Confirmed Trade: [VAN/COL] Tucker Poolman (20% retained) and 2025 4th round pick for D Erik Brannstrom

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Netherlands
Poolman only played around 40 games or so and had little effect while on the Nucks blueline.

Post concussion syndrome brought an early end to Tucker Poolman’s career.

LTIRetired a.k.a. Robidas Island.
Yes, I know. My initial post was asking whether partially insured contacts are common. I've only before seen insured contacts, or not.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Great move by Alvin. Pay a little upfront to create flexibility for his own moves moving forward.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Weird junk swap. But seems like it works for both teams. Win-Win. Or like...No Loss deal. :dunno:

Avs were presumably just going to waive Brannstrom anyway...but this saves them his $900k salary since he'd likely go unclaimed (though if Poolman's deal isn't fully insured, that's a bigger salary out of pocket, but i'm sure owners are fine with that since...It also nets them a "free" draft pick. Also gives them extra LTIR to operate in when they need it later when other guys are back. And if you're a contending team owner these days, you pretty much have to be okay with signing cheques to screw around with LTIR and operate with a payroll well above the salary cap.

Canucks get themselves out of LTIR, and can just immediately waive Brannstrom...hope he's claimed, but worst case, they just completely bury him and can start to operate outside of LTIR. Which is very important to their deadline flexibility.

So everyone kinda swaps their trash and sets up their cap situation better for what they need out of it. Good deal i guess...even if it's really just paper shuffling since neither of these players are likely to play for their new organization. :laugh:

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I originally read this as "Canucks get Brunnstrom" and I'm like why are we getting some failed 39 year old forward? Than I realize I am old as f*** and I should get new glasses.

Reactions: Vector

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I don't get it for Canucks. they said "we freed up cap room" but wasn't Poolman already on LTIR so his cap didn't count towards our cap? confusing.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I don't get it for Canucks. they said "we freed up cap room" but wasn't Poolman already on LTIR so his cap didn't count towards our cap? confusing.

When teams use LTIR, they don't accrue cap space over the course of the year. When a team is cap compliant, their cap is reduced by 1/200th (or however many days are in the regular season) every day. Because the Canucks are under the cap, they'll bank another 2-3m~ in cap space between now and the trade deadline.

That accrual doesn't happen on days where a team is using LTIR.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I originally read this as "Canucks get Brunnstrom" and I'm like why are we getting some failed 39 year old forward? Than I realize I am old as f*** and I should get new glasses.

Hey now...the Fabian Brunnstrom sweepstakes were no joke. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad