Proposal: VAN + BUF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
to even start Eriksson isn’t part of it. No f***ing cap dumps coming to buffalo

to srart it has to be Vancouver’s 1st thus year and Petersen++

I wouldn't consider that from Vancouver's side...

Nor do I think Buffalo would get that much in return for Eichel if he were traded

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019

Eriksson is an afterthought in this trade. Him being included shouldn't make or break a trade with this caliber of players

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

I wouldn't trade Petterson straight up for Eichel.

1st + Petterson ++ for Eichel is like me wanting Buf 1st + Dahlin++ for Quinn Hughes.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
What? I'd say upside is literally the main thing Pettersson has over Eichel right now.
Not if you consider the fact that he never had the pleasure to play for a good coach. Once he does, his value skyrockets.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I think a fair comparison between Pettersson and Eichel might be Gaudreau and P. Kane...

Eichel hasn't taken it to that next level yet the way Kane did - and who knows if he ever will? - but I think most believe he's more likely to than EP

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
You'd rather have Eichel, as I think most would, however, is their value considerably different?

Eichel is averaging 0.95 PPG for his career, while EP sits at 0.93

Also, Eichel has 5 more years until UFA at 10 million per season

EP might sign for 8 years at 8 or 9 million per season

And the pick vs Reinhart debate depends on where that pick ends up, I would think...

I think most would take a top 5 pick over Reinhart at this point

On the flip side, I don't consider Holtby a value piece... he's an overpriced backup, however, as I said in the OP, he can play the role of mentor for a year in Buffalo

Also worth noting is that Elias Pettersson has actually led his team to the playoffs, and produced. It's uncertain if Jack Eichel can do the same. A worry would be that he's grown accustomed to losing a la players on the pre-McDavid Oilers.

Why would Buffalo ever do this? Eichel is a much better player than Peterson currently and Pettersson has cap dumps attached to him in this trade.

Take off Holtby and Eriksson and its a lot closer

Because Elias Pettersson has led his team to the post-season/knows how to win. And don't say that the Canucks have a better roster b/c Sabres fans always claimed player X on the Canucks was inferior to player X on the Sabres. Haha

Why would career stats matter? Just because Eichel was not as good of a player as a rookie, doesn't mean his value should be a .95ppg player now.

As far as Eichel goes, whatever, I just disagree. He was on pace for 94 points in an 82 game season last year, and completely evolved defensively into much more of a 2-way player. Maybe Petterson gets there. Maybe he doesn't. But he's not to that level right now. Also, it's pretty strange to value contracts on what you think somebody "might" sign. I don't see Pettersson signing an 8x8 contract at all. And if he did? Don't you think that's a sign he's probably a lower level player?

Reinhart is on pace for 37 goals this year....and is back to thriving as a 2-way center. Why tf would I want a top 5 pick (which unlikely to be a top 5 pick btw) over that? Since he's moved to center, 16GP 10G 15PTS. In addition, he consistently raises the play of everybody he plays with.

The rest is negative value for the Sabres. I don't think we're going to agree here.

If you don't want to include his rookie season stats, then go by his current season where he only has two goals.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
"If you don't want to include his rookie season stats, then go by his current season where he only has two goals"

You do realize Eichel played injured every shift he played this year, and also hasn't played in a month? Not playing sometimes tends to drag down the goal total.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
If you don't want to include his rookie season stats, then go by his current season where he only has two goals.

What a genius idea. Let’s solely rely on the season where he played 21 total games with herniated disk in his neck....

And he STILL outproduced Pettersson on a ppg basis with that herniated disk btw.

This is unreal why I’m being forced to talk down Pettersson. I like him a lot. I just don’t get how you could say he’s more valuable than Eichel.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Also worth noting is that Elias Pettersson has actually led his team to the playoffs, and produced. It's uncertain if Jack Eichel can do the same. A worry would be that he's grown accustomed to losing a la players on the pre-McDavid Oilers.

Because Elias Pettersson has led his team to the post-season/knows how to win. And don't say that the Canucks have a better roster b/c Sabres fans always claimed player X on the Canucks was inferior to player X on the Sabres. Haha

Miller, not EP, lead the Canucks in scoring last season, so to say that "Pettersson lead his team to the playoffs" doesn't seem quite accurate...

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I will claim that.

Canucks minus Peterson are a lot better than the Sabres minus Eichel

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Buffalo takes this and runs. I don't think too many teams are offering up potential lottery picks on top of their franchise player for Eichel right now. When the inevitable trade request becomes public, no player of Pettersson's caliber is going to even be on the table

Yep. It sucks as I have a soft spot for Buffalo being expansion cousins and all but they would never get another (if currently a tier below) franchise player offered when Eichel asks to be moved. It’s when…not if, and again that sucks.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
To Vancouver: Eichel

To Buffalo: 2022 1st, Pettersson, Holtby, Eriksson (bought out)

Vancouver get arguably the better player, while dumping the final years of Eriksson's and Holtby's contract

Buffalo get an offensively gifted young C to replace Eichel, an unprotected 1st in 2022, and a veteran goaltender to mentor UPL next season. If Pettersson and Dahlin are friends, it may help ensure the two countrymen spend the bulk of their careers together in Buffalo

Wouldnt even trade EP straight up for Eichel lmao

Dietpepsi

Jun 27, 2015
I think the cap dump goes on the other side.

More like :
To Van : Eichel, Oposo
To Buff: Petterson, 2022 1st, 2023 1st

Much closer

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I think the cap dump goes on the other side.

More like :
To Van : Eichel, Oposo
To Buff: Petterson, 2022 1st, 2023 1st

Much closer

So we get $16 million in cap, AND Vancouver gives up 2 firsts.
Elias Pettersson has 0.93 points/ game over two seasons, is +19 (take +/- for what it's worth) and plays 19 minutes a night as Vancouver's first line center, while still on his ELC.
Jack Eichel has 0.95 points/ game over five seasons, is -69 (again some will dispute about +/- but take it for what it's worth) and averages 20 minutes a night as Buffalo's first line center and captain, while earning $10 million a season.

In what world, metric or notion of hockey achievement or potential would the difference in value between these two be so big that Kyle Okposo goes to Vancouver, while TWO firsts go to Buffalo???

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
What a genius idea. Let’s solely rely on the season where he played 21 total games with herniated disk in his neck....

And he STILL outproduced Pettersson on a ppg basis with that herniated disk btw.

This is unreal why I’m being forced to talk down Pettersson. I like him a lot. I just don’t get how you could say he’s more valuable than Eichel.

Better to rely on his current performance and health situation than soley handpicking his best season to reflect his value. Not everyone recovers 100% from a herniated disc btw, his current play could be him giving his all. No guarantee his health improves.

Miller, not EP, lead the Canucks in scoring last season, so to say that "Pettersson lead his team to the playoffs" doesn't seem quite accurate...

6pts more. Big whoop. Elias Pettersson is the face of the franchise and is worth multiple JT Millers.

But if you really feel that way, I'd gladly discuss, JT Miller for Jack Eichel

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
So we get $16 million in cap, AND Vancouver gives up 2 firsts.
Elias Pettersson has 0.93 points/ game over two seasons, is +19 (take +/- for what it's worth) and plays 19 minutes a night as Vancouver's first line center, while still on his ELC.
Jack Eichel has 0.95 points/ game over five seasons, is -69 (again some will dispute about +/- but take it for what it's worth) and averages 20 minutes a night as Buffalo's first line center and captain, while earning $10 million a season.

In what world, metric or notion of hockey achievement or potential would the difference in value between these two be so big that Kyle Okposo goes to Vancouver, while TWO firsts go to Buffalo???

Why not use the same amount of seasons to compare Eichel and Pettersson's scoring? Could that be because Eichel blows Pettersson out of the water if you compare them fairly?

Also, there's no dispute about the value of +/-: it has none.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad