Proposal: Vancouver - New Jersey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
I'm not sure New Jersey should be trading for Horvat to give him a big money deal to play on the second/third line. Lets actually give Holtz a chance to play for them before trading him away for a pending UFA.

Horvat is a hell of a player, he's just not what the Devils really need at this moment.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Vancouver should say yes but this isn’t going to be offered.
As a Nucks fan i'd say no.

To me this is Holtz for Podkolzin, in which i'd rather have Podkolzin. Then you have Severson and a 2nd for Horvat. Horvat is having one hell of a season so far, whereas Severson is having a slow start. Adding Severson at the cost of Horvat makes us worse, and a 2nd isn't enough to entice us here. We'd be better off sending Bo to NYI for Mayfield and a 1st, even that really isn't enough for us to do it.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
As a Nucks fan i'd say no.

To me this is Holtz for Podkolzin, in which i'd rather have Podkolzin. Then you have Severson and a 2nd for Horvat. Horvat is having one hell of a season so far, whereas Severson is having a slow start. Adding Severson at the cost of Horvat makes us worse, and a 2nd isn't enough to entice us here. We'd be better off sending Bo to NYI for Mayfield and a 1st, even that really isn't enough for us to do it.
Podkolzin isn’t exactly knocking the cover off the ball in Vancouver. 0 goals and -5 in 11 games. Just two points. He’s a draft year older than Holtz so he should be farther along. He’s not.

Bit of a change of scenery deal for two prospects that haven’t really clicked with the clubs that drafted them.

I’d rather have Holtz but he’s not crushing it for NJ either.

Agree you lose on the tradeoff with Horvat. You’d need Severson resigned to make this deal.

Your point about looking for another deal makes sense. This one isn’t great.

But I doubt NJ trades Holtz for Podkolzin straight up.

It’s not discussed much but Vancouver’s brass has got to be pretty disappointed with Hoglander and Podkolzin so far. They are both off to bad starts to this season.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Podkolzin isn’t exactly knocking the cover off the ball in Vancouver. 0 goals and -5 in 11 games. Just two points. He’s a draft year older than Holtz so he should be farther along. He’s not.

Bit of a change of scenery deal for two prospects that haven’t really clicked with the clubs that drafted them.

I’d rather have Holtz but he’s not crushing it for NJ either.

Agree you lose on the tradeoff with Horvat. You’d need Severson resigned to make this deal.

Your point about looking for another deal makes sense. This one isn’t great.

But I doubt NJ trades Holtz for Podkolzin straight up.

It’s not discussed much but Vancouver’s brass has got to be pretty disappointed with Hoglander and Podkolzin so far. They are both off to bad starts to this season.

Hog sure, Pod has been buried by our coach and nobody understands why, he has looked just fine when given a bigger role.

Reactions: Paddys Pub

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I would be open to something like the following near the TDL:

:nucks
Severson
Holtz

:devils
Horvat

We will need to free up a roster spot on D for L Hughes, and I am really not that high on Holtz. Horvat is a heavy player and gives us some really nice depth down the middle, allowing us to play either him or Mercer on the wing. It essentially gives us 2 very solid 2 way centers to shut down the opposition, and could free up Hischier to get easier matchups as well.

Vancouver gets a young shooter coming off a great rookie season in the AHL, and should also be able to flip Severson for a 1st at the TDL.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
About as realistic as the OPs post

So you don't understand contracts and NHL values, coulda just said that.

Here, I'll explain it to you Horvat is a UFA after this year so he's a rental and Hischier is signed until 27-28 so they are not the same.

Mercer has almost double Podkolzin points in basically the same amount of NHL games played so they are not the same.

Myers is on a terrible contract where he is grossly overpaid and not just for this year, whereas Severson is on a nice deal for the remainder of this season so he could be a high value trade chip as a rental or re-signed so they are not the same.

Lekkerimak and Holtz could be considered equal. I'll give you that one.

All in all you got offended by a reasonable offer, and made a horrible counter.

Last edited:

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
So you don't understand contracts and NHL values, coulda just said that.

Here, I'll explain it to you Horvat is a UFA after this year so he's a rental and Hischier is signed until 27-28 so they are not the same.

Mercer has almost double Podkolzin points in basically the same amount of NHL games played so they are not the same.

Myers is on a terrible contract where he is grossly overpaid and not just for this year, whereas Severson is on a nice deal for the remainder of this season only so they are not the same.

Lekkerimak and Holtz could be considered equal. I'll give you that one.

All in all you got offended by a reasonable offer, and made a horrible counter.
You could have at least said Severson is a rental that will be grossly overpaid soon if you want to teach someone about “contracts and values.”

Reactions: sting101

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I would be open to something like the following near the TDL:

:nucks
Severson
Holtz

:devils
Horvat

We will need to free up a roster spot on D for L Hughes, and I am really not that high on Holtz. Horvat is a heavy player and gives us some really nice depth down the middle, allowing us to play either him or Mercer on the wing. It essentially gives us 2 very solid 2 way centers to shut down the opposition, and could free up Hischier to get easier matchups as well.

Vancouver gets a young shooter coming off a great rookie season in the AHL, and should also be able to flip Severson for a 1st at the TDL.
I think there are better uses for Holtz as a trade piece then a rental. I get the idea that his best use for the Devils may be as a trade piece though.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
You could have at least said Severson is a rental that will be grossly overpaid soon if you want to teach someone about “contracts and values.”

Okay lets break this up

Would you trade
Horvat for Hischier?
Myers for Severson?
Podkolzin for Mercer?
Lekkerimaki for Holt?

Because I'd say no to all 4 as a Devil fan, and the top 3 aren't even in the same stratosphere

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Okay lets break this up

Would you trade
Horvat for Hischier?
Myers for Severson?
Podkolzin for Mercer?
Lekkerimaki for Holt?

Because I'd say no to all 4 as a Devil fan, and the top 3 aren't even in the same stratosphere
I didn’t say the proposal was better. You’re the one that was trying to teach about contracts, called Horvat a rental, and then proceeded to ignore that with Severson. Don’t move goalposts.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I didn’t say the proposal was better. You’re the one that was trying to teach about contracts, called Horvat a rental, and then proceeded to ignore that with Severson. Don’t move goalposts.
Horvat would be a rental to NJ, no chance they'd even offer him a contract.
Severson may be a rental for Vancouver, he may not be and we can't assume he's getting overpaid as we have no idea what his next contract will look like.

My point was your boy took a decent trade proposal, at least in the terms of value (Not saying it makes sense for either team) and proceeded to make an absolutely horrible counter offer and said they were the same.

I feel like you have a decent idea of values, which offer was worse of the 2?

I'll edit my original comment to call Severson a rental though instead of just saying he only has this season on his contract.

Fixed it, I updated Severson to call him a rental as well.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Horvat would be a rental to NJ, no chance they'd even offer him a contract.
Severson may be a rental for Vancouver, he may not be and we can't assume he's getting overpaid as we have no idea what his next contract will look like.

My point was your boy took a decent trade proposal, at least in the terms of value (Not saying it makes sense for either team) and proceeded to make an absolutely horrible counter offer and said they were the same.

I feel like you have a decent idea of values, which offer was worse of the 2?

I'll edit my original comment to call Severson a rental though instead of just saying he only has this season on his contract.

I didn't like the OP for either team, but calling Horvat a rental Severson a "maybe rental" is ridiculous. They are the same.

Reactions: gianni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad