Redo One Move From Your Team In The Last 20 Years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McMoMoney29

Aug 18, 2014
I would have taken Matt Tkachuk over Jesse Pulujarvi in the draft. Even though he almost certainly would have asked for a trade by now like he did with Calgary, the return on that trade, whatever it was, would be more helpful to the franchise than JP ended up.

I almost said "not trade for Griffin Reinhart", but I wouldn't touch anything prior to the 2015 draft.
I’d say the Griffin Reinhart Trade for the oil, that was pure stupidity, unless we were planning on drafting like the bruins did that draft

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I would have taken Matt Tkachuk over Jesse Pulujarvi in the draft. Even though he almost certainly would have asked for a trade by now like he did with Calgary, the return on that trade, whatever it was, would be more helpful to the franchise than JP ended up.

I almost said "not trade for Griffin Reinhart", but I wouldn't touch anything prior to the 2015 draft.
That Reinhart trade was after McDavid was picked though.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Canucks draft Kopitar.
Big 6'5 potential franchise Center - something our franchise was thirsting for years at the time...
Fell in draft... Right into our laps. We passed on him to take a safe pick dman instead.

Remember people were apparently concerned because of the small hockey nation he was from.
Hurts.
I don’t disagree, but to be fair: the Canucks never got to see what they had on their hands with the guy they drafted (RIP). Maybe as another D-man on that 2011 team, Bourdon helps that depth and they win.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Prevent Marc Bergevin from coming anywhere near the team.

Close second : Sit Carey Price for the first game of the eastern finals in 2014.
Kreider was taken 1 pick after Louis LeBlanc. If they had drafted him, not only do they have him on their team but he can't injure Price. Might not have had enough to beat the Kings, but they had a fighting chance.

David Bruce Banner

Acid Raven Bed Burn
Mar 25, 2008
Waaaaay over there
Canucks draft Kopitar.
Big 6'5 potential franchise Center - something our franchise was thirsting for years at the time...
Fell in draft... Right into our laps. We passed on him to take a safe pick dman instead.

Remember people were apparently concerned because of the small hockey nation he was from.
Hurts.

You're not going to go with, "NOT HIRE BENNING"?!?

You're crazy...

I'm going to go with NOT HIRE BENNING.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Stopping the hire of Peter Chiarelli would have to be #1 on a list with a few close 2nds

I’d like to be able to undo Klefbom shoulder injury but that probably falls outside the OP premise. Klefbom was our top D so it was a massive understated loss. It also gave Nurse camp way more leverage. Had Nurse been on the 2nd pairing he probably slots in at 5.5 after his bridge deal. He wouldn’t have even had that showcase in a weak Canadian division as he’d had been a clear as day second fiddle to Klef.

Oilers would be a much better team with a healthy Klefbom (he had a value contract) and Nurse never getting his colossal one.

Last edited:

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
trading 1st and a 2nd for a trending bust in Griffin Reinhart...set the team back years
The idea of trading those picks for a soon-to-be in the lineup d-man was alright. The target was ridiculous and seemed to be based on Chiarelli falling in love with Reinhart at the draft and pro scouts not doing their jobs. That's using my imagination a bit, who knows why he targeted Reinhart!?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks draft Kopitar.

Hurts.
With Kopi, and the roster the Canucks had under Gillis, that was their best chance to win a Cup.

Not hiring Benning, they might be a good team by now.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Might go something a bit more specific and start Cory Schneider game 6 against the Bruins. Luongo gave the game away in the first 10 minutes.

Reactions: The Pale King

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’d say the Griffin Reinhart Trade for the oil, that was pure stupidity, unless we were planning on drafting like the bruins did that draft

If we can’t include management moves (as in not hiring certain GMs) this was the one.

Imagine coming out of the McDavid draft with Barzal also. He was right there for the taking. Other good options there too at the pick. But he was the guy I wanted. The other one was Joel Eriksson EK. Either guy would have been great to have let alone the additional options with the 2nd round pick.

Last edited:

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It has to be giving Tkachuk that bridge contract or not going with Carolina's offer for Tkachuk.
Phaneuf trade is pretty close as well.
What was Carolina's offer? Huberdeau didn't work out but Weegar is probably better than anyone they would've offered

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
LOL why? Lou was completely lost and he decimated the roster before leaving.
Edit: I completely misunderstood the post, my bad.

Personally I'd say drafting Makar over Hischier or not sign the ridiculous Kovy contract.
Who needs Makar when youll have Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec; id take those two over Makar and any other defenseman on Colorado

Hischier-Hughes is critical to New Jersey

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
For Montreal it's probably drafting Claude Giroux instead of David Fischer in 2006. Prime Giroux added to the Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Markov, Plekanec, Gallagher group gives that team the true #1C it was always missing but without losing anyone important to that core through the butterfly effect of Giroux likely putting Montreal higher in the standings. Giroux breaking into the league for Montreal in 08-09 like he did with the Flyers also potentially prevents the Gomez/McDonagh trade from happening and potentially means Bergevin is never hired.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad