Redo One Move From Your Team In The Last 20 Years

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Trading away Gustav Forsling for 17 games of Adam Clendening. Forsling is a top-15 defenseman in the league today, while Clendening has really been AHL caliber throughout his entire career

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Another Devils one would be not trading 9th OV for Schneider at the 2013 draft. Perhaps everything worked out in the end for the Devils but If they decided to rebuild and keep the pick then there is a good chance that one or more of Draisaitl, Mcdavid, Eichel, And Mathews would have been a Devil.

Reactions: SJinNewJersey

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I do not see a way to avoid Detroit sliding into mediocrity in the last decade, and certainly no solution to make the team a legitimate contender. I'd instead focus on giving Detroit the best chance to win the Stanley Cup while doing something somewhat realistic.

Draft either Vlasic or Letang in 2005 rather than Kindl.

Detroit's best chances by far to win Stanley Cups, other than the one it did win in this window, are 2007 and especially 2009. So, I'd want a player who can contribute to winning those Stanley Cups on a cheap contract. Vlasic played top pairing minutes for a solid San Jose team as early as 2007 and was a quality number 2 by 2009. I don't know that he really makes a difference in 2007, but I'd be content to give some of the Lilja/Lebda minutes to Vlasic instead. That's even more true by 2009, when he very well could tip the balance.

Letang is more of a stretch as the pick in that he was a third rounder, but it wouldn't be a total reach at the time. It's somewhat cheap to steal him from Pittsburgh in 2009 but Letang was ready to contribute by that year, so taking him over Kindl helps in 2009. Letang has no impact in 2007. Letang does more to extend Detroit's window beyond 2009, but Vlasic helps a lot and I don't see Detroit getting past the top teams in the West after 2009 even with Vlasic/Letang.

Jixer19

Dec 19, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
If that happened, does the team still draft Rantanen in 2015? Do they still implode in 2016-17 leading to drafting Makar? Does Duchene still request a trade? If everything doesn't happen the same way, do they still win the Cup?

To me, the safe choice is to just not trade for RyJo, even though he cost nothing.
You have solid points for sure, the what if's are always something that can be worse. I will just think of having him on the Avs and not the ripple effect it coulda had, cause I am sure it would have changed something as you said

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
I do not see a way to avoid Detroit sliding into mediocrity in the last decade, and certainly no solution to make the team a legitimate contender. I'd instead focus on giving Detroit the best chance to win the Stanley Cup while doing something somewhat realistic.

Draft either Vlasic or Letang in 2005 rather than Kindl.

Detroit's best chances by far to win Stanley Cups, other than the one it did win in this window, are 2007 and especially 2009. So, I'd want a player who can contribute to winning those Stanley Cups on a cheap contract. Vlasic played top pairing minutes for a solid San Jose team as early as 2007 and was a quality number 2 by 2009. I don't know that he really makes a difference in 2007, but I'd be content to give some of the Lilja/Lebda minutes to Vlasic instead. That's even more true by 2009, when he very well could tip the balance.

Letang is more of a stretch as the pick in that he was a third rounder, but it wouldn't be a total reach at the time. It's somewhat cheap to steal him from Pittsburgh in 2009 but Letang was ready to contribute by that year, so taking him over Kindl helps in 2009. Letang has no impact in 2007. Letang does more to extend Detroit's window beyond 2009, but Vlasic helps a lot and I don't see Detroit getting past the top teams in the West after 2009 even with Vlasic/Letang.
I don’t think Letang would have become the player he has been with the Pens in Detroit’s system. Two different philosophies, and having Crosby + Malkin boosted his career a lot.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don’t think Letang would have become the player he has been with the Pens in Detroit’s system. Two different philosophies, and having Crosby + Malkin boosted his career a lot.
It's possible, he's a higher risk/reward option than Vlasic. I like him better than Kindl regardless obviously.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
In Feb 2010 the Habs hired Pierre Gauthier as GM. In June Julien Brisebois left the habs and became assistant gm in Tampa. If the habs had given him a similar promotion in February, he likely stays and becomes Gm after Gauthier is let go and replaced by Bergevin. Having Brisebois in the organization and letting him walk without putting up a bigger fight is imo there worst decision of the past 20 years.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Three for me for the Preds

Hated moving Fiala for Granlund.

Jones/Johansen and Weber/Subban could've been done in one move - Weber for Johansen.

We would've stayed younger, longer.

Reactions: Gh24

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Be willing to negotiate Danny Briere's contract in season back in 06-07 and extend him rather than refuse to negotiate in season and watch him walk.

The Sabres are on a completely different trajectory from that one move.
You could argue if the Sabres signed Briere ASAP Drury would've signed eventually as well. Or vice versa. Then Vanek goes with the offer sheet

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hiring Peter Chiarelli, or alternatively if it has to be a single move, 16 and 33oa in 2015 for Griffin Reinhart. Which was of course made by Chiarelli.

Reactions: tucker3434

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Trading Rask for Raycroft, easily.

Still boils my blood to this day. :madfire:
It was a really bad move. But let's be honest, Rask isn't enough to win a cup with the teams we had before Matthews, and we wouldn't have got Matthews with him.

My choice would be not trading one of the many 1st over the last few years for rentals or to move a contract. A very close 2nd is to sign Hyman

Reactions: BondraEra

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
*long, annoyed, frustrated, sigh*

Forsberg for Erat.

Cost us at least one (1) additional cup in ‘16 or ‘17, when we were the best thing smoking.

*wistful, lamenting sigh*
Since you said this, I’ll say meet Chara’s asking price in 2006 instead of cheaping out and settling for Brian Pothier. Imagine the Caps Young Guns core with a top defensive pairing of prime Zdeno Chara and prime Mike Green.

• Love
Reactions: 43sfriends

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad