Proposal: Vancouer - New Jersey (Garland and Myers)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I don't know if we're good trading partners (Mercer, as some Devils fans have mentioned in this thread, might be better suited for wing; Smith is small and mobile; how is Bahl doing? I saw that he's -3 after only playing a few games, is he living up to his NHL shutdown D potential?).

Without very much familiarity of the Devils' system, something like Mercer/ Bahl/ 2nd might be intriguing for Garland (he has term in his contract which should add value)+ either Poolman/ Hamonic.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I don't know if we're good trading partners (Mercer, as some Devils fans have mentioned in this thread, might be better suited for wing; Smith is small and mobile; how is Bahl doing? I saw that he's -3 after only playing a few games, is he living up to his NHL shutdown D potential?).

Without very much familiarity of the Devils' system, something like Mercer/ Bahl/ 2nd might be intriguing for Garland (he has term in his contract which should add value)+ either Poolman/ Hamonic.
The ask for Garland is Mercer and the Devils are out. I am 100% sure the Devils value Mercer much higher than Garland.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

This is insane. I get that Garland is a favorite, but Mercer, in his rookie year, is scoring at the same place as Garland. You want NJ to add a 2nd and a good defensive prospect and take on a cap dump?

Is Vancouver adding two firsts? This has to be one of the worst valuations I've seen in this site.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This is insane. I get that Garland is a favorite, but Mercer, in his rookie year, is scoring at the same place as Garland. You want NJ to add a 2nd and a good defensive prospect and take on a cap dump?

Is Vancouver adding two firsts? This has to be one of the worst valuations I've seen in this site.
i am quite familiar with those kindof evaluations from certain fan bases.

Last edited:

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020

That's fair, Dawson is doing quite well. Has he taken over the 3rd C role?
If so, if it's Garland for McLeod, Bahl and a mid-late round pick, would that fly for New Jersey?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
That's fair, Dawson is doing quite well. Has he taken over the 3rd C role?
If so, if it's Garland for McLeod, Bahl and a mid-late round pick, would that fly for New Jersey?
mercer centered the devils 3rd line for half the games. the other games j.hughes was out and he moved up to 2nd line center.

mcleod, bahl and a 3rd would probably be a low offer for garland. mcleod lacks in skill and offense to ever be more than a 3rd line center. he is ok as a fourth liner this season. bahl had short and disappointing stints in the nhl. i am not a big fan. i think he tops out as a bottom pairing/7th d in the nhl ranks and would be certainly available. i would rank the following lhd ahead of him in the prospect pool:
l.hughes
mukhamadullin
okhotyuk

misyul, zaitsev and vukojevic could give him a run for the fourth spot.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
mercer centered the devils 3rd line for half the games. the other games j.hughes was out and he moved up to 2nd line center.

mcleod, bahl and a 3rd would probably be a low offer for garland. mcleod lacks in skill and offense to ever be more than a 3rd line center. he is ok as a fourth liner this season. bahl had short and disappointing stints in the nhl. i am not a big fan. i think he tops out as a bottom pairing/7th d in the nhl ranks and would be certainly available. i would rank the following lhd ahead of him in the prospect pool:
l.hughes
mukhamadullin
okhotyuk

misyul, zaitsev and vukojevic could give him a run for the fourth spot.

Thanks for being honest. Do you guys have another RH center who would be better than McLeod (does he top out around a Brandon Sutter or poor man's Travis Zajac?) but not unavailable like Mercer? Also if Bahl isn't good, then how is Shak doing and would he be available?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Thanks for being honest. Do you guys have another RH center who would be better than McLeod (does he top out around a Brandon Sutter or poor man's Travis Zajac?) but not unavailable like Mercer? Also if Bahl isn't good, then how is Shak doing and would he be available?
The Devils have a very young center rotation in the NHL, but not a lot behind them. Pitlik is also RHS but only with bottom 6 upside.

The Devils have drafted quite a few RHS wings in the last few drafts. Even if Mercer remains at center, they might have a player for trade. G. Clarke has scoring line upside, but might not get a fair chance to crack the line up in such a role.

Mukhamadullin plays big minutes in the KHL and the national team is trying to develop him for the future. He was invited to the Olympic try outs, but cut. He is probably atleast another season away from coming to North America. I think him and L. Hughes will make Smith expendable.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
So 2 fringe Devils to take on Meyers might be one thing but Garland too, why would the Canucks even entertain this trade offer?
It was based on the idea that Vancouver would super enthusiastic about dumping Myers contract and getting cap space.

They would very likely not be nearly that enthusiastic but that’s the thought process.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It was based on the idea that Vancouver would super enthusiastic about dumping Myers contract and getting cap space.

They would very likely not be nearly that enthusiastic but that’s the thought process.

I get that but then why not take back picks or some younger higher ceiling prospects if they are also giving up Garland here.

Also where do the Canucks spend the money on the cap space freed up here?

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I get that but then why not take back picks or some younger higher ceiling prospects if they are also giving up Garland here.

Also where do the Canucks spend the money on the cap space freed up here?

Probably acquiring some RFAs that are looking for contracts that their teams cant afford

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Just for those that think Myers is so bad............

Tied for 47th in points for RHD
Tied for 20th in +/- for RHD
25th in TOI for RHD
Tied for 33 Even Strength points for RHD

I certainly do not see him as a 5/6 Dman, and with his +/- being what it is, is certainly effective in his role. Is he perfect...no
Is he a cap dump........well not because of performance!

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site

Would we like to rid ourselves of his bloated contract, yes… at the expense of garland, no! Sadly would rather just keep Myers of it means garland has to be attached.

** not sure Myers would waive (for devils) either

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Myers is not a negative contract if he keeps playing like he has this season. No problem keeping him.
I have to be honest, I hardley ever watch the Cannucks. But what you guys write about him,sounds like Subban:
Not worth his contract, but he would leave a hole in the lineup, when taken out.
In the Devils case Subban doesn't harm them, as they are still way below the cap. So no need to get rid of him. His trade value is still very much negativ.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I have to be honest, I hardley ever watch the Cannucks. But what you guys write about him,sounds like Subban:
Not worth his contract, but he would leave a hole in the lineup, when taken out.
In the Devils case Subban doesn't harm them, as they are still way below the cap. So no need to get rid of him. His trade value is still very much negativ.

It is true that he is about a million above mid 3/4 dman, but it is only a million and he signed a veteran UFA contract.

Don't be believing all the neah sayers on here............

Go to NHL.com and check his RHD stats..........you would be suprised who he beats out in some categories.............he is not amazing, but he is an honest 3/4 who plays more on the defensive side..........incredible team player.

Take a look what I posted earlier............pretty simple stats that prove my point. he is a 3/4, but he is completely serviceable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad