Redo One Move From Your Team In The Last 20 Years

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Post lockout, you get one move to redo at any point, you can fire someone or not fire someone or trade someone or not trade for someone etc. What move would you redo?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
not firing lou. into the sun.
LOL why? Lou was completely lost and he decimated the roster before leaving.
Edit: I completely misunderstood the post, my bad.

Personally I'd say drafting Makar over Hischier or not sign the ridiculous Kovy contract.

Reactions: banks

Jixer19

Dec 19, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
Redo 2014 draft first round pick for the Avs and choose David Pastrnak (25th pick) over Conner Bleackley(23rd pick). One could only wish that happened, oh well

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Have Stan Bowman (Hawk capologist at the time) send out the qualifying offers before 7/1 rather than on 7/1.
The mistake forced the team to overpay several RFA’s to keep them from being granted UFA status.
It forced moving on from key players after the 2010 cup win. Without that snafu Chicago could have been a modern day dynasty.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I would have taken Matt Tkachuk over Jesse Pulujarvi in the draft. Even though he almost certainly would have asked for a trade by now like he did with Calgary, the return on that trade, whatever it was, would be more helpful to the franchise than JP ended up.

I almost said "not trade for Griffin Reinhart", but I wouldn't touch anything prior to the 2015 draft.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

This was just inside of the 20 year mark, but I don't know if it would have changed much. In August 2004, Scott Niedermayer got a one year contract via arbitration. According to this article, the Devils offered 5 years for 40 million but Niedermayer wanted 45.

One factor may have been the expiring CBA as nobody knew for sure if there'd be a cap and likely nobody anticipated the players taking the 24% rollback on existing deals.

After the lockout, the Devils offered Niedermayer a max AAV deal (7.8 million) but he took less to play with his brother in Anaheim.

Keeping Niedermayer likely meant Lou would avoid signing Vladimir Malakhov (3.6 million) and Dan McGillis (2.2 million). But perhaps there wouldn't have been room for Brian Rafalski either (4.2 million); Rafalski did the the team a big solid by waiting until Niedermayer made his decision.

Of all the draft picks, maybe the one Devils fans dwell on is Mattias Tedenby over local product John Carlson in 2008. Not sure if Carlson would have been enough of a difference maker in 2012.

And then one minor "what if" for me is that we had Anton Stralman as a PTO for the 2011 training camp as insurance in case Adam Larsson wasn't ready to make the jump. Larsson started off well but hit a rookie wall and didn't play much in the second half + playoffs. Journeyman Peter Harrold took a regular shift for us in the playoffs. I always wonder if Larsson would have benefited from another year of development and whether the difference between Harrold and Stralman would have been anything in the 2012 SCF.

One more hindsight decision that I would have considered was giving up the 2012 1st round pick (29th overall) as part of the Kovalchuk contract penalty. I wonder if Lou had an inkling that the league was going to alter the punishment as it ended up being that our 2014 1st got pushed down automatically to 30th. But as it was, the net result was Stefan Matteau + John Quenneville instead of the 11th overall pick in 2014. Then again our scouts weren't exactly knocking it out of the park, so who knows if we pick Kevin Fiala or Dylan Larkin and instead end up with Brendan Perlini or Jakub Vrana.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Parise and Suter contracts.

Didn't get us to at least the WCF and are still having to work around them today. Probably just best to not be very good for the 2013-16 drafts. Still have to pick the right guys though.

Reactions: The Pale King

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad