Confirmed with Link: VAN/COL Poolman (20% retained) + 2025 4th for Erik Brannstrom(Waived)

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Wow, once again Allvin continues to surprise me. Such a beneficial trade for the organization since that Poolman contract has been a thorn in the side ever since Benning signed the contract. That extra cap space will do wonders by the time the trade deadline hit.

Consider me happy, I'm cracking a beer.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
He was *fine* last year on a bad Ottawa team (bad goaltending causing more goals against).

He had 20 points with no PP time which would be 4th in dman points on this team and was positive in +/- on a -26 goal differential for the Sens. It's a fine flyer to take and adds depth to an important position.
He’s small and can’t play well if you get hemmed in the zone. He’s easy to box out and has a tough time in board battles. What he can do is transition the puck and that’s where he can have success on defense ie retrieving and getting the puck out before getting hemmed in. But you can’t be as bad he is in winning puck battles and in winning position battles.

Reactions: wetcoast

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
We're essentially waiting on the Klimovich contract to lapse (two more ****ing years) and then we're free and clear other than the several years of OEL penalty.
Yeah, they absolutely need to get beyond the OEL buyout penalty before I start thinking of them as clear of the Benning mess.

I really like the Poolman deal. It's exciting. It means we can anticipate something big before the deadline, and it also means plenty of entertainment through the season as we track management's handling of the roster to maximize future cap space. (They had to get this done in order to take full advantage of the proximity of the AHL team.)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This pretty much confirms 100% we’re making a significant deal at the deadline, so the real question is who might be available, let’s put our trading hats on and try to figure this out shall we!

Reactions: David71 and bh53

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
vcr is already taken as shorthand for video cassete recorder for olds like me. i prefer yvr or van.

While I agree that "VCR" is a dumb shortened version of Vancouver, I think the day I'm on a hockey forum like "Brannstrom got traded to my TV?? Huh???" is the day I go in for an assessment.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So with a 23/23 roster and assuming Bains is sent down, the Canucks will have 0.48m in cap space to start the season. Since Raty isn't eligible for waivers, they can toll daily capspace but sending him to Abbotsford. With Raty in Abbotsford, that increases cap space to 1.31m which allows for significant accrual on those days.

With everyone healthy and Silovs & Raty in the AHL, that puts the Canucks at 2.165m.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Solid work. Canucks dump most of Poolman's salary while improving their left D depth which was a weakness. Canucks now have a credible puck mover for their bottom pairing should they struggle in that area. Having him in Abbotsford to start the season gives him the chance to learn the Canucks' system.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Given the Canucks schedule, the Canucks can actually start with over 2m in capspace. First day of the regular season is on Tuesday. Canucks can leave Demko as active and start Silovs & Raty in the AHL. On Wednesday, place Demko on IR and recall Silovs and Raty. Send down Raty the next day. Recall him for Friday. Then send him down for the three day break before the road trip. Won't be able to play this game during the 8 day road trip but have a 10 day home stand immediately afterward where they can accrue extra space on 7 of those days. Follow that up with a 7 day road trip then a 15 day homestand with 9 off-days.

If the roster can remain healthy for this time they'll actually do pretty well on capspace accrual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad