Vanderbeek Thanks Fans, Devils Fanbase Finally Turning The Corner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think any STH would prefer to go to to a full arena than a half empty one regardless of how they get people in the seats.

STH have so many other benefits like the meet and greet, playoff priority, and other benefits. Usually the season ticket holders know about it every time they sell the tickets, I believe they go through them first then the public.

I am a full season ticket holder and personally have no problem with ticket discounts/promos/etc to fill the building.

In fact I like it that more fans have access to games and the arena atmosphere is much better when a full house.

Not everyone thinks like us though unfortunately.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
R.I.P to PTC threads???:amazed:

We probably should have had them, it would have been fascinating to see how far off people were in the attendance in some of these games :laugh:

I know I would have guessed 17,625 for this one with the way things were going, but I definitely wouldn't have had the Isles/Carolina games as sellouts. Then again, the numbers are going to be a bit skewed this year with the giveaway tickets (both sth giveaway and kid giveaway, which factored into today).

Last edited:

Lou's Koolaid

I live here
Jan 12, 2007
KWT660
We probably should have had them, it would have been fascinating to see how far off people were in the attendance in some of these games :laugh:
Weird how that Tampa game only had 14,800. This is great though. I feel less guilty not attending any games so far. 30+years in the making now we haz fans!:handclap:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
On the one hand, I don't feel too bad that two of the three games I missed were the regulation losses. On the other I need to not sell off too many more games if that trend continues :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The early March games will be goosed by the kid vouchers and the fact they're all 'special' pricing. Then after that, three guaranteed sellouts and a near-guaranteed one on the 23rd.

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ
I don't like sellouts, but I know I'm in the minority. Too crowded, too many idiots and too much traffic.

Again I know I'm in the minority, but just giving my opinion.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I don't like sellouts, but I know I'm in the minority. Too crowded, too many idiots and too much traffic.

I don't like them for that reason, but it's also enjoyable to see the stadium packed.

If there is a sellout and no one is sitting directly to the left or right of me, I'm golden.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

I like the full building atmosphere and mostly because I know it's vital to the team's long term success.

The energy of the sea of red in the playoffs was neat.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey

I hate the idiot component of it, and I say to my dad quite often "don't you miss those nice, cozy nights of 12,000 people at a Devils game?" But I know its better this way. I just wish when its sold out it would be more like the atmosphere/crowds we had in the playoffs than we had today, or some of the other sellouts this year. To be fair, a couple of them were great crowds and not just a building full of tools, so I can't throw all of this year's crowds under the bus.

battlingBard56

May 30, 2011
Union County, NJ
Wait a minute... this team has BANDWAGONERS...? *YOUDON'TSAY.jpeg*

Be thankful they're contributing to the noise. Our fan base has been embarrassed by lackluster (AKA 12,000, sit-on-their-hands, glare-at-the-ones-trying-to-start-chants-and-support-the-team people) crowds for too long.

It sickens me people are now complaining about them. Instead of complaining, how about trying to teach them about the sport of hockey and the team NJ Devils? Fans from before our Cup winning years did the same for new fans who hopped on the bandwagon in 95, 2000, 2001 (yes even then) and 2003. Guess what? THOSE FANS ARE NOW DIEHARDS. Even if they don't want to admit it.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I hate the idiot component of it, and I say to my dad quite often "don't you miss those nice, cozy nights of 12,000 people at a Devils game?" But I know its better this way. I just wish when its sold out it would be more like the atmosphere/crowds we had in the playoffs than we had today, or some of the other sellouts this year. To be fair, a couple of them were great crowds and not just a building full of tools, so I can't throw all of this year's crowds under the bus.

What was your beef with today's crowd, too quiet?

I'm not sure what "idiots" are being mentioned, fans that are too loud or ones that "dog" the team or yell shoot every two seconds, or the ones that sit in their seat and don't make a peep all game long?

I recall many "idiots" at CAA in nights with 12k in the building.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
What was your beef with today's crowd, too quiet?

I'm not sure what "idiots" are being mentioned, fans that are too loud or ones that "dog" the team or yell shoot every two seconds, or the ones that sit in their seat and don't make a peep all game long?

I recall many "idiots" at CAA in nights with 12k in the building.

My problem with today's crowd is that for a while it seemed that the crowd was in a constant lull. Probably due to the team's play, because it seemed they were in the same lull, but still. Its better than its been in previous years, but today it just seemed like there wasn't much to it other than the moments where something big happened (i.e. a goal or some major kind of save/play).

I can't speak for everyone, but to me, the idiots are the ones that fall more into the line of "yell shoot every two seconds," say _______ sucks a million times when the player is someone on the Devils, and just all around obnoxiousness for no reason. Fans that are being loud, supporting the team, and all of the stuff that goes along with it are fine by me, even if it means they're sitting right behind me and yelling far more than I would. There's a purpose behind it, and its a positive contribution in some shape or form. Idiots are the people that will sit there and bash Kovy every single time down the ice for no reason and will never be happy with him, even if he's scoring goals in that given game. I've dealt with idiots like that far too often and there is no need for those people.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
OT but I always love how The Sopranos use the Devils throughout their series. You always see somebody wearing a Devil jersey or Devil stuff in AJs room.

Kinda relates back to our fanbase I think...some how.

Also, it would be nice to get ride of the 2nd part of "Rangers suck, Flyers swallow" chant. It comes off as a real negative for new fans/families/etc. "Rangers suck" is fine and actually an amazingly simple but awesome chant.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Traffic's never terrible for me, but then again I guess it depends what lot you're coming out of and where you're going afterward. The only thing I hate about sellouts is the fact that too many of them will lead to increased ticket prices lol...but it's better for everyone involved if the fanbase keeps increasing.

And I have come to dislike the fact that walking toward the exits of the arena after the game it seems like everyone's always going in the same direction, if you have to go one way you can't move, the other way and you're really going against the grain.

In-stadium it always seems like the same kind of bathroom lines whether there's 12k or 17,625 anyway (and the same idiots are usually going to be there too). I usually only get concessions before the game to avoid the super-huge lines.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
OT but I always love how The Sopranos use the Devils throughout their series. You always see somebody wearing a Devil jersey or Devil stuff in AJs room.

Also, it would be nice to get ride of the 2nd part of "Rangers suck, Flyers swallow" chant. It comes off as a real negative for new fans/families/etc. "Rangers suck" is fine and actually an amazingly simple but awesome chant.

Yes yes yes yes yes.

We need to stop the 2nd part of that chant.

Keep it at Rangers suck, the 2nd part is ridiculously bad on every level.I hope it was not too loud today with all of the kids there.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
Yes yes yes yes yes.

We need to stop the 2nd part of that chant.

Keep it at Rangers suck, the 2nd part is ridiculously bad on every level.I hope it was not too loud today with all of the kids there.

Yes. I was trying to think of all sorts of creative ways to explain the 2nd part of it to the 2 9-year-olds I took to the game today. ("swallows their gum" was the best I could think of :shakehead ). But I didn't hear the chant at all today. Maybe because we sat downstairs?

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't really like the chant at all in the first place. To me, it's a lame rip off of the Potvin chant. And come on, don't we as Devils fans have an identity of our own by now, without relating everything back to the Rangers? I can understand the chant if we're actually playing the Rangers at the time. But we're playing Carolina or someone and we randomly shout "Rangers Suck!"? I know it'll never go away, but it just makes us seem ultra-obsessed with them.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Too bad Tony Soprano is a Kings fan!:laugh:

They showed Gandolfini at many Kings games last year during the playoffs.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Is he really a Kings fan or was he just conveniently there cause all the actors get out to Kings games sooner or later anyway?

At least he does that spot about 'you're not from New Jersey, you're too quiet' on the jumbotron lol

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is he really a Kings fan or was he just conveniently there cause all the actors get out to Kings games sooner or later anyway?

At least he does that spot about 'you're not from New Jersey, you're too quiet' on the jumbotron lol

Could be a possibility, but I think I may have seen him with Kings gear on at one of the games. I can't remember for sure though.

I remember making a joke after the 5 minute major, and then the incident with Volch and the linesman. About Tony and his crew paying a visit to all 4 of them, but Tony was really a Kings fan!:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad