Proposal: VAN + BUF

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
To Vancouver: Eichel

To Buffalo: 2022 1st, Pettersson, Holtby, Eriksson (bought out)

Vancouver get arguably the better player, while dumping the final years of Eriksson's and Holtby's contract

Buffalo get an offensively gifted young C to replace Eichel, an unprotected 1st in 2022, and a veteran goaltender to mentor UPL next season. If Pettersson and Dahlin are friends, it may help ensure the two countrymen spend the bulk of their careers together in Buffalo

Last edited:

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
tenor.gif

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Replace Reinhart with someone else, maybe Olofsson. Just not Sam.

Reinhart has finally been allowed to show what he can do at center. I would want to keep Sam if trading Jack.

Pettersson is one of the few young players in the league I'd be comfortable with as an Eichel return.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020

Reinhart has finally been allowed to show what he can do at center. I would want to keep Sam if trading Jack.

Pettersson is one of the few young players in the league I'd be comfortable with as an Eichel return.

I didn't realize Reinhart was back to playing center and was excelling in that role...

I'll edit the proposal

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I don't see how this value lines up....

I'd rather have Eichel than Pettersson. I'd rather have Reinhart than the 1st.

Then you throw in two small value pieces and the Eriksson contract. Maybe even each other out to net zero value?

Edit: Sorry, just saw you said you'd edit the proposal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I don't think either team does it, but I feel like Eichel for Petterson is fairly close in terms of value. Everything else is noise on the side.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I don't see how this value lines up....

I'd rather have Eichel than Petterson. I'd rather have Reinhart than the 1st.

Then you throw in two small value pieces and the Eriksson contract. Maybe even each other out to net zero value?

Edit: Sorry, just saw you said you'd edit the proposal.

You'd rather have Eichel, as I think most would, however, is their value considerably different?

Eichel is averaging 0.95 PPG for his career, while EP sits at 0.93

Also, Eichel has 5 more years until UFA at 10 million per season

EP might sign for 8 years at 8 or 9 million per season

And the pick vs Reinhart debate depends on where that pick ends up, I would think...

I think most would take a top 5 pick over Reinhart at this point

On the flip side, I don't consider Holtby a value piece... he's an overpriced backup, however, as I said in the OP, he can play the role of mentor for a year in Buffalo

Last edited:

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I wouldn't trade Pettersson straight up for Eichel.

Btw Pettersson is excellent defensively, he isn't just offensively gifted.

Reactions: gianni

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I wouldn't trade Pettersson straight up for Eichel.

Btw Pettersson is excellent defensively, he isn't just offensively gifted.

There's certainly an argument to be made for that, however, I think most believe Eichel has more upside

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
You'd rather have Eichel, as I think most would, however, is their value considerably different?

Eichel is averaging 0.95 PPG for his career, while EP sits at 0.93

Also, Eichel has 5 more years until UFA at 10 million per season

EP might sign for 8 years at 8 or 9 million per season

And the pick vs Reinhart debate depends on where that pick ends up, I would think...

I think most would take a top 5 pick over Reinhart at this point

On the flip side, I don't consider Holtby a value piece at this point... he's an overpriced backup, however, as I said in the OP, he can play the role of mentor for a year in Buffalo

Why would career stats matter? Just because Eichel was not as good of a player as a rookie, doesn't mean his value should be a .95ppg player now.

As far as Eichel goes, whatever, I just disagree. He was on pace for 94 points in an 82 game season last year, and completely evolved defensively into much more of a 2-way player. Maybe Petterson gets there. Maybe he doesn't. But he's not to that level right now. Also, it's pretty strange to value contracts on what you think somebody "might" sign. I don't see Pettersson signing an 8x8 contract at all. And if he did? Don't you think that's a sign he's probably a lower level player?

Reinhart is on pace for 37 goals this year....and is back to thriving as a 2-way center. Why tf would I want a top 5 pick (which unlikely to be a top 5 pick btw) over that? Since he's moved to center, 16GP 10G 15PTS. In addition, he consistently raises the play of everybody he plays with.

The rest is negative value for the Sabres. I don't think we're going to agree here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unbiased Fan

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Why would Buffalo ever do this? Eichel is a much better player than Peterson currently and Pettersson has cap dumps attached to him in this trade.

Take off Holtby and Eriksson and its a lot closer
Buffalo takes this and runs. I don't think too many teams are offering up potential lottery picks on top of their franchise player for Eichel right now. When the inevitable trade request becomes public, no player of Pettersson's caliber is going to even be on the table

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Buffalo takes this and runs. I don't think too many teams are offering up potential lottery picks on top of their franchise player for Eichel right now. When the inevitable trade request becomes public, no player of Pettersson's caliber is going to even be on the table

I made it a 2022 pick thinking Vancouver likely won't be as bad next season, so while the pick could be in the lottery, the hope from Vancouver's side is that it won't

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Other than the other junk in deal. Yech. Why is Buffalo signing up for a $4.875 M cap dump? Frankly Holtby is a cap dump too at $4.3 M too. And Pettersson isn't even signed long term, so we get four controlled years at we don't know what hit. We have five years of Eichel at a decent $10 M. That number one pick would have to be a top 3.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I doubt this pick will be a lottery pick, Vancouver still has a lot of games to play.

I don't know if thats true, Eichel even with a public trade request could land a very high end young player

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I made it a 2022 pick thinking Vancouver likely won't be as bad next season, so while the pick could be in the lottery, the hope from Vancouver's side is that it won't

to even start Eriksson isn’t part of it. No f***ing cap dumps coming to buffalo

to srart it has to be Vancouver’s 1st thus year and Petersen++

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad