Confirmed with Link: Utah signs C Barrett Hayton to a 2-yr contract ($2.65M AAV)

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
well, anyone's guess as to how many games he plays this next season? It's a shame, thought he was breaking through a year ago at this same time, but nope.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Full season and 20 goals. And Jakey says he was wrong and jumps on the wagon. Great signing just hopefully 2nd or 3rd center.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Perfect. Him signing was the only assurance needed for @Jakey53 to get a Hayton jersey :)
Not me, I don't buy jerseys, my wife has that honor in our household. I would take he CC away if she did buy a Hayton one:laugh:. I still remember when the Coyotes first moved here, we went to a practice and my wife wore her TGO's jersey. You should have seen the looks she got from some of the players. Looking back maybe it was her and not the jersey.:laugh:

Reactions: Mosby

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Hayden has been a disappointment perhaps the Arizona team turned him Pro 2-3 before he was "ready" Good Luck to Barrett hope he turns things around and becomes the player everyone envisioned him to be outta Junior ranks

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’m going to guess 81gp 52pts. ;)

OPTIMISM!!!
I remember back in the day when Blair MacDonald played alongside TGO and Kurri and almost hit 100pts., Glen Sather said a fire hydrant could score playing with those two. Same goes for Hayton if he plays with Keller and Schmaltz.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hayden has been a disappointment perhaps the Arizona team turned him Pro 2-3 before he was "ready" Good Luck to Barrett hope he turns things around and becomes the player everyone envisioned him to be outta Junior ranks
I think everyone, including me, envisioned a 5OA pick to be much better. That was not a very good draft year. Many teams screwed the pooch that draft.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I think everyone, including me, envisioned a 5OA pick to be much better. That was not a very good draft year. Many teams screwed the pooch that draft.
At least he had a decent to good year the season before(19 goals and 43 points) it was just disappointing to see him fall back last year and not play or produce much...but Armstrong has faith in him and awarded him a pretty decent NHL contract of over 2.6 M per/year for 2 seasons

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Truth. Q Hughes, Bouchard or Dobson would've been nice though. Makes me wonder who the current administration would've selected.

Kevin Bahl contributed to getting us 35 games of Taylor Hall but otherwise, Hayton & Sokolov are our only hopes of getting anything of value out of that draft.

McBain, Kesselring & Douglass will likely lead to more NHL games through acquisition than through drafting.

1720538558024.png

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
I think Jakey was right when, long ago, he pointed out Hayton spends a lot of time with his butt on the ice.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
I think Jakey was right when, long ago, he pointed out Hayton spends a lot of time with his butt on the ice.
Yeah...the biggest thing that Junior/NCAA players fail to realize is the amount of strength a player needs to compete in the NHL. Every player thinks they can avoid hits with their amazing skating ability and agility, and 99% of all those players end up with at least 20 games missed every year due to injury and their game just doesn't "translate" the same. If Hayton finally figures this out and can get a long period of sustained effort, the results should be there. His game suits the NHL, his frame/body does not (currently).

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Personally, I love watching the Gummy Bear play. Looking forward to seeing if he can add more points to his ability to piss off opponents and basically make himself into a human punching bag.

Reactions: gorsk11

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah...the biggest thing that Junior/NCAA players fail to realize is the amount of strength a player needs to compete in the NHL. Every player thinks they can avoid hits with their amazing skating ability and agility, and 99% of all those players end up with at least 20 games missed every year due to injury and their game just doesn't "translate" the same. If Hayton finally figures this out and can get a long period of sustained effort, the results should be there. His game suits the NHL, his frame/body does not (currently).
I disagree. His frame/body is definitely a NHL body. I have no idea why he is always on his ass, every shift.

I think this has changed a lot over the years and he’s a very solid, stout player now.
Very solid and stout, but still on his ass.

Reactions: LittlePipes

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If he spends too much time on his butt, it's because he's willing to go where many of our other forwards won't go. Taking some cross checks is the price he pays.
I disagree. Hayton is always on his ass. You blow on him and down he goes. I think his balance on his skates is not very good. He is still a valuable player, if he was playing where he belongs in the line up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It doesn't matter what any of us think of Hayton's play, he is here for two years on not a bad contract. His play rarely hurts the team and if settles in as a 2C or 3C is fine. What bothers me is that we are wasting Keller and Schmaltz by not getting them a 1C to play with. Another year of rinse and repeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad