GDT: Vancouver Canucks @ Minnesota Wild: Feat. Moustache Miller

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Boeser needs some serious help on how to move the puck along the boards in his own zone. He’s done it on many occasions where he’s scared+trapped and he brings the puck BACK to the defence below the goal line. That must drive the coaches nuts, it certainly drives me nuts. Never bring the puck back unless you’re 100% - you always want to bring the puck forward - chip it off the boards out of zone if you have no play. Bringing the puck back leads to getting hemmed in your own zone and creates scoring chances for other team.

i wonder if he has an injury.

he's also shy on ozone entries and bails on possession too quickly under pressure, although his passing ability compensates. it is odd because he will stand in front of the net and also mix it up somewhat behind the net but overall his willingness to get physical is inversely proportionate to the distance from a scoring position.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

he's also shy on ozone entries and bails on possession too quickly under pressure, although his passing ability compensates. it is odd because he will stand in front of the net and also mix it up somewhat behind the net but overall his willingness to get physical is inversely proportionate to the distance from a scoring position.

If he has an injury it's been all season because his play hasn't really changed other than a blip in the first 5-7 games of Boudreau.

He's approaching 'ES liability' status right now.

Reactions: Tact

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Brock has been a different player (shys from contact) since he injured his back.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Pettersson was mostly a C at ES in 18-19 as a rookie when he took over 600 faceoffs. In 19-20, he took only 140.

At the time, the narrative was that JT Miller was a winger and that Pettersson was 'really' the C.

Two years later, with Miller entrenched as a top #1C and Pettersson playing lots on the wing ... was the narrative at that time really correct, or were we all just seeing what we wanted to see because we were emotionally attached to the notion of Pettersson as a franchise #1C?

I think it’s correct. Ep doesn’t have the board battle in the trenches ability wingers need. He’s better suited creating from possession/back checking and not winger puck retrieval. The fact that Miller doesn’t even back check at all and just goal sucks kind of cements it too.

I still have no idea why Miller is on the pk and when the opposition pulls their goalie.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
watch it again. it's as meat and potatoes a deke as you will see. if your point is you should never blame a goalie for allowing a breakaway goal, i can see the argument if they play it properly, but i think demko will tell you he should have had position to have his right pad covering the right post until he was sure. there was nothing i can see that justified overcommitting to his left. he was beat on a basic move.

to me that's roughly as great a sin as hughes making a bad pass in the ozone losing possession or miller as last man back failing to take the man/anticipate eriksson-ek's little burst of speed to get separation. all mistakes that get made in hockey games.

also, comments like "completely stupid take" always gets me demerits with mods here. ymmv.

Absurd. He's coming in at full speed your idea of a meat and potatoes deke makes no sense its just a stubborn opinion to blame Demko.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Is our goalie graveyard days back? Took Luongo to correct it and people still blame him for 2011. Lol 😂 I hope it’s not back and we support Luongo when he gets in the hhof.

I do blame him for that cap recapture though. Why couldn’t you just get paid for doing nothing like everyone else? Well I blame dim partially too.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is our goalie graveyard days back? Took Luongo to correct it and people still blame him for 2011. Lol 😂 I hope it’s not back and we support Luongo when he gets in the hhof.

I do blame him for that cap recapture though. Why couldn’t you just get paid for doing nothing like everyone else? Well I blame dim partially too.
Goalie Graveyard? We have the best goalie in the league, when considering his quality of saves and contract. Put Demko on an actually good team (say Colorado) and he's winning multiple Vezina's. Without Demko and we are drafting top five. Our team is actually quite bad. We just happen to have a saviour in nets.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
watch it again. it's as meat and potatoes a deke as you will see. if your point is you should never blame a goalie for allowing a breakaway goal, i can see the argument if they play it properly, but i think demko will tell you he should have had position to have his right pad covering the right post until he was sure. there was nothing i can see that justified overcommitting to his left. he was beat on a basic move.

to me that's roughly as great a sin as hughes making a bad pass in the ozone losing possession or miller as last man back failing to take the man/anticipate eriksson-ek's little burst of speed to get separation. all mistakes that get made in hockey games.

also, comments like "completely stupid take" always gets me demerits with mods here. ymmv.
Eh, I understand the meat and potatoes thing but Ek was coming in very quickly - most people pull this when they're going a lot slower. Definitely not everyone can execute this move at full speed. You see how much he has to widen his stance and there's snow flying from his blades because he slows down very quickly.

Second, Ek added an extension on his forehand where he had full control which allowed him to steer it around Demko's pad in response to the desperation leg lunge. The other thing is often guys will blindly do the move and put it into the pads because they aren't reading the play like Ek does here.

Finally, in the last few games I think Demko hasn't been doing the micro repositioning he needs to respond to changes where shots are released, so I'm not going to blame him here for covering forehand-backhand-shelf which is another very common move in this situation.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Absurd. He's coming in at full speed your idea of a meat and potatoes deke makes no sense its just a stubborn opinion to blame Demko.

well double absurd on you.

why would i want to blame demko? i don't think i've ever said a critical word about the guy. goalies make mistakes. i have also already said i don't any of the three mistakes leading to the goal are a big deal.

i commented because that's my deke, and i recognized it, and i know it hardly ever works.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Goalie Graveyard? We have the best goalie in the league, when considering his quality of saves and contract. Put Demko on an actually good team (say Colorado) and he's winning multiple Vezina's. Without Demko and we are drafting top five. Our team is actually quite bad. We just happen to have a saviour in nets.

Yup. We went through hell until Luongo came and corrected it. We were sitting pretty for awhile but Halak costing us the season and demko hasn’t been himself talks are cropping up from the usual suspects.

Some people just can’t accept that our team is garbage without Ian Clark and Demko so they have to blame goaltending I guess.

Although it is pretty obvious that Demko is gassed. Can’t blame him though if the team is delusional enough about their chances to constantly overwork him.

Reactions: Fatass

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
well double absurd on you.

why would i want to blame demko? i don't think i've ever said a critical word about the guy. goalies make mistakes. i have also already said i don't any of the three mistakes leading to the goal are a big deal.

i commented because that's my deke, and i recognized it, and i know it hardly ever works.

So you have ineffectively done a deke that looked similar to the one Eriksson-ek did last night on Demko and believe that is why Demko made a mistake on this breakaway.

Reactions: Vector

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Yup. We went through hell until Luongo came and corrected it. We were sitting pretty for awhile but Halak costing us the season and demko hasn’t been himself talks are cropping up from the usual suspects.

Some people just can’t accept that our team is garbage without Ian Clark and Demko so they have to blame goaltending I guess.

Although it is pretty obvious that Demko is gassed. Can’t blame him though if the team is delusional enough about their chances to constantly overwork him.
Demko has already been absolutely heroic this season so IMO it all evens out.

There was a small chance he could have just kept up his play through the 45+ game mark but as I've said before - he's never played this much in his entire career.

He's so good that we forget he's very much still a developing goalie. This happens to be the part of development where he learns the hard way that it's super difficult to keep up your mental focus after 40+ games and the pressure of being the #1.

Reactions: geebaan

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory

Why do you blame Luongo? it falls entirely on the inept management group of the time that signed him.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why do you blame Luongo? it falls entirely on the inept management group of the time that signed him.
You mean the same management responsible for retooling a club into the best we've ever had, that management?
I'm seeing the last 8 years, under Benning, as the worst in our history. The mess he made will take years to properly clean up.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Okay. I respect your opinion but thats not the discussion at hand.
I'm not the poster who blamed the Luongo recapture on Gillis. Benning was horrid. That's fact. Gillis built the best team we've ever had, and that's fact. Part of what made Gillis great was his understanding of the CBA and how to maximize our cap. Benning was not very good understanding the cap. In fact he capped us out and built a crap team. Gillis was great. Benning was horrid. Facts are facts.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Eh, I understand the meat and potatoes thing but Ek was coming in very quickly - most people pull this when they're going a lot slower. Definitely not everyone can execute this move at full speed. You see how much he has to widen his stance and there's snow flying from his blades because he slows down very quickly.

Second, Ek added an extension on his forehand where he had full control which allowed him to steer it around Demko's pad in response to the desperation leg lunge. The other thing is often guys will blindly do the move and put it into the pads because they aren't reading the play like Ek does here.

Finally, in the last few games I think Demko hasn't been doing the micro repositioning he needs to respond to changes where shots are released, so I'm not going to blame him here for covering forehand-backhand-shelf which is another very common move in this situation.

i hope an nhl player would do it faster than a rec player, and that an nhl goalie would handle it better than an rec goalie.

i actually think the double deke backhand shelf move is more predictable at an nhl level because the single deke is a low percentage play so maybe that is why it worked -- kind of like striking out on a change up, but yeah, i am not an nhl player.

Reactions: mossey3535

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Okay, I respect your opinion. But the discussion at hand was that one user blamed Luongo for the cap recapture when that is quite clearly the fault of former manager Gillis.
Sure, it's Gillis' fault Benning was the worst GM we ever had. I might remind you that For the few years we had Gillis we were actually really good and Cup contenders. If our foolish owner listened to Gillis and rebuilt the club back in 2013, when asked, and not hired Benning we'd be not in the mess we are now. And we'd still have our best GM ever.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Disclaimer. I am probably luongos biggest fan and I don’t blame him for anything else .

I don’t blame Gillis because it was a perfectly legal contract that gave us cap space for other pieces. It was 100% the right move at the time.

Anyways, I blame Luongo for this because he let Talon sucker him into retiring early and give up millions for free just so he could join the panthers management organization slightly early. He could have easily waited and got free money for doing nothing like everyone else with a super long contract and then just join the management group next year after his contract is over.

That said, I find it hard to believe that neither Talon or Luongo didn’t give us the heads up because the move might ruin their relationship with us as long time trade partners. So I am guessing dim Jim just said sure rather than fly to Florida and convince him not to retire yet like he should have if he was a competent gm.

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
Even at the time when former manager Gillis signed the contract it was universally panned as a completely silly thing in the hockey world. Shocking it turned out to be that way.

Good for Luongo but a completely foolish management decision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad