Vanderbeek Thanks Fans, Devils Fanbase Finally Turning The Corner?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
My first game was a game against Boston with Terrerri in net I think. Lost 3-1? Don't recall the year.

And I recall a game against the maple leafs in 2001(?) that went to OT and we won 7-6 I believe. Many moons ago, although not really compared to many on here.

Marc87

May 9, 2012
I'm one of those "young Devils fans" from back in the day who's finally got a job and settled in. This is my 3rd year with season tickets, and it's been an amazing couple years (the Maclean months were my first months as a STH, so that kinda sucked for a little bit).

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
My first game was 3/21/1992. A 2-2 tie vs. the Isles. As I recall, Richer tied it with Tererri pulled with less than a minute left. Fun game. I still have the program someplace. Had a profile on a young kid named Niedermeyer in there. Christmas jerseys all over the place.

So I'm not one of the ground-floor fans, but I've been around nearly 25 years or so. This is my first year as a STH. Taking my son to his first game on Pres. Day. I think the fan base is heading in the right direction. We're up against other local teams who have generations and generations of fans by now. We're really only on our 2nd generation now. It'll come.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This is a result of many things. The Cup run has helped a lot. Especially beating Philly and New York. Also, I think that Kovalchuk has brought some more excitement to the team, and obviously the new arena helps alot. Its almost like the playoff run reminded our fans how to be loud. There have been more chants this season so far than in any regular season game last year. The KILL chant is great, and it's really catching on. You can even hear it clearly on TV for ever game so far. I think we created that chant right? (I've never heard it anywhere else)

Also, the young fan base is definitely getting older and that is a big part of it. The amount of people wearing jerseys at the games now is incredible. I think its the perfect balance of being able to get a cheap ticket ($20 ~ $30 for most games) and also being a good atmosphere for a game.

Is the state of New Jersey really starting to take pride in the team? I live in New York so its hard to tell.

Playoff run was obviously huge, and well timed in that Newark was finally at a point where u could go in and choose from a couple different food drink places and championship plaza adding more and more to the fan experience.

I also think Net's leaving for Brooklyn plays a little role as well. Devils are the lone major professional team bearing the New Jersey name.

And the Diablos have been big. They are just loud. Obnoxiously so maybe. And I know some hate the horn. But they do keep the energy level up. And that has long been a concern of mine wether it be at Devils games, Nets game, Rutgers football games what have u. I know there are other sections that do a good job as well, but the Diablos stand out to me.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
And the Diablos have been big. They are just loud. Obnoxiously so maybe. And I know some hate the horn. But they do keep the energy level up. And that has long been a concern of mine wether it be at Devils games, Nets game, Rutgers football games what have u. I know there are other sections that do a good job as well, but the Diablos stand out to me.

My ST's are in 121, right next to the Diablos, and I don't find them to be too obnoxious. They're okay in my book. :handclap:

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
My first game was a game against Boston with Terrerri in net I think. Lost 3-1? Don't recall the year.

And I recall a game against the maple leafs in 2001(?) that went to OT and we won 7-6 I believe. Many moons ago, although not really compared to many on here.

I checked the 00, 01, and 02 schedules and this was the only score that was remotely close in OT.......playoff game too

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The Pru Center crowds?

“(There’s) a real home ice advantage here because of the fans,â€
DeBoer said. “What I see is a carry-over from (the playoffs) into this season, which is nice. That’s part of the reason our home record is so good. They’re a big part of that.â€

ILikeItVeryMuch*

Based on ticketmaster and stubhub it looks to be, but who knows.

It is nice being able to even discuss that for midweek games, considering what midweek games used to look like.

People also forget that we are well into the new year anyway, which historically has always seen larger attendance numbers.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
Based on ticketmaster and stubhub it looks to be, but who knows.

It is nice being able to even discuss that for midweek games, considering what midweek games used to look like.

People also forget that we are well into the new year anyway, which historically has always seen larger attendance numbers.

Of course...but lets not act like even during the new year we could sellout midweek games against teams like Carolina.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
24 home dates v 41 in a regular season so it makes sense that games should be more crowded if people choose to go to the same amount of games. I will still go to 7-10 games just not as spread out. Doing this on a phone sucks

Devilshark

Registered Abuser
Jan 29, 2009
Central New Jersey
Our young fans have a huge rivalry against the 'Canes. It's not out of possibilities...

THIS. My friends that are "new" Devils fans (by proxomity, because im obsessed!) HATE Carolina because of the last playoff series. Like, only 2nd to the Rangers levels of hate.

From what I understand, we're their biggest rival. I remember Sherry Ross interviewing a Carolina beat reporter before a game a year or two ago and he said it as well.

AZNDevil

Yay band.
Jul 30, 2010
Tennessee
I love the "Mar-ty!" chants that have come back recently. And the music people at the Rock seem to have caught on now. They used to play some music track after a big same (like "You're Unbelievable", blegh). Now it seems like they wait and let the crowd chant.

The "Kill" chants on the PK are becoming more and more audible on TV too. I had a couple friends watching a game with me over the weekend ask what the crowd was shouting during the penalty kills.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
When you play a team quite a few times in the playoffs fans are going to dislike them.
When you lose 3 out of 4 series to them, they are going to develop a strong dislike for them.

With that said, they are at best our 3rd most hated rival, around the same level as Pittsburgh I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad