Proposal: Vancouver - Montreal

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Hoglander is the best player in the deal here by quite a bit. And they add a first. This heavily favours the Habs… what am I missing?
Hoglander's "breakout season" came with a shooting percentage of 20%. Expect a regression this coming season. I doubt Montreal have any interest in him when they have several young players that can fill the role he'd take

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
We are exiting the rebuild. A late 1st is nice, but it's not what we need right now. We already have plenty of non-blue chip prospects.

Hoglander doesn't fit what we need in a top9 player based on our current core and prospect pool.
Exiting the rebuild without a 1c, 1d and a 1G, seems destined for mediocrity. You guys have some good young wingers but they are the easiest pieces to trade or sign.

Hoglander definitely makes zero sense for you guys and WIFI makes no sense for us.

You guys need a top Centre and we need an RHD that won't block Willander and that looks like a TDL move.
Habs can make a package of picks, prospects to aquire one or more likely draft one after a bottom 5 finish this year.
Suzuki- Dach- Newhook is not gonna cut it, not even close!

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
We're talking about trading a 1st, and a 23 yr old who had 24 goals in like 12 mins a game haha. Xhekaj better be a top 4 dman with upside.

You can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Luckily the Canucks would never consider this disaster of a trade.
Ya I'm shocked a nucks fan proposed this. The last thing we need is a big physical D with limited offense.
I think we could use another PMD but it's not pressing and we've got the deadline where we will have over 3 million to address that. I'm also big on Vinny and think our staff will do a lot for him.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
At this point, I wouldn't trade Xhekaj for a late 1st. Too much upside in an area of need for a pick that would likely end up being a kind of player we already have (if said 1st even play in the NHL).
The offer is Hoglander (whos worth prob a late first) and a 1st which might be late or could be in the teens.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I'd like to see your proposal where Hoglander and a first gets a top of the lineup player .
Hoglander's value has to be somewhere around a late 1st to early 2nd. Two 1sts easily gets you a top of lineup player. We bought Hronek for a 1st and 2nd for instance. Basically anytime a 1st is moved a top of lineup player goes the other way.

Hoglander's "breakout season" came with a shooting percentage of 20%. Expect a regression this coming season. I doubt Montreal have any interest in him when they have several young players that can fill the role he'd take
He also did it playing 12 minutes a game on the 4th line without pp time. By the end of the season he was on the 1st line.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Exiting the rebuild without a 1c, 1d and a 1G, seems destined for mediocrity. You guys have some good young wingers but they are the easiest pieces to trade or sign.

Hoglander definitely makes zero sense for you guys and WIFI makes no sense for us.

You guys need a top Centre and we need an RHD that won't block Willander and that looks like a TDL move.
Habs can make a package of picks, prospects to aquire one or more likely draft one after a bottom 5 finish this year.
>Suzuki
>not a 1C

Thanks, you can leave the thread

Reactions: viceroy

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You guys picked 5th last year. U sure about that lol

Yes. We are on our upward curve (which actually started this year if you actually look further than draft position). We are on the build phase, not rebuild. I expect to be in the playoffs by 2026 at the latest.

We have a top centre signed for 6 more years.

We also have a pretty deep D pool and G pool that don't really benefit from further tanking except if we could get a bona fide blue chip prospect which a late 1st is very unlikely to provide.

I would be very surprised to finish bottom 5 this year, unless significant injuries occur.

Suzuki is fine at 1C.
Dach is fine as 2C if he can play like before his injury. If not, use him and extra assets to get one who do.
Newhook likely ends up on the wing as backup FO taker. Kapanen and Beck are the aim for 3C.
Evans is fine as 4C, else you get the loser of Kapanen/Beck or some FA.

The offer is Hoglander (whos worth prob a late first) and a 1st which might be late or could be in the teens.

If the Canucks are in the teens, fire their GM.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Yes. We are on our upward curve (which actually started this year if you actually look further than draft position). We are on the build phase, not rebuild. I expect to be in the playoffs by 2026 at the latest.

We also have a pretty deep D pool and G pool that don't really benefit from further tanking except if we could get a bona fide blue chip prospect which a late 1st is very unlikely to provide.

I would be very surprised to finish bottom 5 this year, unless significant injuries occur.

Suzuki is fine at 1C.
Dach is fine as 2C if he can play like before his injury. If not, use him and extra assets to get one who do.
Newhook likely ends up on the wing as backup FO taker. Kapanen and Beck are the aim for 3C.

Who would you have in mind for the “if not” 2C? Are you thinking Zegras?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Suzuki is fine at 1C.

MTL was a bottom 5 team last year and have made 0 additions to their roster.

Reactions: Anardil

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Hoglander's value has to be somewhere around a late 1st to early 2nd. Two 1sts easily gets you a top of lineup player. We bought Hronek for a 1st and 2nd for instance. Basically anytime a 1st is moved a top of lineup player goes the other way.

He also did it playing 12 minutes a game on the 4th line without pp time. By the end of the season he was on the 1st line.
Cool. By all means keep him. I don't thinknhe can repeat last years performance. That goes for Joshua and Boeser too (who both also shot around 20%). Don't get me wrong. I think they're all good players, but I don't think any team should buy high on any of them after what are likely outlier seasons.

The original proposal just isn't appealing to this Montreal fan. Much rather keep Xhekaj and Evans than take the offered package

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Cool. By all means keep him. I don't thinknhe can repeat last years performance. That goes for Joshua and Boeser too (who both also shot around 20%). Don't get me wrong. I think they're all good players, but I don't think any team should buy high on any of them after what are likely outlier seasons.

The original proposal just isn't appealing to this Montreal fan. Much rather keep Xhekaj and Evans than take the offered package
Absolutely love to keep Hoglander. This trade proposal was a preposterous amount of value for a depth defenseman with some upside. Thats the point I was making. Nothing near this would ever be offered for Xhekaj. And still you would want to do it. It's funny to me yes but objectively it is lopsided.

They overperformed last season so at least a slight regression could be coming from that but something as simple as a long term injury to our injury prone goalie would easily put us in the teens.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think the Habs do this, because they kind of need Xhekaj to bring some size and toughness to their lineup and seem to still have high hopes for him.

But i really don't understand it from a Canucks at all either. Giving up a 1st and Hoglander, the two best trade chips Vancouver has...for a 4th line Center (when they already have eleventy billion Forwards, albeit not RH Centers), and a young, unproven bottom-pair defenceman with some durability problems? Dumping Poolman's IR contract is convenient, but not something pressing enough that i'd want to give up huge value to do.

If the Canucks are giving up a Hoglander + 1st Package...it should be for a targeted upgrade, with an established veteran at a position of need. ie. A bonafide Top-4D Upgrade. Even if that's just a rental.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Xhekaj and Jake Evans for Hoglander, Poolman (IR/LTIR), 2025 1st, and an extra 3rd or 4th round pick.

Hoglander and his 24 goals last season is a cheap top 9 option at $1.1M. Agitator, high energy, offensive skill and could be a complimentary piece to the top 6. Also has breakout potential.

Canucks need a right hand centerman and some depth on the left side considering we are thin. After Hughes, it’s Soucy and Forbort.

Soucy is good. idk why you're referring to him as an afterthought here

Reactions: Nucker101

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Absolutely love to keep Hoglander. This trade proposal was a preposterous amount of value for a depth defenseman with some upside. Thats the point I was making. Nothing near this would ever be offered for Xhekaj. And still you would want to do it. It's funny to me yes but objectively it is lopsided.

They overperformed last season so at least a slight regression could be coming from that but something as simple as a long term injury to our injury prone goalie would easily put us in the teens.
I wouldn't do it because I don't believe Hoglander has that much value. He's like Paul Byron. Sure, he's got heart but I don't believe he'll cone close to replicating a season where he shot at 20% efficiency. Plus Montreal has to take a $2m ltir contract as well. Montreal has young players that can fill the role Hoglander would play.
Is the valuecwaybiff base? Probably not, but the fit isn't there.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't think the Habs do this, because they kind of need Xhekaj to bring some size and toughness to their lineup and seem to still have high hopes for him.

But i really don't understand it from a Canucks at all either. Giving up a 1st and Hoglander, the two best trade chips Vancouver has...for a 4th line Center (when they already have eleventy billion Forwards, albeit not RH Centers), and a young, unproven bottom-pair defenceman with some durability problems? Dumping Poolman's IR contract is convenient, but not something pressing enough that i'd want to give up huge value to do.

If the Canucks are giving up a Hoglander + 1st Package...it should be for a targeted upgrade, with an established veteran at a position of need. ie. A bonafide Top-4D Upgrade. Even if that's just a rental.
This is a fair take. While the Habs might "win" in a pure value sense, it doesn't suit our needs. The Canucks, similarly, need to save those assets for a guy more proven.

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
Xhekaj and Jake Evans for Hoglander, Poolman (IR/LTIR), 2025 1st, and an extra 3rd or 4th round pick.

Hoglander and his 24 goals last season is a cheap top 9 option at $1.1M. Agitator, high energy, offensive skill and could be a complimentary piece to the top 6. Also has breakout potential.

Canucks need a right hand centerman and some depth on the left side considering we are thin. After Hughes, it’s Soucy and Forbort.

Please learn hockey.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We are exiting the rebuild. A late 1st is nice, but it's not what we need right now. We already have plenty of non-blue chip prospects.

Hoglander doesn't fit what we need in a top9 player based on our current core and prospect pool.
You sure? They're quite easily the worst team in the division by a substantial margin.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs don’t need picks and young top 9 players? News to me. Aren’t you still in a rebuild?

Habs have had one of the highest draft powers over a span of years now. We have both quality and quantity but we are after more quality. Check out the amount of picks we have had and then compare that too your team and other teams. Not all of those guys will be hits but probability based on quantity is working in our favor.

Habs are still rebuilding yes but we are in the transition stage. We are still going to try to draft more core players but what we have is sound. Just need maturity to play out.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You sure? They're quite easily the worst team in the division by a substantial margin.

5th pick in 2023 and 5th pick in 2024. What is the difference? Most fans that don't watch the games will say there is no difference. However, if you did watch the games, you will realize that we were blown out in many games in 23 but had one of the most 1 goal games in 24. Loosing Dach in game 2 hurt but we were very competitive last year. 7th or 8th last with many 1 goal games and accepted tank strategy from Feb+

Habs are going to move up. How much and how fast is a guess.

Reactions: viceroy and HabsQC

Ad

Upcoming events

• Tappara Tampere @ HC Dynamo Pardubice
    Tappara Tampere @ HC Dynamo Pardubice
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $105.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Armenia vs Latvia
    Armenia vs Latvia
    Wagers: 3