacts though? Not really the same is it?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
They (and more importantly, the NHL) are afraid of the inevitable shitstorm when the uniformed, click bait media pickup the story of a professional sports team terminating the contract of a poor innocent person struggling with mental health. Is it factual? No. But that doesn't matter in the low attention span TikTok world we're forced to live in
So if the NHL is so paralyzed with fear by bad press then don’t approve the team to terminate the contract and let them handle it for the last year of the deal the same way they have since this saga began, problem solved.

The league makes accommodations for Lehner to fail his physical in a compassionate way, mindful of his mental health disorder. He gets his 5M, the league looks good and everyone goes on their merry way.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
So if the NHL is so paralyzed with fear by bad press then don’t approve the team to terminate the contract and let them handle it for the last year of the deal the same way they have since this saga began, problem solved.
Because, as others have noted, this would open up a loop hole for other teams to abuse.

The league makes accommodations for Lehner to fail his physical in a compassionate way, mindful of his mental health disorder. He gets his 5M, the league looks good and everyone goes on their merry way.
The league wants this to be a unique issue so other teams don't try to copy it on the sly. It's painfully obvious this situation is unique. The league doesn't want to reward Lehner for breaching his contract. They actually handled this about as well as they could've

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Because, as others have noted, this would open up a loop hole for other teams to abuse.

The league wants this to be a unique issue so other teams don't try to copy it on the sly. It's painfully obvious this situation is unique. The league doesn't want to reward Lehner for breaching his contract. They actually handled this about as well as they could've
What you’re saying makes absolutely zero sense. The league created the loophole for other teams to abuse by approving the contract termination and setting a precedent.

The league didn’t want to reward Lehner so they punished him by paying him the money for the contract even after he breached said contract in their view? Explain how that makes sense.

Whats stopping a player from skipping a physical and claiming a mental health disorder? Most people these days can claim a history of mental health issues other themselves or in their family and most people have probably had some sort of therapy or taken medication for some sort of mental health issue. Not difficult to elicit a mental health diagnoses these days. I get my pay out and no longer have to go through the ltir motions. The team isn’t going to fight me on it, they want the contract to go away. Is the league going to step in and fight a grievance or lawsuit in that situation or would they also be afraid of the public blowback as you, yourself suggested as their motivation for allowing this situation to happen.

Like I said earlier, they’ve created the loophole and backed themselves into a corner on it by approving the contract termination when there was a much simpler solution. The league arranges for Lehner to have a physical, he fails, goes on ltir as he has the other seasons, gets his money and no “unique” resolution is required. The team can fine him for not reporting for the physical on time.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
it's been discussed ad nauseum

it got to this point because No physical = no LTIR

No LTIR means Vegas has 3 options.
  • Do nothing and be over the cap... not an option
  • Suspend without pay
  • Terminate contract

Both 2 & 3 have the same result, the NHLPA files a grievance and uses his mental health as a platform to get him his money... which is bad PR for the NHL and Vegas... so they agreed to pay him out to avoid the bullshit that would come with the grievance.

It's really really simple and makes sense if you take 5 seconds and think about it logically

I understand the process but you can keep repeating it if you like.

Do you think this was handled well from a PR perspective? You had Vegas announcing the termination out of the blue, feeding in to their reputation as ruthless. Then a statement from the player saying the league and team knew he wouldn’t be there. Now you have a team paying the player and getting cap relief when there’s already been so many questions about this team getting competitive advantages in the past.

And yes I know you believe everything Vegas has done is well within the rules but PR isn’t just about you. With all parties involved knowing the situation prior to training camp this was about as bad as you could have handled the situation. They knew what was going to happen and let it happen just to come to a settlement?

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I understand the process but you can keep repeating it if you like.

Do you think this was handled well from a PR perspective? You had Vegas announcing the termination out of the blue, feeding in to their reputation as ruthless. Then a statement from the player saying the league and team knew he wouldn’t be there. Now you have a team paying the player and getting cap relief when there’s already been so many questions about this team getting competitive advantages in the past.

And yes I know you believe everything Vegas has done is well within the rules but PR isn’t just about you. With all parties involved knowing the situation prior to training camp this was about as bad as you could have handled the situation. They knew what was going to happen and let it happen just to come to a settlement?
Vegas hasn't announced shit.

Literally all they've said was that they knew he wasn't coming and they were looking into things, AFTER Lehner said something.

You need to learn reporters leaking stuff, ain't announcements.

How in any way is this bad PR for Vegas or the NHL? Oh no they let a guy that's mentally ill have his 4.5m salary without fighting him over it. What a bunch of f***ing monsters!!!!

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Vegas hasn't announced shit.

Literally all they've said was that they knew he wasn't coming and they were looking into things, AFTER Lehner said something.

You need to learn reporters leaking stuff, ain't announcements.

How in any way is this bad PR for Vegas or the NHL? Oh no they let a guy that's mentally ill have his 4.5m salary without fighting him over it. What a bunch of f***ing monsters!!!!

I’m happy Lehner is getting paid, I have zero issues with that. I will always advocate for the players getting theirs.

Sorry it wasn’t an announcement. McCrimmon spoke to the media on the 19th, confirming the leak BEFORE Lehner said anything on the 21st. FWIW, a leak is often announcement, though in this case I don’t believe it came from the team.

I explained how it is bad PR, I’m not surprised you didn't acknowledge it. You are too focused on being right and condescending to attempt to understand any other perspective.

This playing out publicly over weeks when there was knowledge that he wouldn’t report is a failure on the part of Vegas and the NHL. Did they think the player wasnt going to file grievance.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I’m happy Lehner is getting paid, I have zero issues with that. I will always advocate for the players getting theirs.

Sorry it wasn’t an announcement. McCrimmon spoke to the media on the 19th, confirming the leak BEFORE Lehner said anything on the 21st. FWIW, a leak is often announcement, though in this case I don’t believe it came from the team.

I explained how it is bad PR, I’m not surprised you didn't acknowledge it. You are too focused on being right and condescending to attempt to understand any other perspective.

This playing out publicly over weeks when there was knowledge that he wouldn’t report is a failure on the part of Vegas and the NHL. Did they think the player wasnt going to file grievance.

Blame the media for saying that the team were going to terminate the contract when the team did none of the sort.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He said that Lehner would not be on the cap THIS season. He did not say that Lehner's cap hit was removed entirely.

Looking at the Richard settlement, it is clear that termination fees are charged in the year they occur at the exact rate that they are paid out. They aren't charged with an AAV starting from the termination date.

My prediction is that the settlement is deferred salary (No relation to the rule used in the Jarvis contract). Deferred salary as in, Lehner won't get his settlement for a few years, and there is no cap hit until the settlement begins in 2030 or whatever the date might be.

If Lehner is dealing with creditors, that might prevent or dissuade them from going after that money, and instead convince them to take a lower payment now. If Lehner isn't the best with money, and they agree to splitting that 5M over 10 or 20 years, that also ensures that along with his NHL pension, he probably can't become completely destitute. The above is obviously speculation based on what has come out in news articles, so maybe the guys financial situation is actual peachy.

The only way I see this as circumvention is if there was a previous agreement for Lehner to miss the physical, with the idea being that the settlement would be win/win. Even if it was, there would be no way for the league to prove it, short of someone involved being stupid enough to put it on the record. I also don't know if that would meet the league's definition of circumvention, I'm just saying that in my mind if it is premeditated, then other fans are right to cry circumvention. If it wasn't premeditated, Vegas just got lucky.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

That playing out publicly wasn't really public, now was it. Just a bunch of the leagues more hardcore fans speculating on what will happen and a couple reporters only hardcore fans follow were reporting it. Calling this playing it out in the public is a MASSIVE overstatement, and also you can't just snap your fingers and be done. The team was clearly trying to do this quietly and it was leaked, likely by his agent to try and guarantee some money for his client.

I've said multiple times they came to this agreement so there wouldn't be a grievance, because that's when the NHLPA would do their best to make the league and team look bad and then you'd likely see mental health advocates get involved in the public discussions.

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
I would bet Lehner is threatening to claim mental health problems if Vegas rightfully terminates his contract. The media shit storm the bleeding hearts would cause over something like that ain't worth it for the NHL & Vegas. Much easier to pay him the money to stfu and gtfo
lol at thinking the media in the US would give 2 shits about a contract dispute between the Vegas NHL team and their washed up ex-goalie, “mental health problems” or otherwise

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
lol at thinking the media in the US would give 2 shits about a contract dispute between the Vegas NHL team and their washed up ex-goalie, “mental health problems” or otherwise

Media would love to trash the league/team for terminating a contract to a player that has metal health issues cause negative news sells them clicks thus more ad money.

Reactions: JKG33

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
What were they supposed to do instead?

If the season started and Lehner wasn’t on LTIR because he never showed up for his physical then everything would’ve come out then anyway. Not to mention the fact that at some point the media would’ve inquired about his status during training camp.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
What you’re saying makes absolutely zero sense. The league created the loophole for other teams to abuse by approving the contract termination and setting a precedent.

The league didn’t want to reward Lehner so they punished him by paying him the money for the contract even after he breached said contract in their view? Explain how that makes sense.

Whats stopping a player from skipping a physical and claiming a mental health disorder? Most people these days can claim a history of mental health issues other themselves or in their family and most people have probably had some sort of therapy or taken medication for some sort of mental health issue. Not difficult to elicit a mental health diagnoses these days. I get my pay out and no longer have to go through the ltir motions. The team isn’t going to fight me on it, they want the contract to go away. Is the league going to step in and fight a grievance or lawsuit in that situation or would they also be afraid of the public blowback as you, yourself suggested as their motivation for allowing this situation to happen.

Like I said earlier, they’ve created the loophole and backed themselves into a corner on it by approving the contract termination when there was a much simpler solution. The league arranges for Lehner to have a physical, he fails, goes on ltir as he has the other seasons, gets his money and no “unique” resolution is required. The team can fine him for not reporting for the physical on time.
If you'd read my posts I've addressed several times why this situation is unique. Lehner's time in Vegas has been nothing short of a circus. The league is only giving Lehner his money because he'd cry mental health to the media if they don't, otherwise Vegas would have easy grounds to terminate based on his conduct.

If you think another player, with agreement from their team, is going to parade around like Lehner has done these last few years, I'd love to have some of what you're smoking. They'd be terminated without pay so f***ing fast, the only reason Lehner has a case is because he blamed his being out of shape on mental health, when he could barely move across the net years ago

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If you'd read my posts I've addressed several times why this situation is unique. Lehner's time in Vegas has been nothing short of a circus. The league is only giving Lehner his money because he'd cry mental health to the media if they don't, otherwise Vegas would have easy grounds to terminate based on his conduct.

If you think another player, with agreement from their team, is going to parade around like Lehner has done these last few years, I'd love to have some of what you're smoking. They'd be terminated without pay so f***ing fast, the only reason Lehner has a case is because he blamed his being out of shape on mental health, when he could barely move across the net years ago
He had double hip surgery a while ago which is why his career is pretty much done. The team/league/union knows why he couldn't travel for the physical and to be frank its none of our business as to why that is. Clearly Lehner isn't willing to share that.

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
If you'd read my posts I've addressed several times why this situation is unique. Lehner's time in Vegas has been nothing short of a circus. The league is only giving Lehner his money because he'd cry mental health to the media if they don't, otherwise Vegas would have easy grounds to terminate based on his conduct
Why would Vegas care about Lehner complaining to the media? You are grossly overestimating

1. the degree to which the media in the US cares about hockey.
2. the degree to which it would be considered inflammatory if the team cut him for not fulfilling his contractual obligation to get a physical

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
There is no chance Lehner returns to play. Vegas was going to get cap relief no matter what. We're just quibbling over how. It's not similar to Stone or Kucherov. They actually return to play.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
You have to understand. It's a special circumstance for Gary's special golden boys. The no show job is an oldie but a goodie.
This is 100% accurate.

This doesn't happen on any other team in the league. The Avs have a drug addict that has submarined TWO different playoffs that apparently they can't do anything about but the golden turds whack job goalie doesn't show up for preseason so the cap hit goes away ? Whatta joke.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
It seems to me Montreal should be getting $10.5 Million in cap relief for Cary Price after this.

Price will never play again. same situation. Just don't report for a physical.

Reactions: Blackjack

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
it's been discussed ad nauseum

it got to this point because No physical = no LTIR

No LTIR means Vegas has 3 options.
  • Do nothing and be over the cap... not an option
  • Suspend without pay
  • Terminate contract

Both 2 & 3 have the same result, the NHLPA files a grievance and uses his mental health as a platform to get him his money... which is bad PR for the NHL and Vegas... so they agreed to pay him out to avoid the bullshit that would come with the grievance.

It's really really simple and makes sense if you take 5 seconds and think about it logically

Easy. Suspend without pay.

Lehner wants his money, he needs to haul his butt onto a plane and show up to fail his physical. Even with the most severe mental health problems out there, it's not that much to ask for a multi million dollar check.

You act like a mixed bag of PR for the 30 seconds people will care about the story will somehow cause the NHL to collapse on itself. It won't. The NHL has been through one hell of a lot of bigger and badder stories than Robin Lehner and his mental health woes.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
He doesn't even need to show up for a physical..

Send a doctor to his house.

This is all such nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad