Proposal: Van LA Blockbuster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Horvat only has 2 years left until UFA, so I disagree it would be an earnest offer for McDavid...

Offering Hughes + Pettersson would be an honest attempt

No, it wouldn't. There are about three players that are any part of a reasonable offer that you could construct for McDavid that wouldn't leave the roster they are departing so gutted as to be useless and one of them is already on Edmonton.

MacKinnon
Draisaitl
Matthews

Pretty much every other player in the league would require a very significant add to them for some reason or another (either too old in comparison to what McDavid would provide, not proven enough to deal the best player in hockey, or simply being a very good to great player and not elite, elite)

Hughes and Pettersson would be turned down faster than McDavid could finish the All-Star skating competition.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
No, it wouldn't. There are about three players that are any part of a reasonable offer that you could construct for McDavid that wouldn't leave the roster they are departing so gutted as to be useless and one of them is already on Edmonton.

MacKinnon
Draisaitl
Matthews

Pretty much every other player in the league would require a very significant add to them for some reason or another (either too old in comparison to what McDavid would provide, not proven enough to deal the best player in hockey, or simply being a very good to great player and not elite, elite)

Hughes and Pettersson would be turned down faster than McDavid could finish the All-Star skating competition.

Umm. If McDavid is ever traded it will be because he wants out. If he wants out you're not talking those returns.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The OP in this thread:

738a2f1135c868f45769c84ef0669e0d_w200.gif

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Umm. If McDavid is ever traded it will be because he wants out. If he wants out you're not talking those returns.

I'm aware. I'm just saying that in terms of actual roster value, you can base a hypothetical swap including those guys (ignoring the fact that McDavid isn't leaving Edmonton unless he demands out of Edmonton) whereas 99.9% of players in the league are simply so far out of the realm as to be completely ludicrous. In pure hypothetical value for a Connor McDavid swap, that's the type of player you'd have to include to avoid it being an offer that is catastrophic to your roster and at that point, you're probably better keeping your guy anyway. Colorado would clearly never offer up MacKinnon for McDavid either.

My post was more to state how I don't think that Hughes + Pettersson is an earnest offer for McDavid. I don't think that's remotely close.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Oh look someone who has never watched Horvat play, like even once, or has any idea who Horvat is. :thumbu:

Your team does this every day of the week, do some research, you'll see.
Ok let me see. LA trades a generational dman who is arguably still in his prime, for a young up and coming dman, which they already have enough of - needing vets and experience... And throw in a forward who's got some skill. What universe does this make sense in for the kings? SMH.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Ok let me see. LA trades a generational dman who is arguably still in his prime, for a young up and coming dman, which they already have enough of - needing vets and experience... And throw in a forward who's got some skill. What universe does this make sense in for the kings? SMH.
LA is trading away the worst of the three players in this deal. To get two better players, both of which are younger.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

This universe. This trade is ludicrously slanted towards the Kings in this universe.

For more reference, Hughes is 132 games into his career, skating 20+ mins a night and over 25 a night so far this year. He's not some prospect D now. He's an NHL defenseman.

In his 132 games, he's got 99 points. In Drew Doughty's last 132 games, he's got around 79.

If I'm Vancouver, I don't swap Quinn Hughes for Drew Doughty because they have the same term and Hughes is making 3.15M less than Doughty while playing at the same level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
So LA gives up their best dman of ages in return for a young dman and a top 9 forward? LA needs Doughty. That's a No.
Tell me you don’t follow hockey outside of la without telling me you don’t follow hockey outside of la.

I guess he is absolutely right.
What do you call a 39 point forward?

I guess Kopitar is a middle 6 forward? I mean what else do you call a 50 point forward?

In your eyes pettersson must be a 4th line 21 point player. Crazy that he signed for over 7M per and that’s seen as a fair contract for a 21 point player! Has the hockey world gone mad thinking that’s worth 7M?!?

Last edited:

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
This universe. This trade is ludicrously slanted towards the Kings in this universe.

For more reference, Hughes is 132 games into his career, skating 20+ mins a night and over 25 a night so far this year. He's not some prospect D now. He's an NHL defenseman.

In his 132 games, he's got 99 points. In Drew Doughty's last 132 games, he's got around 79.

If I'm Vancouver, I don't swap Quinn Hughes for Drew Doughty because they have the same term and Hughes is making 3.15M less than Doughty while playing at the same level.
Doughty is a beast with minutes. Playing on an offensively anemic team. He's worth much more than he would fetch in a trade. LA says no, as does van.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Doughty is a beast with minutes. Playing on an offensively anemic team. He's worth much more than he would fetch in a trade. LA says no, as does van.

That's fair. Doughty for Hughes taking all into consideration is a fair swap (age and lesser contract $ on Hughes's side with needing to grow to become a truly complete D, veteran experience and being a truly elite two-way D on Doughty's side with his age and prohibitive term as a downside).

In no world is Bo Horvat the difference between the two. Just given the age and lesser contract while blooming into a top pairing/#1D role, I'd take Hughes over Doughty straight up and would actually probably want the add coming from LA (insignificant, sure, but I think Hughes at 7.85 is worth ever so slightly more than Drew Doughty at 11M)

That's why this contract is bad. It's two players who valuewise are pretty close with Vancouver for some reason adding in another high value asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad