Proposal: VAN - TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
He's adapted his play style from last year and is on a 37 goal pace while also being a consistent force on the penalty kill. Barkov and Rantanen both have elite linemates and dont get disqualified from this convo despite being behind Marner in ppg.

Let’s wait until he does it in the post season. He had a hot streak and scored a ton of goals.. since then he has only scored in 1 (though it was 4 goals) of his last 9 games. Marner is a great player, but I take any of the others you listed over him… besides maybe Rantanen which I think is a toss up.

Also, 2/4 of the players you listed have a higher PPG than Marner this season as well.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Nothing against Marner as the value is obviously there and thensome (jn a vacuum) but if the Canucks do this trade they essentially put themselves in the position Toronto is now: great forward group but looking for that all important legit goalie.

Right now with how awful the Canucks are defensively there's nobody that impacts the game more than Demko, Leafs fans have seen this twice this season. As good as Marner is, he can't make that kind of impact, especially when you consider the difference cap wise between the two is like another top-4 D-man or top-6 winger.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Marner makes almost $6 million in cap more than Demko per year. I’ll let that sink in

Going into this season Demko had 43 career wins vs. and has a career .913 save percentage. Marner got his contract after a 94 point season.

So while I can't argue that Mitch's contract is a beast, let's at least be realistic here on where each player was at when they signed their deals.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I'm not saying they're going to be better than Demko, but it's definitely easier to find a goalie you can win with than it is someone like Marner.

Most Cup winners in the past two decades drafted their goalie. Fun fact.

Yes they would. Anyone would trade anybody not named McDavid for Matthews

Not with Matthew's contract. I would not touch him unless he agrees to extension, period. Unless I'm the Arizona Coyotes of course.

It would also leave 6mil to get good Dman
Balance the team

And totally ignore the needs of the team you are trading with, good old Leafs fans.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Demko is pretty much off limits, and Marner's caphit is concerning(I mean, we have Demko and Miller for roughly the same $). I won't pretend to know everything about the Leafs, but it seems like their organizational strength is developing forwards. Maybe they should believe in their chances of developing Robertson into replacing Nylander, and explore Nylander+ for a real goalie? Not that I know who would be available...

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Demko is pretty much off limits, and Marner's caphit is concerning(I mean, we have Demko and Miller for roughly the same $). I won't pretend to know everything about the Leafs, but it seems like their organizational strength is developing forwards. Maybe they should believe in their chances of developing Robertson into replacing Nylander, and explore Nylander+ for a real goalie? Not that I know who would be available...
To be fair, Marner signed after having a 94 point season, at the time Miller signed his deal....his high point was 56 points, Marner's worst season was 61. So yes, for another year...your statement holds water, but what will be the cost of re-signing him?

And i'm not pushing any trade here, just posting some context.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Not with Matthew's contract. I would not touch him unless he agrees to extension, period. Unless I'm the Arizona Coyotes of course.
the Coyotes would need a direct cash injection from the league in order to afford him or for revenue sharing to quadruple overnight.

The reality is Auston will probably gravitate to whichever big market can afford him at the time of his contract expiring.

Hoglander

Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
To be fair, Marner signed after having a 94 point season, at the time Miller signed his deal....his high point was 56 points, Marner's worst season was 61. So yes, for another year...your statement holds water, but what will be the cost of re-signing him?

And i'm not pushing any trade here, just posting some context.
Ok, switch Miller for horvat then. Point is more about cap allocation. Dubas signed too many forwards to huge contracts, and forced himself to go to the bargain bin for goalies. A player making 10+ mil should be able to carry a line and be a clutch performer without being attached to the likes of mathews. He should be anchoring the 2nd line like malkin has done, at the money he gets paid. Wouldnt have needed Tavares with that massive contract, and could have spread the cap around more appropriately. Demko is a gamebreaker that gets paid less than half of marner, allowing for another really good piece as well. Playoffs matter too, where demko's sample has been small, but played all-world when it really mattered, and marner has not.

Reactions: viceroy and Cogburn

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Ok, switch Miller for horvat then. Point is more about cap allocation. Dubas signed too many forwards to huge contracts, and forced himself to go to the bargain bin for goalies. A player making 10+ mil should be able to carry a line and be a clutch performer without being attached to the likes of mathews. He should be anchoring the 2nd line like malkin has done, at the money he gets paid. Wouldnt have needed Tavares with that massive contract, and could have spread the cap around more appropriately. Demko is a gamebreaker that gets paid less than half of marner, allowing for another really good piece as well. Playoffs matter too, where demko's sample has been small, but played all-world when it really mattered, and marner has not.
Marner is a winger, not a center. Also, Marner isn't carried by anyone....he actually makes the players around him better. John Tavares had his best season in his 1st year here playing along side Marner. Matthews is on a 62 goal pace this season playing along side Marner....

Again, i'm not suggesting any kind of trade....Demko looks amazing, i just don't see the need to downplay Marner.

Hoglander

Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Marner is a winger, not a center. Also, Marner isn't carried by anyone....he actually makes the players around him better. John Tavares had his best season in his 1st year here playing along side Marner. Matthews is on a 62 goal pace this season playing along side Marner....

Again, i'm not suggesting any kind of trade....Demko looks amazing, i just don't see the need to downplay Marner.
He shouldn't need a mathews or Tavares. Yes marner puts up points, but who wants to spend that much of the cap on a winger that requires Allstars linemates? Someone like Kaprizov can be a big time impact player for less money, with worse linemates. Marner should be doing that, if he is truly worth his contract. Maybe that's on the coaching/management, but until he does that, his contract hurts his value.

Last edited:
Reactions: viceroy

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Are you suggesting that Demko isn’t a franchise goalie?
I'll say it outright!
I'd say there are only 2 Franchise goalies in the NHL right now, and Demko is not one of them.
They are Vasilevski and Shestyorkin and thats it!
there are a handful of 'Elite' #1's and I wouldnt call Demko one of those either, but, he can get there.
He's a solid #1 who can single handedly win a game, and has plenty of Potential, but, he's also 26, not 23 line a Carter Hart, who can look awesome or bad, similar to Demko.
I'd say he's more like an Anderson (pre- Carolina) or a Markstrom who i'm sure you are familiar with. neither is a franchise goalie either.

a similar if opposite example would be Campbell, he's not Elite, but, he had the hot start and had some of the best numbers in the NHL, then his game fell off a cliff and now he barely looks like a #1.
A franchise goalie does not have 8-10 'bad' games in a row.

I'd say Oettinger and Swayman have higher ceilings as an example.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
He shouldn't need a mathews or Tavares. Yes marner puts up points, but who wants to spend that much of the cap on a winger that requires Allstars linemates? Someone like Kaprizov can be a big time impact player for less money, with worse linemates. Marner should be doing that, if he is truly worth his contract. Maybe that's on the coaching, but until he does that, his contract hurts his value.
He doesn't....lol, what, you think they should play a 94 point player on the 3rd line so he doesn't play with good player? He makes good players better....he's not carried by anyone.

Reactions: Mugzy97

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He shouldn't need a mathews or Tavares. Yes marner puts up points, but who wants to spend that much of the cap on a winger that requires Allstars linemates? Someone like Kaprizov can be a big time impact player for less money, with worse linemates. Marner should be doing that, if he is truly worth his contract. Maybe that's on the coaching/management, but until he does that, his contract hurts his value.
:laugh: What? This makes absolutely no sense.

Reactions: Just a Fan

Hoglander

Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
He doesn't....lol, what, you think they should play a 94 point player on the 3rd line so he doesn't play with good player? He makes good players better....he's not carried by anyone.
No, lol. He should be making lesser players better. Another example: panarin gets the most out of krieder and strome, while zibanejad anchors the 2nd line. Marner should be be doing the same, given his massive contract.

Reactions: viceroy

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
No, lol. He should be making lesser players better. Another example: panarin gets the most out of krieder and strome, while zibanejad anchors the 2nd line. Marner should be be doing the same, given his massive contract.
My friend, you are making zero sense. Our top 2 lines consist of the likes of Matthews/Tavares/Nylander....so somehow it's a negative that Marner is producing on those lines? Again, Tavares' best season was with Marner.....Bunting is in the Calder conversation playing on a line with Marner....I guess we should drop him to the 3rd line?

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Toronto doesnt do this because its a hige overpay

Vancouver doesnt do this because it makes absolutely no sense for them to trade their goalie for a winger

Both teams pass it looks like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad