Confirmed Trade: [VAN/COL] Tucker Poolman (20% retained) and 2025 4th round pick for D Erik Brannstrom

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Netherlands
Poolman only played around 40 games or so and had little effect while on the Nucks blueline.

Post concussion syndrome brought an early end to Tucker Poolman’s career.

LTIRetired a.k.a. Robidas Island.
Yes, I know. My initial post was asking whether partially insured contacts are common. I've only before seen insured contacts, or not.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Great move by Alvin. Pay a little upfront to create flexibility for his own moves moving forward.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Weird junk swap. But seems like it works for both teams. Win-Win. Or like...No Loss deal. :dunno:

Avs were presumably just going to waive Brannstrom anyway...but this saves them his $900k salary since he'd likely go unclaimed (though if Poolman's deal isn't fully insured, that's a bigger salary out of pocket, but i'm sure owners are fine with that since...It also nets them a "free" draft pick. Also gives them extra LTIR to operate in when they need it later when other guys are back. And if you're a contending team owner these days, you pretty much have to be okay with signing cheques to screw around with LTIR and operate with a payroll well above the salary cap.

Canucks get themselves out of LTIR, and can just immediately waive Brannstrom...hope he's claimed, but worst case, they just completely bury him and can start to operate outside of LTIR. Which is very important to their deadline flexibility.

So everyone kinda swaps their trash and sets up their cap situation better for what they need out of it. Good deal i guess...even if it's really just paper shuffling since neither of these players are likely to play for their new organization. :laugh:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I don't get it for Canucks. they said "we freed up cap room" but wasn't Poolman already on LTIR so his cap didn't count towards our cap? confusing.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I don't get it for Canucks. they said "we freed up cap room" but wasn't Poolman already on LTIR so his cap didn't count towards our cap? confusing.

When teams use LTIR, they don't accrue cap space over the course of the year. When a team is cap compliant, their cap is reduced by 1/200th (or however many days are in the regular season) every day. Because the Canucks are under the cap, they'll bank another 2-3m~ in cap space between now and the trade deadline.

That accrual doesn't happen on days where a team is using LTIR.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I originally read this as "Canucks get Brunnstrom" and I'm like why are we getting some failed 39 year old forward? Than I realize I am old as f*** and I should get new glasses.

Hey now...the Fabian Brunnstrom sweepstakes were no joke. :laugh:

Reactions: Bubbles

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Nah, he can't handle an NHL forecheque and panics all the time with the puck. If he couldn't survive in a superior defensive core in Colorado, there's no way he's going to survive in an inferior defensive core in Vancouver.

Brah, the two million doesn't count against the cap when its put on LTIR blud. This ain't rocket science.
Brah, canucks get to clear 2 mil in cap spacw which means they can aquire a 6 mil player at TDL "brah"

Reactions: nucks88

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Teams should be able to put their fans on waivers or LTIR to give them a crash course on how the salary cap works.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fatass

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004

You can't accrue capspace if you're on LTIR. They get 1/200th of the salary from the first day of the regular season to the trade deadline.

Canucks could potentially aquire a $6 million dollar player at the deadline if they stay cap compliant.

This move is genius by Allvin because he doesn't have to LTIR Poolman anymore to be under the salary cap.

Reactions: Fatass

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Brannstrom placed on waivers Avs have the chance to do something really funny
They traded him so they dont have to be the ones to pay him $900k to play in the AHL. Clearly they were very unimpressed with him in preseason and won't want him back

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Assuming Poolman’s contract is insured, he’s owed $600k this season post-insurance.

The going rate to dump $600k is in the late 3rd to mid 4th round pick range. With Vancouver retaining 20% that brings the real dollars down to $480k, clear 4th round pick range.

Colorado added in Brannstrom’s $900k one-way contract. Everyone can make their own decision, but my impression is he’s viewed negatively this preseason. With Poolman’s $480k addition and Brannstrom’s $900k subtraction Vegas is saving $420k in real dollars while adding a 4th round pick.

Seems like great value for Colorado if they dislike Brannstrom that much.

Also a relatively cheap out for Vancouver to clear cap space, even if they end up burying Brannstrom. Would be a net gain of +$300k real dollars for Vancouver.
Somehow Vegas always wins...

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Hey now...the Fabian Brunnstrom sweepstakes were no joke. :laugh:

If they had the same "social media" that they have now back then, that guy would have gone viral a million times. I remember myself he was so hyped and was going to be an instant star and Nonis had the inside edge of signing him before he got turfed. The hatty in his debut set the league on fire and he promptly disappeared a year or two later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad