Proposal: Vancouer - New Jersey (Garland and Myers)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
All Rutherford has talked about is wanting cap space. Myers is their biggest cap problem. This solves that
i don't like both contracts. 11m for a smallish middle 6 lw and rhd, who is challenged to play above 3rd pairing, is a half way ticket to cap hell.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
i don't like both contracts. 11m for a smallish middle 6 lw and rhd, who is challenged to play above 3rd pairing, is a half way ticket to cap hell.
There’s nothing really “middle 6” about garland. He’s definitely a top 6 winger. I get the fear of his size but he plays larger than guys who are 6’2. That’s not even a thing/ issue.

But yes Myers $6M cap hit sucks. Not a fan of his. He’s a #5 D, which is way too much for bottom pair. I will say he has played (arguably) his best hockey since signing in Vancouver.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
There’s nothing really “middle 6” about garland. He’s definitely a top 6 winger. I get the fear of his size but he plays larger than guys who are 6’2. That’s not even a thing/ issue.

But yes Myers $6M cap hit sucks. Not a fan of his. He’s a #5 D, which is way too much for bottom pair. I will say he has played (arguably) his best hockey since signing in Vancouver.
let's meet at second line wing. on a contender he probably is a middle 6 wing, as those teams normally can roll out 3 scoring lines. in new jersey he wouldn't sniff the first line. bratt and hughes are both small and garland wouldn't fit with them. so he would either be a second or a third line wing.

the devils already have a poor man's version of garland in andreas johnsson and with arseny gritsyuk they hopefully add another small lhs wing before the garland contract is up. if the devils add wings from outside of their organization size should definitely be a requirement.

Last edited:
Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Garland is just not a fit....We can allocate that 4.9 million much more wisely by staying patient with this rebuild and seeing what we have in our prospects pool....

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I see Garland is the latest love child of this board. OEL was not a put cap dump. He is still a very good man
Friedman linked the Devils to Garland a week or two ago and NJ desperately needs competent scoring wingers. So Devils fans are going a little overboard.

He would easily be NJ's 2nd best winger after Bratt but obviously VAN isn't going to give him up for free. Myers sucks and so does his contract, but not enough to make this deal worth it to them.

It seems like VAN fans are high on Ty Smith, and if they asked for him straight up I might do it. He has not been NHL caliber this season, and with NJ's plethora of LHD prospects I don't think there will be room for him in a few years. He's small, a mediocre skater, and can't think or play defense. He's a positive player when he's scoring points but he hasn't done that this season. He's not going to get a ton of PP time with Dougie Hamilton on the roster and Luke Hughes on the horizon. I might take my chips and cash them in now while other teams think he has value.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Friedman linked the Devils to Garland a week or two ago and NJ desperately needs competent scoring wingers. So Devils fans are going a little overboard.

He would easily be NJ's 2nd best winger after Bratt but obviously VAN isn't going to give him up for free. Myers sucks and so does his contract, but not enough to make this deal worth it to them.

It seems like VAN fans are high on Ty Smith, and if they asked for him straight up I might do it. He has not been NHL caliber this season, and with NJ's plethora of LHD prospects I don't think there will be room for him in a few years. He's small, a mediocre skater, and can't think or play defense. He's a positive player when he's scoring points but he hasn't done that this season. He's not going to get a ton of PP time with Dougie Hamilton on the roster and Luke Hughes on the horizon. I might take my chips and cash them in now while other teams think he has value.
Wow you’re really selling Canucks on Ty Smith haha. When you put it this way we will easily just keep garland. We already have Hughes (smaller LHD). Our biggest needs is a top 4 RHD.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Don't think we'd have interest in Smith, we have a similar prospect in Rathbone who we hope will be ready for next season.

So that brings us back to top-4 RD and 3C.

If we're talking that RD then it's Severson but as I've said, I think Boeser makes more sense in that swap.

As for 3C, I imagine Mercer won't be cheap if even available.

I'm sure we'd have some interest in other guys like Zacha, Wood, etc. but like the players suggested in the OP, they don't move the needle for Garland.

Reactions: Braeden

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Don't think we'd have interest in Smith, we have a similar prospect in Rathbone who we hope will be ready for next season.

So that brings us back to top-4 RD and 3C.

If we're talking that RD then it's Severson but as I've said, I think Boeser makes more sense in that swap.

As for 3C, I imagine Mercer won't be cheap if even available.

I'm sure we'd have some interest in other guys like Zacha, Wood, etc. but like the players suggested in the OP, they don't move the needle for Garland.
Mercer is playing 3C out of necessity but IMO his game is better suited for the wing. He is horrible at faceoffs and his defensive game, while mature for a 20 year old, is still lacking relative to other NHLers. I would prefer if NJ were to sign a more prototypical 3C and move Mercer to top-6 wing along with Hischier. And yeah, he's not available unless we're going big game hunting.

Severson for Boesser would work for me. NJ's only other RHD are Dougie Hamilton (not available) and PK Subban (I'll take literally anything for him, we'll even retain 50%). Reilly Walsh is a decent RHD prospect, kind of projects similarly to Smith but less raw talent. Great offensive vision, but small and struggles defensively. Future PP2 QB. Doubt VAN would be interested since they seemingly have a lot of other similar players.

Garland would be nice as he's a clear improvement over what NJ has, but we can't break the bank for him. I figured VAN would be bearish on him as his first year with them has been a bit meh.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Myers isn't a cap dump for us any more, at least not one that requires a young top six forward to dump. His play under Boudreau has raised his stock in my eyes, and I'm sure a number of others. I'd give...like a third? Maybe? The contract has 2 years, as of this off season, at 6 million, he plays relatively physical for us, hits and ties up players and all that, and his defensive gaffes have been mitigated, which was my biggest complaint of his play.

Garland plays with a spark, and even his scoring (which hasn't been bad) is secondary to this. He hits, he agitates, he scores, he's a very valuable contributor for us.

More third line players mean nothing to us in Vancouver as well. 54 points in 186 games (combined) isn't a huge selling, considering the play style I've seen.

If you're looking to help Vancouver's cap situation, take OEL and Garland, and give us a top 10 pick, a second, a seventh and 12 million in expiring cap. We've even taken the step of eating a year of OEL's contract and signing Garland to a sweetheart contract. Myers' contract is bad, but not as bad as OEL's, and Garland is signed to a good cap hit, and we're getting a ridiculous lowball offer for what we paid for Garland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad