Proposal: Vancouver - Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
1721868886577.jpeg

Hoglander, a 1st, and another pick... that package better return more than depth.

This really is not good for Van - you've been hitting the Sauce, Lemon.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
View attachment 896904

Hoglander, a 1st, and another pick... that package better return more than depth.

This really is not good for Van - you've been hitting the Sauce, Lemon.
I mean a top 9 forward + a late 1st (25–32), while getting rid of Poolman for a 3B center/4C and a young physical dman with a lot of growth potential?

I think it’s fair from our end. From our perspective, a sweetner later round pick doesn’t matter much to us. Getting rid of Poolman’s contract would be huge.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Hoglander is not a player we need.

He doesn't fit our team and would just end up getting traded.

Xhekaj is a kind of D we need.
I'd argue, based on MTLs absolutely atrocious results over the past 3 years in terms of defense and penalty killing, that the kind of D they need are defensively responsible, quality penalty killers.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I mean a top 9 forward + a late 1st (25–32), while getting rid of Poolman for a 3B center/4C and a young physical dman with a lot of growth potential?

I think it’s fair from our end. From our perspective, a sweetner later round pick doesn’t matter much to us. Getting rid of Poolman’s contract would be huge.
Don't be daft. Hoglander is one of the Canucks most efficient contracts. He just had a breakout yr and is only 23. The 1st is a Demko injury away from being 10th. Trading the Poolman contract has very little value to the Canucks.

So you want to essentially trade two 1st in value for Xhekaj. We didn't even give up that much for Hronek and people said we overpaid.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
We're talking about trading a 1st, and a 23 yr old who had 24 goals in like 12 mins a game haha. Xhekaj better be a top 4 dman with upside.

You can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink. Luckily the Canucks would never consider this disaster of a trade.

His upside is indeed top4D.

I'd argue, based on MTLs absolutely atrocious results over the past 3 years in terms of defense and penalty killing, that the kind of D they need are defensively responsible, quality penalty killers.

Which we already have in our prospect pool. Only one Xhekaj D though.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If Vancouver is in need of an enforcer they should have went and gotten MacDermid or Reaves. At least with a forward they're easier to hide by simply giving a few more minutes to your top guys

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
they’re attached to Xhekaj and I can’t blame them.

To clear some cap and get rid of Poolman’s contract to accrue cap at the TDL rather than using LTIR.

We also are thin on the left side and we are thin down the middle. We have 3 centers and Suter who can play center but ideally we would want a permanent 4C (that is also right handed) to play that position and have Suter where Hoglander would normally be which is up and down the top 9.

Value wise seems a lot on our part, but this type of trade further increases our depth at pretty much all areas of our line up. Currently, we have Hughes and then Soucy and Forbort. If Soucy goes down with an injury which is a possibility, Forbort is playing 2LD. That is not ideal at all.

And with Xhekaj there’s potential for more ice time surprisingly than he would get with the Habs considering Matheson and Hutson will be taking up a large portion of ice time.

Don’t need “smurfs”? With Slafkovsky, Dach, Anderson, Armia in your top 9?

Exiting the rebuild? I mean I get that, but it’s likely Habs still consider this year to be more of transitional year and you don’t necessarily seem to have many great options after Slaf/Suzuki/Dach/Caufield. If anything, the assets you would get in this trade can be used as additional pieces to go along with other pieces you have to get players you’d want.

And that defense is pretty log jammed as it is.

Which is why we should be looking at trading redundant pieces likes Matheson and Harris (Savard as well, but more because he's FA to be and older), not Xhekaj who brings something no one on the NHL D corps or prospect pool brings. I think he's part of the long term plan.

Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Konyushkov

would be our best scenario if everyone reach their potential. That would leave Engstrom, Struble, Harris and Barron as the younger guys I would be more willing to trade away to fill a need.

Anderson and Armia should not be in our top 9 and Dach despite being big doesn't really play big. What we want in a top6 guy is a guy to complement Dach and Demidov. Hoglander isn't that.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I like wifi but Evans is a wind gust away from another concussion, hoglander plus plus probably returns a bit more upside.

Reactions: Nucker101

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Which is why we should be looking at trading redundant pieces likes Matheson and Harris (Savard as well, but more because he's FA to be and older), not Xhekaj who brings something no one on the NHL D corps or prospect pool brings. I think he's part of the long term plan.

Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Konyushkov

would be our best scenario if everyone reach their potential. That would leave Engstrom, Struble, Harris and Barron as the younger guys I would be more willing to trade away to fill a need.

Anderson and Armia should not be in our top 9 and Dach despite being big doesn't really play big. What we want in a top6 guy is a guy to complement Dach and Demidov. Hoglander isn't that.
That looks like a dcore that will continue to be a disaster on the PK

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
they’re attached to Xhekaj and I can’t blame them.

To clear some cap and get rid of Poolman’s contract to accrue cap at the TDL rather than using LTIR.

We also are thin on the left side and we are thin down the middle. We have 3 centers and Suter who can play center but ideally we would want a permanent 4C (that is also right handed) to play that position and have Suter where Hoglander would normally be which is up and down the top 9.

Value wise seems a lot on our part, but this type of trade further increases our depth at pretty much all areas of our line up. Currently, we have Hughes and then Soucy and Forbort. If Soucy goes down with an injury which is a possibility, Forbort is playing 2LD. That is not ideal at all.

And with Xhekaj there’s potential for more ice time surprisingly than he would get with the Habs considering Matheson and Hutson will be taking up a large portion of ice time.

Don’t need “smurfs”? With Slafkovsky, Dach, Anderson, Armia in your top 9?

Exiting the rebuild? I mean I get that, but it’s likely Habs still consider this year to be more of transitional year and you don’t necessarily seem to have many great options after Slaf/Suzuki/Dach/Caufield. If anything, the assets you would get in this trade can be used as additional pieces to go along with other pieces you have to get players you’d want.

And that defense is pretty log jammed as it is.

Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Konyushkov

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
His upside is indeed top4D.

Which we already have in our prospect pool. Only one Xhekaj D though.
Xhekaj is nearly 24 years old and at this point is a number 8D on most competent teams.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Devils will trade you Macdermid for future considerations.

There. you get your enforcer and get a cheaper deal for a 4C somewhere else.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That looks like a dcore that will continue to be a disaster on the PK

Thank you guy who classifies Xhekaj as an enforcer. I sure put a lot of value in your evaluation.

Maybe but he's not there yet. Far from it. And far from a sure bet either.

Still not a D we should look to trade away unless it feels a bigger need than he does, which is not what Hoglander does.

Reactions: viceroy

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Thank you guy who classifies Xhekaj as an enforcer. I sure put a lot of value in your evaluation.

Still not a D we should look to trade away unless it feels a bigger need than he does, which is not what Hoglander does.
Arber Xhekaj is an enforcer.

If Arber Xhekaj did not fight he would not be in the NHL.

He can't stay out of the box. Even if he was effective, being the least disciplined player in hockey would still make him a net negative
He requires incredibly easy minutes and zone starts that make the lives of his teammates much harder
And he still doesn't put up good results.
Additionally, he can't contribute on either special teams unit.

He's in the Brendan Smith tier of player. Although brendan smith is at least an elite level penalty killer and a veteran presence, which the habs could really use on their dcore

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
It would never be offered. Let alone adding a 1st. That's all I am saying.

You might like your player, but that doesn't make him worth a 1st, let alone 2 1sts.

Hell we got Zadorov for a 3rd and a 5th and he's a much better player.

Reactions: Kearns

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Hoglander is the best player in the deal here by quite a bit. And they add a first. This heavily favours the Habs… what am I missing?
Ridiculous. Hoglander had a career year - 36 pts. Xhekaj is capable of protecting his teammates and being a solid defenseman which is a valuable commodity. He won't be traded. Harris doesn't have great value so he wouldn't be of interest. Maybe replace Xhekaj with Barron.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I see a lot of people (Canucks fans included) who think Xhekaj is just an enforcer. Couldn’t be anymore wrong.
What makes him not an enforcer?

He is simply not an effective hockey player.
-Unable to contribute on either special teams unit
-Requires incredibly sheltered minutes that make the life of every other dman on your team much harder
-The least disciplined player in hockey
-Awful defensively

Ridiculous. Hoglander had a career year - 36 pts. Xhekaj is capable of protecting his teammates and being a solid defenseman which is a valuable commodity. He won't be traded. Harris doesn't have great value so he wouldn't be of interest. Maybe replace Xhekaj with Barron.
Took out the inaccurate part

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Arber Xhekaj is an enforcer.

If Arber Xhekaj did not fight he would not be in the NHL.

He can't stay out of the box. Even if he was effective, being the least disciplined player in hockey would still make him a net negative
He requires incredibly easy minutes and zone starts that make the lives of his teammates much harder
And he still doesn't put up good results.
Additionally, he can't contribute on either special teams unit.

He's in the Brendan Smith tier of player. Although brendan smith is at least an elite level penalty killer and a veteran presence, which the habs could really use on their dcore

So you never saw him play and make up scenarios looking at stat sheets?

It would never be offered. Let alone adding a 1st. That's all I am saying.

You might like your player, but that doesn't make him worth a 1st, let alone 2 1sts.

Hell we got Zadorov for a 3rd and a 5th and he's a much better player.

Salary cap, upcoming FA status and trade market explain why Zadorov got little value.

At this point, I wouldn't trade Xhekaj for a late 1st. Too much upside in an area of need for a pick that would likely end up being a kind of player we already have (if said 1st even play in the NHL).

Reactions: viceroy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad