Confirmed Trade: [VAN/COL] Tucker Poolman (20% retained) and 2025 4th round pick for D Erik Brannstrom

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Short sample size so far obviously but curios to know why this guy never stuck with Ottawa, he seems like a solid player that I feel at some point maybe he can be a #4/5.

Last year, according to the metrics, the Brannchise was like... Ottawa's second best DEFENSIVE defenseman... but he small and Ottawa like big, no like small, so he no good.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Short sample size on Brannstrom so far obviously but curios to know why this guy never stuck with Ottawa, he seems like a solid player that I feel at some point maybe he can be a #4/5.
Why would it be on the Sens? He wasn't good there. It's mostly due to being let go by them and also being traded by the Avs after a not so good camp after just signing with them, then getting waived to play in the AHL by his third team within a year. Maybe that more than likely lit a fire under his ass to be better?

I despise the blaming of the team or player about this sort of situation. Mostly because a change of scenery has done wonders for a lot of players and gives a lot the kick in the rear they really needed to push themselves more. Also on the flip side, a lot of teams are too stubborn to give the player a change of scenery when it isn't working out, out of fear they will elsewhere and make them look bad because they might be on the cusp of figuring it out if they wait it out (Kaapo in NY, Bennett in Calgary, Forsling, etc etc).

Our forsling! 👏
This should end well.

• Haha
Reactions: Canucks LB

misplacedsensfan

Jun 9, 2009
Vancouver
Short sample size on Brannstrom so far obviously but curios to know why this guy never stuck with Ottawa, he seems like a solid player that I feel at some point maybe he can be a #4/5.
Ottawa has Chabot and Sanderson on the left side. They wanted someone more physical on the third pair. They tried Brannstrom on the right but he wasn’t great. I think they wanted to keep him but not at 2.5 m qualifying offer and he wouldn’t take less to stay.

He is a legit good defenseman and could be a top 4 d man on a good team if he is paired with a physical RHD. I was more surprised that no one else in the NHL recognised the opportunity.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Brannstrom had a breif stint in Abbotsford before Canucks recalled him and utterly dominated there - so there is that. You wonder if Canucks defense can go with both Brannstrom and Hughes. Really same type of player although Hughes is a lot better.

sena

Jul 3, 2024
Why would it be on the Sens? He wasn't good there. It's mostly due to being let go by them and also being traded by the Avs after a not so good camp after just signing with them, then getting waived to play in the AHL by his third team within a year. Maybe that more than likely lit a fire under his ass to be better?

I despise the blaming of the team or player about this sort of situation. Mostly because a change of scenery has done wonders for a lot of players and gives a lot the kick in the rear they really needed to push themselves more. Also on the flip side, a lot of teams are too stubborn to give the player a change of scenery when it isn't working out, out of fear they will elsewhere and make them look bad because they might be on the cusp of figuring it out if they wait it out (Kaapo in NY, Bennett in Calgary, Forsling, etc etc).

This should end well.
He was ok on the Sens, Jake Sanderson showed up and stole his job. He filled in rather well when everyone got hurt and he was given ice time but most games DJ wanted him to be a defensive PK type so it was not meant to be.
He skates well and has a heavy shot, He is just small and gets blasted once and a while, he hops right back up most the time.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Our forsling! 👏
Interesting. Similar development path? Needed to accept he’s a defensive D man first and a guy who gets involved offensively second? When a guy skates as well as Branstrom, he can be a player if he’s smart enough to understand the role his other skills suit best.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

As others have mentioned the QO was a big factor, I also feel like they felt like Kleven was ready to make the step. Brannstrom may figure it out but he’s an offensive defensmen who doesn’t produce offense. He can aid in possession but he needs sheltered minutes. The metrics on the defensive side looks good though he’s barely been tested defensively. He was starting to look more comfortable defensively but has his limitations on that side of things.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Brannstrom had a breif stint in Abbotsford before Canucks recalled him and utterly dominated there - so there is that. You wonder if Canucks defense can go with both Brannstrom and Hughes. Really same type of player although Hughes is a lot better.
An appropriately paid OEL

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Aves for some reason kept Kylington over this guy. There's a reason the Aves only have an OT win vs Anaheim this season. And they don't own their first round pick.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Some guys just need a good fit.

I don’t think Brannstrom will ever be more than a 6/7 type and he will not be playable in the playoffs but all the Canucks needed was a depth guy.

He certainly sucked in his audition for the Avs so I think both sides can be happy with this deal, which won’t matter very much for either franchise at the end of the day.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
And what Canucks fans haven't even seen yet is that he's the type of guy you just want to pull for, earns a spot in your heart type. Works hard, takes a licking but keeps ticking, good teammate, likeable humble guy, grinds out his career.

Really hope he works out, he deserves it for what the fans and provious management put him through in Ottawa.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Interesting. Similar development path? Needed to accept he’s a defensive D man first and a guy who gets involved offensively second? When a guy skates as well as Branstrom, he can be a player if he’s smart enough to understand the role his other skills suit best.
I’m not expecting it, I’m just hoping lol

Reactions: Fatass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad