Proposal: VAN - TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
My friend, you are making zero sense. Our top 2 lines consist of the likes of Matthews/Tavares/Nylander....so somehow it's a negative that Marner is producing on those lines? Again, Tavares' best season was with Marner.....Bunting is in the Calder conversation playing on a line with Marner....I guess we should drop him to the 3rd line?
Hymans agent had a pretty good year too because of Marner.

Reactions: Just a Fan

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
My friend, you are making zero sense. Our top 2 lines consist of the likes of Matthews/Tavares/Nylander....so somehow it's a negative that Marner is producing on those lines? Again, Tavares' best season was with Marner.....Bunting is in the Calder conversation playing on a line with Marner....I guess we should drop him to the 3rd line?
No, I'm not trying to say he isn't a first line talent, Im saying that at his caphit, he should be the 1-2 punch behind matthews, anchoring his own line and helping spread the cap throughout the team. Signing Tavares was stupid. Having marner play with other 11mil players @ 5v5 is overkill in a cap league, and it shows in the leafs depth on defense and in net.

Reactions: viceroy and gianni

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I'll say it outright!
I'd say there are only 2 Franchise goalies in the NHL right now, and Demko is not one of them.
They are Vasilevski and Shestyorkin and thats it!
there are a handful of 'Elite' #1's and I wouldnt call Demko one of those either, but, he can get there.
He's a solid #1 who can single handedly win a game, and has plenty of Potential, but, he's also 26, not 23 line a Carter Hart, who can look awesome or bad, similar to Demko.
I'd say he's more like an Anderson (pre- Carolina) or a Markstrom who i'm sure you are familiar with. neither is a franchise goalie either.

a similar if opposite example would be Campbell, he's not Elite, but, he had the hot start and had some of the best numbers in the NHL, then his game fell off a cliff and now he barely looks like a #1.
A franchise goalie does not have 8-10 'bad' games in a row.

I'd say Oettinger and Swayman have higher ceilings as an example.
Bahahahaha WHAT!? Everything you just said is flat out wrong. He's not even an elite #1? Oettinger and Swayman have higher ceilings? Demko single handedly almost sent Vancouver into the Stanley Cup semi-finals :laugh:
You're clueless on this topic man yikes.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
No, I'm not trying to say he isn't a first line talent, Im saying that at his caphit, he should be the 1-2 punch behind matthews, anchoring his own line and helping spread the cap throughout the team. Signing Tavares was stupid. Having marner play with other 11mil players @ 5v5 is overkill in a cap league, and it shows in the leafs depth on defense and in net.
Normally when the term 1-2 punch is used, it’s in reference to centres, and he’s already proven to be able to do what you are talking about when he helped Tavares to his best season. You are incorrectly saying that because he’s playing with Matthews, he’s being carried by him…couldn’t be that Marner helps Matthews produce even more?

I mean let’s try this, of JT Miller’s 63 points so far, almost half of them are on the power play (29), so is it fair to say that Miller can’t carry a line 5v5 and needs to have the support of the 1st PP unit to produce?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Marner doesn’t get dealt for a goalie.

End of story

tbh skaters usually don’t get traded for goalies

we traded for freddy and it costed a 1st and a 2nd and he was almost exactly what Demko is right now. Only difference is instead of having him inked to a contract Lou had to give him a 5 x 5 , but I can’t see why Demko would be worth this much more in a hockey deal

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Normally when the term 1-2 punch is used, it’s in reference to centres, and he’s already proven to be able to do what you are talking about when he helped Tavares to his best season. You are incorrectly saying that because he’s playing with Matthews, he’s being carried by him…couldn’t be that Marner helps Matthews produce even more?
He is being paid like the 5th best forward in the league, he's small and soft, has yet to excel in the playoffs, and doesn't carry his own line. These are not particularly desirable traits for a player with his caphit in a cap league. Center or not, for the kind of money he makes, he should unquestionably be able to play without a Matthews/Tavares-level player and still dominate, especially when it matters most. Things could change, but as it is right now, I don't view him as a player that leads the charge on your teams' cup run, and he should be that player if he is making that kind of money.

Reactions: viceroy

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Going into this season Demko had 43 career wins vs. and has a career .913 save percentage. Marner got his contract after a 94 point season.

So while I can't argue that Mitch's contract is a beast, let's at least be realistic here on where each player was at when they signed their deals.
Go rewatxh Demko’s performance in the 2020 playoffs against Vegas
And then compare it to Marner’s playoff performance through out this entire nhl career

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Avs TV guys just reported Petry was traded to Toronto. Middle of the first period of the Avs vs NYI game tonight. I can find no evidence of this. How strange.

that’s some odd scoop if true. Garbage reporting if not.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Avs TV guys just reported Petry was traded to Toronto. Middle of the first period of the Avs vs NYI game tonight. I can find no evidence of this. How strange.

that’s some odd scoop if true. Garbage reporting if not.

Was a fake tweet that people got fooled into

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
He is being paid like the 5th best forward in the league, he's small and soft, has yet to excel in the playoffs, and doesn't carry his own line. These are not particularly desirable traits for a player with his caphit in a cap league. Center or not, for the kind of money he makes, he should unquestionably be able to play without a Matthews/Tavares-level player and still dominate, especially when it matters most. Things could change, but as it is right now, I don't view him as a player that leads the charge on your teams' cup run, and he should be that player if he is making that kind of money.
1 goal and 1 assist so far again tonight….ya, he sucks….

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Go rewatxh Demko’s performance in the 2020 playoffs against Vegas
And then compare it to Marner’s playoff performance through out this entire nhl career

Sure, Demko played four stellar games in one playoff series but remember it's only really fair to compare the deals they got at the time they got them. Marner had a combinde 17 points in 20 playoff games in his first 3 seasons. Not stellar, but not exactly a total dud either.

And by your response you seem to want to dismiss what they'd both done overall to that point. Again, Marner coming of a 94 point season. NINETY-FOUR. Demko was okay all season but shone in FOUR playoff games.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Marner absolutely has much more trade value than Demko, just makes no sense to do that trade from their perspective

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Sure, Demko played four stellar games in one playoff series but remember it's only really fair to compare the deals they got at the time they got them. Marner had a combinde 17 points in 20 playoff games in his first 3 seasons. Not stellar, but not exactly a total dud either.

And by your response you seem to want to dismiss what they'd both done overall to that point. Again, Marner coming of a 94 point season. NINETY-FOUR. Demko was okay all season but shone in FOUR playoff games.

This is as ignorant as saying every point Marner has ever scored came off the back of Matthews efforts.

Demko was stellar with a garbage team when he played for us, and has been better since. Do you think he just decided to play at the level he's at this season? Or he said "let's ruin the Knights scorers' playoffs, since I can"? I mean, we walked away from Markstrom, a top goalie in his own right, for Demko.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Marner absolutely has much more trade value than Demko, just makes no sense to do that trade from their perspective

You love to see it :laugh:

Leafs would run to get that deal done. Demko on the Leafs would make them a true cup contender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad