Proposal: VAN - TOR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
LOL as a leafs fan we take that deal and RUN.

Demko would make Toronto a legit contender.

Vancouver would be crazy to entertain the move.
I fully agree. Demko on Toronto makes them an upper echelon favourite. Losing Marner would hurt, but the goaltending improvement would be monumental.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
Pass. Marner is a great player, but we'd(Canucks) lose a franchise goalie and be taking on a ton of cap that we can't afford. We have nobody in our system even close to being able to take Demko's load (hehe).

Reactions: Brad C

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
The only reason the Canucks win any games is almost (almost) entirely due to the goaltending of Thatcher Demko. There's no one in the organization capable of replacing him, so exchanging Demko for pretty much any other player makes the Canucks worse. Plus Marner's contract also knocks down his value in a capped league.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Ignoring how unrealistic this is I would unquestionably do this from a Canucks perspective.

We develop goalies extremely well.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
I learnt from this thread that Demko became one of most overated player on these boards.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
There is no one else good in the pipeline at the moment.

I don't know, we can definitely draft someone and have stopgaps in the net in the meanwhile. Look at how guys like Kuemper/Andersen/Nedeljkovic/Holtby/Grubauer/Greiss have all had their numbers change dramatically depending on what situation they were in.

I'm not saying they're going to be better than Demko, but it's definitely easier to find a goalie you can win with than it is someone like Marner. There's no one even close to being the caliber of player that Marner is in our pipeline.

Reactions: Hoverhand

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
So, obviously this deal won't ever happen for a multitude of reasons but Vancouver has been a goalie factory for quite awhile now and are still in a transitionary period.

There's an interesting conversation to be had about whether taking a risk on another goalie (a position that is very hard to maintain consistent success in) would be worth getting a forward that is scoring points at a rate better than Kucherov, Barkov, and Rantanen to name a few.

Last edited:

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
So, obviously this deal won't ever happen for a multitude of reasons but Vancouver has been a goalie factory for quite awhile now and are still in a transitionary period.

There's an interesting conversation to be had about whether taking a risk on another goalie (a position that is very hard to maintain consistent success in) would be worth getting a forward that is scoring points at a rate better than Kucherov, Mackinnon, Barkov, and Rantanen to name a few.
* in the regular season with arguably the best goal scorer in the league on his line.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
are-you-serious-spiderman.gif

Seriously, no

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
What’s happening with Dipietro?
He looked really good a couple years ago but I haven’t really followed his progress.
Odds of him being a starter in the NHL are very low imo. Some Canucks fans will disagree but he has left a lot to be desired while also being “short” for a goalie.

Reactions: bh53 and cyris

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Vancouver wouldn’t trade Demko even for Auston Matthews. They would laugh and slam the phone and block Dubas and go on airplane mode.
Yes they would. Anyone would trade anybody not named McDavid for Matthews

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
* in the regular season with arguably the best goal scorer in the league on his line.
He's adapted his play style from last year and is on a 37 goal pace while also being a consistent force on the penalty kill. Barkov and Rantanen both have elite linemates and dont get disqualified from this convo despite being behind Marner in ppg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad