Seravalli: Vegas looking to terminate Lehner deal after he failed to report for physical

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
That’s not how it works. Every grievance settlement where the terminated player was paid included a cap hit for the team equal to the payments.

Mike Richards, Evander Kane, Corey Perry et al.
I guess they found a new way to make it work. Wonder if there’s going to be a sufficient degree of transparency for what changed / under what abstract circumstances cap is now allowed to disappear.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Absolute BS, every other team needs to ask for similar relief for their bad contracts and if denied sue the league. It's anti-competitive at this point.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Lehner, 33, is still expected to receive the $4.5 million owed to him this season. Sources indicated the Golden Knights had a strong case to fully terminate the deal, which would result in no pay, but they didn’t want to pursue that path – as they were only seeking salary cap relief. From the NHLPA perspective, protecting a player’s earnings was of the utmost importance, and the resulting salary cap change is mostly immaterial – resulting in the agreed upon settlement. His $4.5 million is still expected to count against the players’ share of the 50/50 revenue split with owners.

Reactions: theslatcher

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
That is a pretty major precedent. Just put on some pounds, and you'll get paid and the team gets cap relief. Does the NHL understand what they just agreed to?

Forget Robidas Island, we now have Lehner Island!!!
Looks to me like what the NHL agreed to is that if a player report to your team they don’t have to count towards your team’s cap. Can anyone actually tell me why this is unfair or do people just hate Vegas so much that they don’t even care if what they’re saying makes sense?

Reactions: JKG33

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Lehner is still getting his full money despite not even showing up, personally that seems incredibly generous of all involved as far as I'm concerned. Surprised Vegas didn’t push to not have to owe him anything

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Looks to me like what the NHL agreed to is that if a player report to your team they don’t have to count towards your team’s cap. Can anyone actually tell me why this is unfair or do people just hate Vegas so much that they don’t even care if what they’re saying makes sense?

If they don't report then the contract is voided... you can't have it both ways, yet here we are. Given that they've also repeatedly abused LTIR without punishment, people are well within right to believe that Vegas is being governed by a completely different set of rules than the rest of the league. It's shady at best and outright corruption at worst.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
If they don't report then the contract is voided... you can't have it both ways, yet here we are. Given that they've also repeatedly abused LTIR without punishment, people are well within right to believe that Vegas is being governed by a completely different set of rules than the rest of the league. It's shady at best and outright corruption at worst.
Did you even read what happened here? Vegas had a real case to void the deal but didn’t actually care about the real money and likely wanted to avoid a battle with the PA so he’s still getting paid. Would you have preferred they went for termination and gotten completely off the hook?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Does it make sense to pay a player *not* to play for your team? Does it make sense to sign a contract, have that contract count toward the salary cap, and then suddenly decide -- no it doesn't?

I understand everyone's positions here. The fact remains that Vegas signs guys, has them not count toward the cap with non bona fide hockey injuries and gets cap reliefs no other team has ever sought. That's ... hate? It's special rules for special guys.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I find it interesting that Vegas only asked for cap relief rather than a full-out termination, which IMO they were entitled to. Looks like they tried to do Lehner a solid, but since it's Vegas everyone is bitching and whining

Does it make sense to pay a player *not* to play for your team? Does it make sense to sign a contract, have that contract count toward the salary cap, and then suddenly decide -- no it doesn't?

I understand everyone's positions here. The fact remains that Vegas signs guys, has them not count toward the cap with non bona fide hockey injuries and gets cap reliefs no other team has ever sought. That's ... hate? It's special rules for special guys.
You need to take off that tinfoil hat...

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
It’s just a new way of circumventing the cap. Not a shot at Vegas, but for teams that sign players that are older, LTIR relief isn’t the only game in town now.

Now a player doesn’t have to retire mid contract. Sign that 7 year deal at 34 years of age, and just get fat at 39 and you will get paid, and team gets cap relief.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Would you have preferred they went for termination and gotten completely off the hook?

Yes, because that's the actual rule. But Vegas gets to invent their own for unknown reasons, and we're left to speculate as to what's happening behind closed doors that allows for such a luxury.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I find it interesting that Vegas only asked for cap relief rather than a full-out termination, which IMO they were entitled to. Looks like they tried to do Lehner a solid, but since it's Vegas everyone is bitching and whining

You need to take off that tinfoil hat...
Good one. The point is that if Lehner doesn't do a physical -- neither failing nor passing -- Vegas can't legitimately LTIR him. Unlike Stone, there's nothing shady about it. This is a slightly inelegant solution but it satisfies the NHLPA and Lehner and to an extent the league and Vegas.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It’s just a new way of circumventing the cap. Not a shot at Vegas, but for teams that sign players that are older, LTIR relief isn’t the only game in town now.
Pretty sure the overwhelming majority of players who sign big contracts don’t refuse to report to their training camp physical

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Pretty sure the overwhelming majority of players who sign big contracts don’t refuse to report to their training camp physical
Absolutely, but now the older ones who want to retire can do so and get paid.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Good one. The point is that if Lehner doesn't do a physical -- neither failing nor passing -- Vegas can't legitimately LTIR him. Unlike Stone, there's nothing shady about it. This is a slightly inelegant solution but it satisfies the NHLPA and Lehner and to an extent the league and Vegas.
Clearly you don't grasp what is happening.

They have grounds to terminate his contract because he didn't show up for his physical that everyone knows he'd fail. Termination of the contract would take Lehner's cap hit off the books and save them 4.5m... instead they only asked for the cap relief... which they would have gotten anyways

but right, vegas, conspiracy!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad