Raptors Discussion: V62 0 Round 2 (Post Season Play Discussion)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I do agree with Delon getting time. I think his length can be beneficial to Toronto.
As for James Johnson, nah he's too loose with the ball, not as good defensive as advertised and doesn't pass if he gets the ball.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Jason Thompson getting some minutes in the backup spot behind Biz. TBH I was suprosed Bebe got game time and Thompson didn't.

Toronto keeps finding ways to lose games, I have never seen a team chough up leads like Toronto does. I have also never seen a team shoot as poorly over whole quarters and half's as much as Toronto does in the playoffs.

I have no idea why we have Thompson if we're nit going to play him. Bebe is not ready. He got destroyed in game 4. I just think sometimes Casey and the staff are over thinking things. With JV out Thompson or JJ should be BB's back-up...not a raw rookie.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
rapsheat-preview-game5-web.jpg

Game 5 Preview: Raptors vs. Heat
Posted: May 11, 2016

Holly MacKenzie - Raptors.com

Series: Tied 2-2

The Raptors are back in Toronto after dropping a disappointing 94-87 overtime loss in Miami, allowing the Heat to tie up the series at two games apiece. With the best of seven series essentially a best of three now, Toronto hopes to take advantage of homecourt in Game 5 at the Air Canada Centre on Wednesday night.

Tip-off: 8 P.M. ET

Broadcast Info: TSN, TNT, SN590

Ford Fanzone open: 6 P.M. ET

Pregame Show: 6:30 P.M. ET on NBATV Canada

projectedlineups-051116.jpg

LESSONS LEARNED

Closing quarters/games properly:

The Raptors held a nine-point fourth quarter lead in Game 4, before allowing Dwyane Wade to will the Heat all the way back and then force overtime. With an opportunity to close the game out in regulation, Toronto was unable to score. In the extra session, the Raptors were outscored 11-4 by the Heat, and turned the ball over five times while Miami didn’t have a single turnover. There isn't room for costly turnovers in a series that’s had three of the first four games go into overtime.

By committee

With Jonas Valanciunas out and DeMar DeRozan dealing with a sore thumb that was hurt in Game 1, the Raptors have needed efforts from everyone on the roster. Bismack Biyombo put in a solid effort starting in place of Valanciunas in Game 4, finishing with a 13-point, 13-rebound double-double in 31 minutes, while the reserves helped the Raptors come back from a nine-point halftime deficit to build a lead in the third quarter.

"That's a positive,†Dwane Casey said. “It's so easy to look at the negatives and the struggles that DeMar and Kyle are having, which is easy to see, but the positive is the fact that guys like Pat, guys like Cory, have stepped up and played extremely well for us in light of the shooting woes of DeMar and Kyle. That's why you have a 15-man roster.â€

GAME 5 TALKING POINTS

Playing big even if playing small

With Jonas Valanciunas and Hassan Whiteside both out for Game 5, it’s unknown whether Raptors head coach Dwane Casey will elect to go with a smaller lineup against the Heat as he did down the stretch in Game 4. If he does, despite the lack of size, the Raptors will need to guard against the Heat getting offensive rebounds for extra opportunities, as well as try to defend the paint. Miami scored 94 points in Game 4 with 54 coming from the paint.

“It's going to be different storylines each night, different ways trying to win, a different way to try to find offence, and most of all, a different way of trying to keep the ball in front of us on the perimeter,†Casey said. “I thought that our biggest nemesis [was] containing the basketball.â€

Keeping Lowry on the floor

Although Kyle Lowry has had an up and down postseason with respect to shooting the basketball, his presence and impact when he’s on the court is undeniable. After the bench and DeMarre Carroll had put together a strong third quarter effort with Lowry glued to the bench after picking up his fourth foul, the team needed its floor leader to close out the game.

With the Heat continuing to creep closer, erasing Toronto’s nine-point fourth quarter advantage, Lowry kept finding ways to keep the team in front. When he fouled out with 1:58 remaining and the lead down to two, the team missed his playmaking, as well as all of the intangible things he does that lead to extra possessions, free throws, or making something out of nothing when a play gets broken. Staying out of foul trouble so he’s able to be on the court for the finish will be a focus for Lowry in Game 5.

Despite the letdown in Miami, the team is pleased to be returning home as they hope to take a 3-2 series lead.

“Throughout the year, I’ve tried to keep our team to where you don’t panic,†Casey said. “It’s not the end of the world when you lose a game. That’s the mentality you’ve got to go through. This is going to be a very competitive series.â€

Game 5 preview: Miami Heat at Toronto Raptors

The Heat and Raptors are one extra session away from tying the record for the most overtime games in a series.

By Chris O’LearySports Reporter
Tues., May 10, 2016

Tipoff: 8 p.m.

TV: TSN

Radio: Sportsnet 590

Probable starters

Toronto: Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, DeMarre Carroll, Patrick Patterson, Bismack Biyombo.

Miami: Goran Dragic, Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Luol Deng, Amar’e Stoudemire.

Key matchup DeMarre Carroll vs. Dwyane Wade. It will fall to Carroll to try and slow Wade, who had 30 points in Miami’s Game 4 win and is averaging 27 points per game in the series. Of Miami’s 94 points in Game 4, Wade, Joe Johnson and Goran Dragic (15 each) accounted for 60 of them. Keeping Wade in check — a historically challenging task — will be crucial to the Raptors taking Game 5.

Need to know:Hassan Whiteside, listed day to day with a MCL injury to his right knee, didn’t travel to Toronto for Game 5 . . . The last time a playoff series went into overtime in three of its first four games was in 2014, when Houston faced Portland and when Oklahoma City played Memphis. The Heat and Raptors are one extra session away from tying the record for the most in a series. OKC and Memphis had four in their series, as did Boston and Chicago in 2008 . . . Jonas Valanciunas’s absence was notable in Game 4. Miami scored 54 points in the paint; the most the Raptors have allowed in the playoffs since they gave up 56 against New Jersey in 2007.

Up next: Game 6, Friday in Miami, 8 p.m.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
If your elbow is hurt and it's ruining your shot, why the **** are you taking north of 6 three pointers a game???

I don't know? The 3 ball isn't the problem though. Aside from D Wade, Miami hasn't shot the 3 very well either. They're driving the ball inside and getting high % looks almost at will... I'm with you in that they've gotta stop taking jumpers and drive the lane. Raptors lack of size has been exposed. Especially on the wings when Miami has Winslow and Richardson who are both 6'6 and good defenders. They've been the biggest reason Powell and Joseph haven't got many looks. Richardson has done a good job on Lowry especially.

I'm not a doctor, just in agreement with several reports that suggest the elbow is worse then they've let on.

Really hope JJ gets some minutes tonigh. He can defend Johnson and Deng down low and if he plays within his limitations could be very useful off the bench.

Last edited:

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't think any sane person could give DD a max contract this off-season... but there will probably be at least one crazy GM willing to do it.

I'd be hesitant to sign him at significantly less than the max at this point (say, $ 20 million per).

----

This has to be the most frustrating to watch "successful" post season run of all time.

One bright spot: Carroll has been fantastic so far, imo. I was worried about his contract with the injuries, but I have no complaints at all right now.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think any sane person could give DD a max contract this off-season... but there will probably be at least one crazy GM willing to do it.

I'd be hesitant to sign him at significantly less than the max at this point (say, $ 20 million per).

----

This has to be the most frustrating to watch "successful" post season run of all time.

One bright spot: Carroll has been fantastic so far, imo. I was worried about his contract with the injuries, but I have no complaints at all right now.

It's weird because this team finally won a round so we should be happy, right? But this team could be so much better, it just leaves you frustrated. Every game has been so painful to watch.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
This isn't directed to you but I am glad you brought it up. Why does Lowry seem to get treated as he can do no wrong, people want DeRozan out of town but Lowry can stay because......

Lowry is on a sweetheart deal, whereas DD will be massively overpaid this off-season.

Lowry has also been the better player, at least throughout the regular season.

It could very well make sense to trade Lowry this off-season though, if we could get good value.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Lowry is on a sweetheart deal, whereas DD will be massively overpaid this off-season.

Lowry has also been the better player, at least throughout the regular season.

It could very well make sense to trade Lowry this off-season though, if we could get good value.

The cap is rising as it is and you won't find better than DeRozan. He's one of the best at his position in the east after Jimmy Butler and you could probably state a case where DeRozan is the best.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The way Demar has been playing, benching him would be addition by subtraction. He has literally been our worst rotation player, and he is a liability.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
The cap is rising as it is and you won't find better than DeRozan. He's one of the best at his position in the east after Jimmy Butler and you could probably state a case where DeRozan is the best.

Both Lowry & DD were all-stars, so they both were considered two of the best at their positions in the East.

Unfortunately, if you want to win in the NBA, you need your best players to be at another level than DD & Lowry. That is, unless you have Gregg Popovich as your head coach.

The Raptors will never land a free agent of that caliber, except perhaps for Wiggins in a few years - the only way we can get one is through the draft.

Masai needs to make a decision, imo: are we content to make the playoffs every year for the next couple of years, but never really challenge for a title?

It's an especially tough choice given the Raptors history of mediocrity, wherein this mild success is the pinnacle of the organization's history.

Last edited:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The way Demar has been playing, benching him would be addition by subtraction. He has literally been our worst rotation player, and he is a liability.

If you benched DeRozan the Raptors would lose the next 2 games by 15+ each. People are failing to account for that DeRozan is still a threat out there. So you want to start

Lowry
Powell
Carroll
Patterson
Biyombo

yep that would win you 2 of the next 3.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

You could try, but Butler is head and shoulders better. He can play and defend 1-3, better handles and playmaking and has far better range with his jumper.

Derozan is overrated. He's not as bad as he's playing now, but he's not a top tier player either. He's a fringe all star at a position that's as weak as its been in years.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Both Lowry & DD were all-stars, so they both were considered two of the best at their positions in the East.

Unfortunately, if you want to win in the NBA, you need your best players to be at another level than DD & Lowry. That is, unless you have Gregg Popovich as your head coach.

The Raptors will never land a free agent of that caliber, except perhaps for Wiggins in a few years - the only way we can get one is through the draft.

Masai needs to make a decision, imo: are we content to make the playoffs every year for the next couple of years, but never really challenge for a title?

It's an especially tough choice given the Raptors history of mediocrity, wherein this mild success is the pinnacle of the organization's history.

Issue is the NBA draft can be such a crapshoot, unlike the NHL where almost every draft holds at least a core piece. some NBA drafts will give you not much more than a depth player(i.e Anthony Bennets draft)

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I usually feel excited for playoff games .. not excited today tho
We need JV back so bad

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Butler is much better than DD.

I don't think DD will ever be the difference between making the playoffs and a title.

You could try, but Butler is head and shoulders better. He can play and defend 1-3, better handles and playmaking and has far better range with his jumper.

Derozan is overrated. He's not as bad as he's playing now, but he's not a top tier player either. He's a fringe all star at a position that's as weak as its been in years.

Agree with all this.

BTW, fantastic game last night. Watching two good teams like OKC and SA go at it is just wow, so different from watching the Raptors play. Maybe some day we'll have a team like that.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
If you benched DeRozan the Raptors would lose the next 2 games by 15+ each. People are failing to account for that DeRozan is still a threat out there. So you want to start

Lowry
Powell
Carroll
Patterson
Biyombo

yep that would win you 2 of the next 3.

You really think that? Everytime DeRozan has been benched we were actually able to score and went on runs. We would probably win by 15+ points if he didn't start. How is he still a threat? What has he done these playoffs for you to say he's a threat?

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't think DD will ever be the difference between making the playoffs and a title.

That's the point - we can keep building around Lowry & DD who aren't good enough to be top players on a championship team, or start a rebuild which may not work out for years.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's the point - we can keep building around Lowry & DD who aren't good enough to be top players on a championship, or start a rebuild which may not work out for years.

I wouldn't start a rebuild, I'd rather build around JV who seems to be becoming a monster. Let DD walk, the team won't be much worse without him IMO. Then get a who can implement a new philosophy - utilize JV a LOT more, emphasize ball movement and whoever is open, takes the shot.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
That's the point - we can keep building around Lowry & DD who aren't good enough to be top players on a championship, or start a rebuild which may not work out for years.

I don't think going full on tank is the answer. You have to get lucky too. GSW is one team that got lucky. Curry could have turned out to be another Demar DeRozan. He was picked somewhere around 7th or 8th (just like DD). Did they know that he would be a back-to-back MVP? No. Make some astute trades, a smart FA signing(or 2), keep on making the team better. Tanking in the NBA is completely pointless. You would be looking at being at the bottom for years.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
This isn't directed to you but I am glad you brought it up. Why does Lowry seem to get treated as he can do no wrong, people want DeRozan out of town but Lowry can stay because......

Because DeRozan provides zero value to this team when he can't score, and negative value when he's so bad the other team doesn't even need to guard him from 20 feet.

Lowry at least is still a plus defender and can handle the ball.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You really think that? Everytime DeRozan has been benched we were actually able to score and went on runs. We would probably win by 15+ points if he didn't start. How is he still a threat? What has he done these playoffs for you to say he's a threat?

If you bench DeRozan you would see the opposition throw 2 defenders at Lowry all the time. Your options off double teams would be a rookie in Powell, an inconsistent Carroll, a pick n pop Patterson and Biyombo who still has problems setting screens.

Who's going to take shots if DeRozan isn't in the lineup? You want Powell taking 14 shots per game? I understand the DeRozan dislike but to say he should be benched is a hot take and should only be read through a flame Pejorative Slurant mask in Antarctica. It's easy to say bench DeRozan but how do you attack Miami then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad