Proposal: Vancouver - Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Another proof you only look at the surface level.

We will see about that.
It’s comments like this that give habs fans a bad name.

This team is easily the worst team in the division.
-no Jake Allen to take on the better teams, goaltending will dip.
-no 2c to support the team defensively or offensively (dach may be able to generate some O, but he’s a perimeter guy that will have no real quality line mates and he’s coming back from injury). I.E lost Monahan.
-lost nhl ready depth on D with nobody coming in
-forward core is even younger.
-No real 1D for games that matter ( guhle is the closest thing, Matheson is not a player to use in games that matter)

Every other team in the division improved and wants to be competitive.
Meanwhile mtl has a coach that that doesn’t believe in applying any system.
Habs will be very bad this year, probably bottom 3 in the league, unless Suzuki takes another step.

If this team has a horrible 3 first weeks, it’s GG

Last edited:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Another proof you only look at the surface level.

We will see about that.
The advanced analytics were even worse.

You had an atrocious penalty kill and traded away your only somewhat competent PK guy in kovacevic.

Got dominated night in night out in terms of shots and chances, and the only thing keeping you competitive was an excellent goaltending season. However, with goaltending volatility, that's not necessarily repeatable from 2 lower pedigree goalies.

Getting Dach back and adding Hutson may improve the PP, but Dach has NOT been an effective 5v5 player at any point in terms of individual production, or at all unless he was on Suzuki's wing

Reactions: Theodore450

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Yeah the division is still too strong, we are at least 2 years from making real noise.

As for the proposal, Xhekaj si a non starter to me. Unless it's like 1st + your best prospect or something the Habs can't refuse, but obviously no team woukd do that.

TLDR; X is worth more to us on the ice than in a trade.

Reactions: viceroy

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It’s comments like this one gives habs fans a bad name.

This team is easily the worst team in the division.
-no Jake Allen to take on the better teams, goaltending will dip.
-no 2c to support the team defensively or offensively (dach may be able to generate someone, but he’s a perimeter guy that will have no real quality line mates and he’s coming back from injury. I.E lost Monahan.
-lost nhl ready depth on D with nobody coming in
-forward core is even younger.
-No real 1D for games that matter ( guhle is the closest thing, Matheson is not a player to use in games that matter)

Every other team in the division improved and wants to be competitive.
Meanwhile mtl has a coach that that doesn’t believe in applying any system.
Habs will be very bad this year, probably bottom 3 in the league, unless Suzuki takes another step.

If this team has a horrible 3 first weeks, it’s GG
Really? I give Habs fan a bad name?

-Primeau is not a noticeable downgrade on Allen (if not an upgrade).
-If Dach plays like he's shown he can, he's a definite upgrade.
-Our depth on D is better than last year, not sure what you've been watching. Kovacevic was traded because we had too much depth.
- How is our forward core younger? Every young guy is a year older and closer to their prime.

I think you underestimate the ability of the young guys and forget that many key pieces missed good chunks of the season last year.

If the habs stay healthy they will do better than last year and at the very least be competitive vs the rest of the bottom 4 in the division.

No idea where we finish, but the Habs performance should keep climbing up like it did last year.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The advanced analytics were even worse.

You had an atrocious penalty kill and traded away your only somewhat competent PK guy in kovacevic.

Got dominated night in night out in terms of shots and chances, and the only thing keeping you competitive was an excellent goaltending season. However, with goaltending volatility, that's not necessarily repeatable from 2 lower pedigree goalies.

Getting Dach back and adding Hutson may improve the PP, but Dach has NOT been an effective 5v5 player at any point in terms of individual production, or at all unless he was on Suzuki's wing

The fact that I said surface level and your mind directly went to advanced stats is again what I'm talking about.

You analyze hockey in a vacuum.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Really? I give Habs fan a bad name?

-Primeau is not a noticeable downgrade on Allen (if not an upgrade).
-If Dach plays like he's shown he can, he's a definite upgrade.
-Our depth on D is better than last year, not sure what you've been watching. Kovacevic was traded because we had too much depth.
- How is our forward core younger? Every young guy is a year older and closer to their prime.

I think you underestimate the ability of the young guys and forget that many key pieces missed good chunks of the season last year.

If the habs stay healthy they will do better than last year and at the very least be competitive vs the rest of the bottom 4 in the division.

No idea where we finish, but the Habs performance should keep climbing up like it did last year.
You clearly have an idea and a belief in your head that will keep you locked into that thought process.

They will fall, this team will be much worse.
There’s no team in our own division that will be worse.
Dach has never shown to be a 2C.
When making prediction ( which are dumb to begin with) you need to look at the odds of something actually happening.
Potential is just a possible reality, when making prediction you need to guess the most probable reality.

Bunch of young guys with no structure.
I can’t honestly find 5 worse teams that us.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The fact that I said surface level and your mind directly went to advanced stats is again what I'm talking about.

You analyze hockey in a vacuum.
Which aspect of hockey will improve significantly and why?

I will give you, potentially some improvement on the PP if Hutson is an upgrade over Matheson and Dach is an upgrade over newhook/Monahan (although none of Dach/Slaf/Newhook/Monahan/etc were the engine of the PPs results, that is heavily driven by Suzuki, Caufield, and Matheson).

Which teams are they jumping?

Utah just added Marino and Sergachev, VASTLY improving their defensive core.
Ottawa just went from the worst goaltending in hockey to Ullmark
Seattle just went out and got Stephenson and Montour to add to their roster
NJD added massively
Buffalo added significantly to their bottom 6.

And behind them, don't sleep on chicago who added significantly to their Dcore (which will now be much better than MTLs with Seth Jones, Vlasic, Martinez, Brodie, Murphy, and Korchinski).

CBJ is in a very similar spot to MTL in terms of how they played last year, and hoping for injury luck and internal improvement.

SJS will still likely suck, but they're gonna be adding Will Smith, Macklin Celebrini, Walman, and Tyler Toffoli

The Ducks have done f*** all I expect them to finish dead last tbh. And tbh I'll give you the flames a a dumpster team (although MTL fans seem convinced they'll somehow finish 11th worst).

Maybe you're hoping Pittsburgh falls off the map?

Behind: SJS, Anaheim, Calgary
Same Tier: CBJ, Chicago.
Ahead: Everyone else

You clearly have an idea and a belief in your head that will keep you locked into that thought process.

When making prediction ( which are dumb to begin with) you need to look at the odds of something actually happening.
Potential is just a possible reality, when making prediction you need to guess the most probable reality.

I see 3 worse teams.

Anaheim, Calgary, and SJS still.

2 teams that could go either way in Chicago and CBJ.

And everyone else a step ahead. Best bet to get to 7th overall pick is Pittsburgh falling off the map with age I'd think.

The goaltending will be a lot worse this year I think. Primeau and Montembault both had excellent years last year. But, unless it's a star goalie like a shesterkin or a swayman or a hellebuyuck, I am inclined to predict average goaltending results for every team in the league, given the volatility. Could be much better, could be MUCH worse.

Last edited:

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Exiting the rebuild without a 1c, 1d and a 1G, seems destined for mediocrity. You guys have some good young wingers but they are the easiest pieces to trade or sign.

Hoglander definitely makes zero sense for you guys and WIFI makes no sense for us.

You guys need a top Centre and we need an RHD that won't block Willander and that looks like a TDL move.
Habs can make a package of picks, prospects to aquire one or more likely draft one after a bottom 5 finish this year.
Suzuki- Dach- Newhook is not gonna cut it, not even close!
Man that crow you will be eating this year is going to be tough

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Yes. We are on our upward curve (which actually started this year if you actually look further than draft position). We are on the build phase, not rebuild. I expect to be in the playoffs by 2026 at the latest.

We have a top centre signed for 6 more years.

We also have a pretty deep D pool and G pool that don't really benefit from further tanking except if we could get a bona fide blue chip prospect which a late 1st is very unlikely to provide.

I would be very surprised to finish bottom 5 this year, unless significant injuries occur.

Suzuki is fine at 1C.
Dach is fine as 2C if he can play like before his injury. If not, use him and extra assets to get one who do.
Newhook likely ends up on the wing as backup FO taker. Kapanen and Beck are the aim for 3C.
Evans is fine as 4C, else you get the loser of Kapanen/Beck or some FA.

If the Canucks are in the teens, fire their GM.
Having a deep pool is one thing, but you still need those guys to actually emerge and become good NHL players. 2026 is way too early.
Soucy is good. idk why you're referring to him as an afterthought here
Soucy is good, but he has a lot of injury history. If he goes down which imo is likely, our left side becomes a huge problem.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

I will give you, potentially some improvement on the PP if Hutson is an upgrade over Matheson and Dach is an upgrade over newhook/Monahan (although none of Dach/Slaf/Newhook/Monahan/etc were the engine of the PPs results, that is heavily driven by Suzuki, Caufield, and Matheson).

NJD added massively

And behind them, don't sleep on chicago who added significantly to their Dcore (which will now be much better than MTLs with Seth Jones, Vlasic, Martinez, Brodie, Murphy, and Korchinski).

CBJ is in a very similar spot to MTL in terms of how they played last year, and hoping for injury luck and internal improvement.

SJS will still likely suck, but they're gonna be adding Will Smith, Macklin Celebrini, Walman, and Tyler Toffoli

The Ducks have done f*** all I expect them to finish dead last tbh. And tbh I'll give you the flames a a dumpster team (although MTL fans seem convinced they'll somehow finish 11th worst).

I see 3 worse teams.

And everyone else a step ahead. Best bet to get to 7th overall pick is Pittsburgh falling off the map with age I'd think.

6/7 would be an improvement over last year.

I expect the Habs to be somewhere in the 6-15 range. The high variation being due to health and progression of the young guys.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013

NJD added massively

I see 3 worse teams.

The goaltending will be a lot worse this year I think. Primeau and Montembault both had excellent years last year. But, unless it's a star goalie like a shesterkin or a swayman or a hellebuyuck, I am inclined to predict average goaltending results for every team in the league, given the volatility. Could be much better, could be MUCH worse.
I agree with everything you said.
I too see the ducks, hawks, as being easily worse but they have the potential to play much better. SJS will be the worst team again.

I add flames and flyers as being closer to us, but if I’m being honest flames will be around 10 in the west.
Jackets should be much better.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
The value is there, but I don't want to let go of Xhekaj before we know what he is. The tools are there for him to be a top 4 guy. If he can pull it off, he'll be an extremely rare player.

I don't see the same upside in Hoglander and a most likely late first. Even tho I do like Hoglander since his draft year, I think he's more of a middle sixer.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I don't think the Habs do this, because they kind of need Xhekaj to bring some size and toughness to their lineup and seem to still have high hopes for him.

But i really don't understand it from a Canucks at all either. Giving up a 1st and Hoglander, the two best trade chips Vancouver has...for a 4th line Center (when they already have eleventy billion Forwards, albeit not RH Centers), and a young, unproven bottom-pair defenceman with some durability problems? Dumping Poolman's IR contract is convenient, but not something pressing enough that i'd want to give up huge value to do.

If the Canucks are giving up a Hoglander + 1st Package...it should be for a targeted upgrade, with an established veteran at a position of need. ie. A bonafide Top-4D Upgrade. Even if that's just a rental.
Fair criticism.

I do like Evans and Xhekaj as good depth pieces for us, perhaps from our end it’s definitely more of an expensive trade here. Habs fans seem to not want anything to do with this either but likely because they believe Xhekaj could be a 4/5 option for them in the future, and to be honest, I do share that sentiment.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Having a deep pool is one thing, but you still need those guys to actually emerge and become good NHL players. 2026 is way too early.

Soucy is good, but he has a lot of injury history. If he goes down which imo is likely, our left side becomes a huge problem.

Why is 2026 too early?

Which part do you expect the Habs to miss in 2026 for making the playoffs?

You have to consider Hughes will likely be very busy in the summer 2025 due to both salary and roster spots freeing up.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I agree with everything you said.
I too see the ducks, hawks, as being easily worse but they have the potential to play much better. SJS will be the worst team again.

I add flames and flyers as being closer to us, but if I’m being honest flames will be around 10 in the west.
Jackets should be much better.
I think the flames are gonna be atrocious, especially after they sell at the deadline.

my lottery order

Anaheim
Flames
SJS (their dcore will still suck ass but the forwards should be a lot better)

Tier

CBJ
MTL
Hawks

Tier

Pittsburgh (age may make the wheels fall off)

Philly
Ottawa
??? (Could be any number of teams this is where it starts to get really crowded

If Laine plays in CBJ I think I'd move them above MTL.

Reactions: Theodore450

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Why is 2026 too early?

Which part do you expect the Habs to miss in 2026 for making the playoffs?

You have to consider Hughes will likely be very busy in the summer 2025 due to both salary and roster spots freeing up.
I guess that depends on what they do summer of 2025.

From an outsiders perspective, I think a lot has to go right. Slafkovsky being an 80 point player, Hutson/Reinbacher emerging as top 3 defenseman right out the gate. as well as the other defenseman panning out. that also requires experience. In the same breath, Demidov will also require an adjustment period to NA.

Habs are pretty damn young team.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Fair criticism.

I do like Evans and Xhekaj as good depth pieces for us, perhaps from our end it’s definitely more of an expensive trade here. Habs fans seem to not want anything to do with this either but likely because they believe Xhekaj could be a 4/5 option for them in the future, and to be honest, I do share that sentiment.

I mean, Xhekaj may or may not eventually become a #4/5 option for the Habs...and they're justified in wanting to just keep a young player around as part of their rebuild and find out. I'm not really that confident in it, but it doesn't really matter as right now he's just a bottom-pairing guy. And right now is what matters to Vancouver.

And at the same time...last year the Canucks were able to nab a better, far more proven #4/5D in Zadorov mid-season for just a 3rd and 5th. Not spending their two most valuable trade chips like a 1st + Hoglander to do so.

And given where Vancouver appears to be at right now...the more "proven" veteran options are the better bet for what they need. Even if that means they have to wait 'til later in the year when the cap can be shoehorned in to fit.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020

The first line of Caufeild ,Suzuki and Slafkovsky scored in and about 50 of their 81 in their last 41 games. Prorated over 82 games would be 102 goals. that is with no allowance for any of them bettering their play. The goaltending should be better for no better reason than if Monty and CP replicate their numbers over 82. games. In and about 36 goals with that. They may actually have a second line now and health yes will be a factor.Both Armia and Gallagher seemed to have figured things out. Now if Anderson can can find a Buhddist Monk on top of a mountain somewhere and he can find his inner Yeti that could be interesting. Much has been made out about the inexperience of the blueline but with every game played that is one more game added to the resume.Should say Hutson makes the team and he has what we think he has where he gets Calder points we may hit tipping point as we were in 41; 1 goal games last year. what i am expecting this year are long whiney threads on how the Habs are over rated.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Are we talking 2025-2026 or 2026-2027? A lot of our defenseman will have 3+ full seasons under their belts by then (Guhle, Xhekaj, Struble/Barron/Harris) while Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Caufield will be in their prime to go along Slafkovsky and Roy with a bit of experience as well.

I'd say that group would be 1-2 players being better sooner and/or 1-2 trade/ufa away from competing for the playoffs. While Buffalo, Ottawa and Detroit are rebuilding, teams like Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington, Islanders and Tampa will start to fade by the next 3 years.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I mean, Xhekaj may or may not eventually become a #4/5 option for the Habs...and they're justified in wanting to just keep a young player around as part of their rebuild and find out. I'm not really that confident in it, but it doesn't really matter as right now he's just a bottom-pairing guy. And right now is what matters to Vancouver.

And at the same time...last year the Canucks were able to nab a better, far more proven #4/5D in Zadorov mid-season for just a 3rd and 5th. Not spending their two most valuable trade chips like a 1st + Hoglander to do so.

And given where Vancouver appears to be at right now...the more "proven" veteran options are the better bet for what they need. Even if that means they have to wait 'til later in the year when the cap can be shoehorned in to fit.
The thing with Zadorov is that he was a 28/29 year old finished product with a year left with some salary and a history of being a so so to decent bottom pairing defenseman, so value wise, i think it was appropriate (although I do believe he came at a slight under cost regardless).

I do think Hoglander + 1st should be in play pretty much as soon as the season starts or earlier in the season to address other areas (or a major area) of the team, considering he’s really our only valuable trade piece that is expendable. Perhaps not for this proposal.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Zadorov trade was seen as a bad trade for Calgary and he was only a rental. I also think Zadorov overachieved during his stint in Vancouver. I think they dodged a bullet letting him walk.

Xhekaj has the potential to be a long term solution. Xhekaj is already a 3rd pair defenseman, the question is, can he be a 2nd pairing guy facing skilled/fast players every night.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The first line of Caufeild ,Suzuki and Slafkovsky scored in and about 50 of their 81 in their last 41 games. Prorated over 82 games would be 102 goals. that is with no allowance for any of them bettering their play. The goaltending should be better for no better reason than if Monty and CP replicate their numbers over 82. games. In and about 36 goals with that. They may actually have a second line now and health yes will be a factor.Both Armia and Gallagher seemed to have figured things out. Now if Anderson can can find a Buhddist Monk on top of a mountain somewhere and he can find his inner Yeti that could be interesting. Much has been made out about the inexperience of the blueline but with every game played that is one more game added to the resume.Should say Hutson makes the team and he has what we think he has where he gets Calder points we may hit tipping point as we were in 41; 1 goal games last year. what i am expecting this year are long whiney threads on how the Habs are over rated.
MTL was in a lot of 1 score games yes. Which got them a bunch of loser points.

They had a TERRIBLE goal differential.

5th worst goal differential, 5th worst record checks out completely.
4th worst expected goal differential, 5th worst record checks out completely.

Mtl isn't some diamond in the rough.

This isn't a season like the 21-22 Devils, who's goalies let in 60 goals more than expectation, and when the goaltending the following year played decently, that was a 70 goal swing off goaltending alone.

Nothing internally suggests MTLs bad record last year was bad luck. They're a shit team, who made 0 additions in the offseason

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Xhekaj and Jake Evans for Hoglander, Poolman (IR/LTIR), 2025 1st, and an extra 3rd or 4th round pick.

Hoglander and his 24 goals last season is a cheap top 9 option at $1.1M. Agitator, high energy, offensive skill and could be a complimentary piece to the top 6. Also has breakout potential.

Canucks need a right hand centerman and some depth on the left side considering we are thin. After Hughes, it’s Soucy and Forbort.
The value is probably there. Unlike some Habs fans I have not penciled the big man in as the next Larry Robinson. He certainly has potential and may be a top 4 d-man, the big guys take longer to develop. That strength is an asset, he needs to get better at defending but he is young. The fighting is nice but if he becomes a top 4 D-man the fighting is only as a deterrence (much like Chara back in the day) You can't have a top 4 D man sitting in the box for 5 or 15 mins a game because he accepts every challenge from some 9 min a game 4th line enforcer.

similarly we don't know what Hoglander is, can he be a top 6 winger? 3 spots are probably taken LT in Mtl, Caulfield, Slaf and Demidov. He is left competing with the Newhooks, Roys, Kapannens for that slot. Not sure his potential is any higher than theirs. The late 1st is a long way from making an impact

If I am Mtl I keep my powder dry and if I decide to trade Xhekaj it is part of a package I use to get that last top 6 winger.

Nothing wrong with the value here, in isolation mtl probably wins the proposed trade but it does not really address a need long term

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
MTL was in a lot of 1 score games yes. Which got them a bunch of loser points.

T
his isn't a season like the 21-22 Devils, who's goalies let in 60 goals more than expectation, and when the goaltending the following year played decently, that was a 70 goal swing off goaltending alone.

Nothing internally suggests MTLs bad record last year was bad luck. They're a shit team, who made 0 additions in the offseason
MTL was in a lot of 1 s
core games yes. Which got them a bunch of loser points.
One goal games suggest they were close and the difference between a loser point and 2 pointer is not much.
Take out Allen's numbers and prorate Monty's and CP"s numbers without considering any improvement would gain at 36 goals off the goal differential. If Caufeild-Suzuki-Slafkovsky had scored at the same rate in the first 41 games you could add another 23 goals to goals for. There is more but at this point but these 2 facets would put them in the hunt.

Amongst the youngest teams in the league with the youngest defense while dealing with a crippling amount of injuries. 8 point improvement in the standings two drafts into a rebuild.

This isn't a season like the 21-22 Devils, who's goalies let in 60 goals more than expectation, and when the goaltending the following year played decently, that was a 70 goal swing off goaltending alone.

Last year was a development year and 2 drafts into the rebuild.Back luck? I would define losing Dach 4 periods into the season from a freak event I would call unlucky myself along with a large body count of other injuries. I will state they they have started to get a handle on it and should continue along this line. I could see a 75 goal swing in the goal differential as the top end of the possible spectrum next year. I expect to see a lot of postings on how the Habs are over rated next year. But go on.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad