Confirmed with Link: Utah signs C Barrett Hayton to a 2-yr contract ($2.65M AAV)

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
BA said he saw Cooley skate recently and gave him rave reviews. Said something like he's a total different player, or something to that effect.
Colby Armstrong said the same on Spittin chiclets this week. Said Cooley is looking insane out there in Pitt.

One nice thing about relocating...players can reinvent themselves. I hope Hayton changes his jersey number - changes his karma/luck.
He could go back to 27 which he wore in the OHL and in his heroic team Canada performance as captain. I’m sure Teppo Numminen could not care less. Lol.

—-
I also hope Josh Doan goes with 19.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I agree...Doan should go to 19 and Hayton should adopt 27...funny thing in sports the number of players that are superstitious and having the right # does help

I remember some idiot in the playoffs against Michael Jordan said "45 isn't 23" and basically game over at that point.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Its a problem. We all know its a problem. We just are hoping you had an idea on an option and weren’t just complaining.
I have complained about our C situation like forever. I said our D was our weakest link last year and the way it looks BA has kind of addressed that with Sergachev and hopefully one of the kids jumping to the NHL in a year. BA is trying now with Inginla who hopefully can jump in year after next. This year the way it looks our C position will be a rinse and repeat.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Do you actually think Bill is purposely not wanting to get a 1c on this roster? They take time to develop. Cooley will be a 1c imo.
Stop putting words in my mouth. Everyone knows trading for a 1C is almost impossible. I would love for Cooley to be our 1C. It would make a world of difference of where Bear can play the other C's

Reactions: Prarievarg

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
BA said he saw Cooley skate recently and gave him rave reviews. Said something like he's a total different player, or something to that effect.
Probably just had some spinach, don't know why that hasn't caught on, after all these years!
1720714575514.png

It's up to Hayton now, no more excuses.
That's what you said last year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nah you're the one talking stupid. Saying another year of Schmalts and Keller wasted without a 1C. That was a stupid take...Good chance Schmaltz isn't even a part of the long-term plans anyways
By saying "wasted" I meant that with a better C they would be better. I thought Schmaltz would be long gone because of his salary, but that is probably not a concern now. Still high though.

Reactions: Half Clapper

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
By saying "wasted" I meant that with a better C they would be better. I thought Schmaltz would be long gone because of his salary, but that is probably not a concern now. Still high though.
I think Schmaltz is worth every penny he's getting. Of course I do seem to be the voice of the unpopular. :laugh:

Reactions: Prarievarg

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
$8.5mil. for a soft, one dimensional winger who is 87th. in scoring?
The Schmaltz cap hit is $5.85M, now that we're out of Coyote-land....we can start looking at cap hits vs actual dollars like nearly all teams do.

Some comparables from last season...these are wingers who had 60 or 61 points with their cap hit:

Schmaltz: $5.85M - 61 points
Conner: $7.142M- 61 points
Ehlers: $6.00M - 61 points
Vatrano: $3.65M - 60 points
Gaudreau: $9.75M - 60 points
Benn: $9.5M - 60 points

Some guys missed games, some guys had bad years....but this pure cap vs points and by this analysis the value of Schmaltz' contract is solid. @Coyotedroppings might be right in saying Schmaltz was worth every penny.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The Schmaltz cap hit is $5.85M, now that we're out of Coyote-land....we can start looking at cap hits vs actual dollars like nearly all teams do.

Some comparables from last season...these are wingers who had 60 or 61 points with their cap hit:

Some guys missed games, some guys had bad years....but this pure cap vs points and by this analysis the value of Schmaltz' contract is solid. @Coyotedroppings might be right in saying Schmaltz was worth every penny.

He’s worth it since he gets the most production out of that #9 guy.

Reactions: Heldig

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

The cap hit is the average over the length of the contract. Every team still has a budget regardless of the cap hit, and that is why you see the $'s staggered. It's a balancing act. Right now Schmaltz cap hit is great, actual dollars are not. It's how every you want to look at it I guess.

He’s worth it since he gets the most production out of that #9 guy.
Or is it the other way around?

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
Trade Hayton and the next three years first picks for a real center… problem solved.

Unbelievable people still believe in this disappointment.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

AJ171181

Sep 27, 2019
Bochum
Preferably to a 30 year old center with 1 year left to his contract? Thank god you are not the GM.
Some people want to win, you wont. No problem.
I think of you after his 5 goals in 60 games season.

Hayton has not big trade value, after next season wont have any value.

This franchise has the biggest Center problem in the NHL since >10 years+, time to solve it.

Last edited:

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Some people want to win, you wont. No problem.
I think of you after his 5 goals in 60 games season.

Hayton has not big trade value, after next season wont have any value.

This franchise has the biggest Center problem in the NHL since >10 years+, time to solve it.
This is shoot for the middle mentality. No interest in being a 1st round loser for some years and then starting over again. Do it right, stick to the plan. It’s the only way it works. Crazy to me the Coyotes fans, of all people, wouldn’t know this by now.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
This team will be hard to play against. Last season's team was a bubble team until the 0-February debacle which I blame it on news of relocation and a sense of betrayal. Now our defense has improved tremendously, still have the core forward group, and our 2 goalies will benefit with the new and improved defensive scheme.

Hayton is the biggest question mark, but the staff seems to still believe in him.

Stenlund and Cole signings have made UTAH's character makeup into what will be an unsuspecting perennial defensive powerhouse!

Reactions: Mosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad