Vanderbeek Thanks Fans, Devils Fanbase Finally Turning The Corner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Was also at Petr Sykora's first ever NHL hockey game in Nov. of 1995. Which was also Mario Lemieux's first game back in NJ after he missed the entire 94-95 season. Of course in that game Mario scored a hattrick. I remember before the game my uncle telling me to watch 66 because one day I'm gonna be able to tell my grand kids I saw Mario Lemieux play in his prime. Not only did I see him I saw him score a hattrick. Also, correct me if I am wrong but I think Sykora scored in that game. So he scored in his first game ever.

I remember the game just because of the hat trick by Mario. I was there too as I had season tickets from like 93 through 10/11 when I moved. I had to use hockey reference, but Petr Sykora scored in that game. Pens won 5 to 3. Also scoring for the Devils that game was Steve Thomas, and John Maclean.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
The only good thing about being old in this regard is getting to ride the wave from the suck in the cellar of the standings to the top of the mountain 3 times and another 2 times skidding down on our backs but enjoying the climb anyways. The ride has been great fun thanks to Lou and Co.

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ
I don't know the exact date of my first game but it was in the late 80's when tickets were buy 1 ticket get 1 half off or something like that.

My dad and I got season tickets in the 00-01 season and haven't looked back since.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
wanna feel young?

The very first Devils game I ever attended in NJ was back at the Brendan Byrne arena, I bought a program and inside was a 8x10 cardstock insert of the new rookie - Sergei Brylin.

And I was 25 at the time. :P

Phew! That does make me feel better. At least until I looked at the Devils roster and noticed that two players on the team weren't even born when I went to my first game. Time marches on I guess...:cry:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
My first game was in the preseason of 97-98, I was 9 at the time. They beat the Flyers in overtime on a goal by Bryan ****ing Muir :laugh:.

Won't ever forget it.

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ
Phew! That does make me feel better. At least until I looked at the Devils roster and noticed that two players on the team weren't even born when I went to my first game. Time marches on I guess...:cry:

LOL yeah like Larsson and Matteau...they make me feel old and I'm only 31.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
LOL yeah like Larsson and Matteau...they make me feel old and I'm only 31.

I'm 35, and as long as there are some players on the team older than me, I'm okay. But the day will come when that's not the case...

But still, it's nice being in the generation of Devils fans who saw them rise from the depths and witness all the championships. I remember listening to MacLean's OT goal in '88 on the radio (my parents wouldn't pay the premium for SportsChannel at the time).

So now I take it as my personal mission to indoctrinate my kids into Devils fans. Hell, I already flipped my wife from being a Rangers fan, so I think I'm already doing my part. ;) [Although, honestly, her coming to the dark side had more to do with Parise's boyish good looks than anything else. :p: ]

Mory Schneideur*

People are still butthurt over the Hurricanes? Christ

In regard to rivals I def see the Canes as a lesser rival, and I'll never forget our playoff meetings.

In order for rivals, it's like this (for me):

1. Rangers
2. Philly
3. Islanders (will pick up when they get better)
4. Pittsburgh
5. Carolina

Note that 1 & 2 are on a different tier than 3-5.

In regards to the fanbase, it's grown for sure. Everyone loves a comeback story and our story from being in the cellar to almost making the show, to the next year almost winning the cup is like something from a Disney movie. The timing was right, the area around the Rock is fantastic & you can see the difference this year. There's a buzz, the atmosphere is electric and I've never seen so many proud Devils fans! Even on Facebook etc, I used to be the only person I I is who liked hockey let alone the Devils, now most of my friends are Devils fans!

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
I'm 18 and I'm starting to feel the same way with guys in the combines and drafts next year... Is this what life really is .... :cry:

It only gets worse.. In 10 years there'll be guys on the Devils who are 9 years old right now.. In 20 years there'll be players born around this time and you'll be the geezer talking about how you remember that Ranger series back in '12

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Why do we have a rivalry with Pittsburgh? We've never really had a lot of big games against them?

Rangers - based on big games and the shadow of the city over the entire northern state.
Philly - Rival. Location, big games, everything.
Carolina - Big games from both sides.
Senators - Again, big games against each other. They hate us way more then the other way though.

Pittsburgh and the NYI aren't our rivals. We don't play big games against either team often enough.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
I don't consider the Hurricanes a rival at all. Maybe back in the day when they were the Whalers, just based on proximity. But they were never any good back then so it wasn't much to speak of.

The only teams I consider real rivals are the Rangers, Flyers and Isles*. And maybe the other 2 teams from the ol' Patrick Division (Pitt and Wash), but to a much lesser extent.

(* The Isles rivalry is weak ATM. Will increase as they improve.)

[Mentioning the Patrick Division makes me pine for the days of the old division and conference names. Really made the sport unique and linked to its past.]

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Why do we have a rivalry with Pittsburgh? We've never really had a lot of big games against them?

Rangers - based on big games and the shadow of the city over the entire northern state.
Senators - Again, big games against each other. They hate us way more then the other way though.

Pittsburgh and the NYI aren't our rivals. We don't play big games against either team often enough.

We've had at least 4 playoff series with Pittsburgh and they are a division rival.
I would put them ahead of Ottawa for sure but not by much since there is some history with Ottawa too.

Toronto was a bigger rival a little over a decade ago with the back to back year playoff matchups.

The Islanders can be a huge rival if/when they ever consistantly make the playoffs.
But our common hatred of the Rangers always seems to defuse any real banter between the fanbases.

cj225

Work in Progress...
Dec 6, 2006
NJ

I would add Toronto to this...I know it's few and far between, but playoff matches were always very interesting.

I don't consider the Hurricanes a rival at all. Maybe back in the day when they were the Whalers, just based on proximity. But they were never any good back then so it wasn't much to speak of.

The only teams I consider real rivals are the Rangers, Flyers and Isles*. And maybe the other 2 teams from the ol' Patrick Division (Pitt and Wash), but to a much lesser extent.

(* The Isles rivalry is weak ATM. Will increase as they improve.)

I don't think the Hurricanes are a rival, I just think a lot of people are still really bitter about that terrible playoff series. Every time we play them that's all I can think of and it makes me hate their team.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
Maybe the Hurricanes are more our "nemesis" than our "rival".

That Game 7 (aka "How to Lose a Playoff Series in 80 Seconds") does still stick in my craw a bit.

Semak

Come on CB, one of the cups went through Pitt and 01, we'll, you know. I consider them a bigger rival than Carolina. Plus many people thought NJ was robbed of 66 thanks to Pitt tanking.

My first game was in December '85, NJ vs NYR. I was visiting family here for the holidays and my uncle took me and my cousin. Hooked ever since.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
More than a couple early playoffs being ended abruptly thanks to Pitt.

2012 -- Well, we all know. Let's not even talk about it yet.

2011 -- Yeah, that year.

2010 -- lost to Flyers, 4-1, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

2009 -- lost to Carolina, 4-3, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

2008 -- lost to NY Rangers, 4-1, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

2007 -- defeated Tampa Bay, 4-2, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals
lost to Ottawa, 4-1, Eastern Conf. semifinals

2006 -- defeated NY Rangers, 4-0, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals
lost to Carolina, 4-1, Eastern Conf. semifinals

2004 -- lost to Philadelphia, 4-1, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

2003 -- defeated Boston, 4-1, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals
defeated Tampa Bay, 4-1, Eastern Conf. semifinals
defeated Ottawa, 4-3, Eastern Conf. finals
defeated Anaheim, 4-3, Stanley Cup Finals

2002 -- lost to Carolina, 4-2, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

2001 -- defeated Carolina, 4-2, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals
defeated Toronto, 4-3, Eastern Conf. semifinals
defeated Pittsburgh, 4-1, Eastern Conf. finals
lost to Colorado, 4-3, Stanley Cup Finals

2000 -- defeated Florida, 4-0, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals
defeated Toronto, 4-2, Eastern Conf. semifinals
defeated Philadelphia, 4-3, Eastern Conf. finals
defeated Dallas, 4-2, Stanley Cup Finals

1999 -- lost to Pittsburgh, 4-3, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

1998 -- lost to Ottawa, 4-2, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals

1997 -- defeated Montreal, 4-1, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals
lost to NY Rangers, 4-1, Eastern Conf. semifinals

1995 -- defeated Boston, 4-1, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals
defeated Pittsburgh, 4-1, Eastern Conf. semifinals
defeated Philadelphia, 4-2, Eastern Conf. finals
defeated Detroit, 4-0, Stanley Cup Finals

1994 -- defeated Buffalo, 4-3, Eastern Conf. quarterfinals
defeated Boston, 4-2, Eastern Conf. semifinals
lost to NY Rangers, 4-3, Eastern Conf. finals

1993 -- lost to Pittsburgh, 4-1, Patrick Division semifinals

1992 -- lost to NY Rangers, 4-3, Patrick Division semifinals

1991 -- lost to Pittsburgh, 4-3, Patrick Division semifinals

1990 -- lost to Washington, 4-2, Patrick Division semifinals

1988 -- defeated NY Islanders, 4-2, Patrick Division semifinals
defeated Washington, 4-3, Patrick Division finals
lost to Boston, 4-3, Wales Conference finals

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Dont worry RG I'm right there with you. I'm old too lol.

I know this is about the Rock and Vanderbeek but I was at the Byrne when Sundstrom had a hat trick and 8 points against the Caps in the 88 playoffs. 10-4 Devils was the final, holy crap that was insane. Another great one was one of the last bench clearing brawls ever against the Stars. I have pics I took somewhere with Chico out there and everyone paired off, total chaos. No logos on the ice or boards, looks so odd now.

I kind of miss that place, tons of memories. $5 tickets, free parking, smoke anywhere and you could sneak as much beer in as you could fit into your jacket. Then use your ticket stub to get in at the racetrack.

Now I go to the Rock with my nieces and have a great time building new memories at that awesome facility.

Semak

I was at brawl versus the Rangers in '92. Stasny scores in the third, Graves goes after Lemieux.

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
First game for me was in 91 against Pittsburgh. I was 9. I knew nothing about hockey before that day and my dad said, and I'm paraphrase-translating it since he said it in Italian, "There's a Lemieux on the Devils that is great, but there's Lemieux on the Penguins that is one of the greatest players to ever play". The game was 5-4 Pittsburgh until the last minute when the Devils tied it. Place went nuts. Couple seconds later Pittsburgh scored again and won 6-5. Sucky outcome, but I was hooked ever since.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
Dont worry RG I'm right there with you. I'm old too lol.

I know this is about the Rock and Vanderbeek but I was at the Byrne when Sundstrom had a hat trick and 8 points against the Caps in the 88 playoffs. 10-4 Devils was the final, holy crap that was insane. Another great one was one of the last bench clearing brawls ever against the Stars. I have pics I took somewhere with Chico out there and everyone paired off, total chaos. No logos on the ice or boards, looks so odd now.

I kind of miss that place, tons of memories. $5 tickets, free parking, smoke anywhere and you could sneak as much beer in as you could fit into your jacket. Then use your ticket stub to get in at the racetrack.

Now I go to the Rock with my nieces and have a great time building new memories at that awesome facility.

Holy cow, you just triggered a memory I had forgotten! LOL. The guys I went with totally did that. Drank in the parking lot until we had to piss so bad we couldn't stand it then loaded up the coats with beers and went inside. Sat way up in the upper deck and were pulling out beers left and right through warmups and the first period. Cans *tink tink* all around us.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The difference between division rivals and non-division ones is when certain players go away, non-division rivalries fly out the window, history or not. Who does Ottawa have on their team from the last time they beat us in the playoffs other than Alfie/Spezza/Phillips? Who does Carolina have from three years ago other than Ward/Batboy? Who do we have left from those teams besides Marty and Elias lol.

Whereas Pittsburgh we're playing big division games every year even when we don't meet in the playoffs, and there's plenty of playoff history regardless.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Holy cow, you just triggered a memory I had forgotten! LOL. The guys I went with totally did that. Drank in the parking lot until we had to piss so bad we couldn't stand it then loaded up the coats with beers and went inside. Sat way up in the upper deck and were pulling out beers left and right through warmups and the first period. Cans *tink tink* all around us.

Haha that's exactly what we used to do! Great parking lot for pre-gaming, security was never a problem.

You could walk in there with a sixer no problem, flasks even easier. Of course me and my dirtbag friends gravitated to those sections along the top, you could do anything up there lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad