Raptors Discussion: V62 0 Round 2 (Post Season Play Discussion)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I would rather have Powell, Carroll or Joseph take shots at this point. It would be great if DeMar was actually attacking, but he's just pulling up and taking sub-optimal jumpers anyways. He's literally Terrance Ross that can't shoot right now.

I mean, DeRozan is historically bad right now.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
If you bench DeRozan you would see the opposition throw 2 defenders at Lowry all the time. Your options off double teams would be a rookie in Powell, an inconsistent Carroll, a pick n pop Patterson and Biyombo who still has problems setting screens.

Who's going to take shots if DeRozan isn't in the lineup? You want Powell taking 14 shots per game? I understand the DeRozan dislike but to say he should be benched is a hot take and should only be read through a flame Pejorative Slurant mask in Antarctica. It's easy to say bench DeRozan but how do you attack Miami then?

Move the ball around until someone, anyone, gets an open look from their range.

I don't think DD should be benched, but he should be on a much shorter leash. I'm so sick of watching him take bad shot after bad shot.

Casey needs to be more willing to adjust (like he did when he took DD out in the 4th quarter). It was so obvious what we needed to do before JV went down - give some of DD & Lowry's looks to him, but Casey refused to stop feeding "his guys" even though they were struggling.

Last edited:

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If you bench DeRozan you would see the opposition throw 2 defenders at Lowry all the time. Your options off double teams would be a rookie in Powell, an inconsistent Carroll, a pick n pop Patterson and Biyombo who still has problems setting screens.

Who's going to take shots if DeRozan isn't in the lineup? You want Powell taking 14 shots per game? I understand the DeRozan dislike but to say he should be benched is a hot take and should only be read through a flame Pejorative Slurant mask in Antarctica. It's easy to say bench DeRozan but how do you attack Miami then?

Not the greatest idea to double team the worst shooter on the floor though. That could probably help the Raps out as it gives them an unguarded option who isn't very good at creating an open shot to begin with.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Married to the Knicks Pick

According to espn we can't participate in the Lottery, we stay at 9 no matter what. Why is that, good or bad.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Raps have the Nuggets pick, and no, that's false. They may not be able to win the lottery, but they still have about a 7% chance of getting a top 3 pick.

They could finish 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 10th, or 11th with the pick they currently own. If the Nuggets win the lottery (1.9%) then the Raps get the Knicks pick (7th, would drop to 8th or 9th unless they enter the top 3 as well).

Basically there's like an 80% chance we stay at 9 and a 10% chance we drop to 10 or 11.

Here's an example of both magically landing in the top 3.

e082a2bcbcd45302953a2a0f63fca297.png

Last edited:

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
The Raptors will never land a free agent of that caliber, except perhaps for Wiggins in a few years - the only way we can get one is through the draft.

He's under Minnesota control for more than just a few more years.

I'm confident to see what Masai can do with a top 9 pick.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Not the greatest idea to double team the worst shooter on the floor though. That could probably help the Raps out as it gives them an unguarded option who isn't very good at creating an open shot to begin with.

Well Lowry is the only facilitator. If you take the ball out of his hands and force others to make decisions (Biyombo-Patterson-Powell-Carroll all have poor assist to turnover ratios)

This is my point though none of the others can create shots for others or for themselves yet some think benching DeRozan is the answer? Funny late in game 4 DeRozan was on the bench with a 9 point lead and the offense dried up, don't think it's a coincidence.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Well Lowry is the only facilitator. If you take the ball out of his hands and force others to make decisions (Biyombo-Patterson-Powell-Carroll all have poor assist to turnover ratios)

This is my point though none of the others can create shots for others or for themselves yet some think benching DeRozan is the answer? Funny late in game 4 DeRozan was on the bench with a 9 point lead and the offense dried up, don't think it's a coincidence.

They made one shot on four possessions when DD came back on with two minutes left. He's been a net negative so far in this series (it was more pronounced in the Pacers series though).

I will say that the other options haven't been any better. Really outside of JV, Lowry, and to a lesser extent Carroll, nobody has done a good job in this series.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

That's the whole point isn't it? Give Lowry the ball, and if they gang up on him he finds the open man who takes the shot, easy game.

DD doesn't facilitate, he creates room for himself to take shots but he's been doing a lousy job of that these playoffs. I read somewhere that he's shooting way more long range jumpers than he was during the regular season, he's just been a total disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad