Confirmed Trade: [UTA/TBL] Mikhail Sergachev for Conor Geekie, J.J. Moser, 2025 2nd, 2024 7th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
TB does it again. A team bails them out of their cap problems, and they add some assets they can use for other moves (picks) and a prospect that may be able to help their twilight competitive window (Geekie).

Moser is a pretty serviceable and underrated player. He'll slide right into their #4 role.

Reactions: quat, SR and Zwui21

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Absolutely love this trade. We freed up necessary cap space while getting a good young Dman in return. And we get a prospect for which the Coyotes had high expectations. Instantly becomes our top prospect (by far). 2nd and 7th round picks to go along is very good too, giving us an extra 2nd round pick to use at the trade deadline.

Tidy piece of work by JBB.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
These are the type of trades good orgs make. They recognized the situation they had with Serg and acted (right before his NTC kicked in tomorrow). I'm sure they didnt like getting bounced in b2b 1st rounds. Thats not accepted for the Lightning and changes needed to be made. Good on them. And now they might even land Guentzel.

Really like it for Utah too. They need to get better, and now with a proper owner and money they swung on a big need. Looking forward to seeing what Serg can do being the guy and without Hedman in front of him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I like what TB did here. They needed an injection of youth in their fwd group and Geekie is a talented fwd. Also provides them protection if Stamkos does not re-sign. Have to wonder if this is a clue of future happenings.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Utah doing the exact same thing Coyotes did when they moved from Winnipeg to Phoenix. Will be interesting to see how it looks 5 years from now.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This a robbery by Tampa. Getting Moser back and then you add Geekie!!!?... and 2nd pick next year. Utah management sucks big time
I'm not so sure about that as the adage goes usually the team that gets the best player wins and Geekie really seems to be lacking something as he can make incredible plays but often disappears and that's in junior not the NHL.

Reactions: bleuetbio

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I'm not so sure about that as the adage goes usually the team that gets the best player wins and Geekie really seems to be lacking something as he can make incredible plays but often disappears and that's in junior not the NHL.

Understand your point about the best layer but it still and overpayment. About Geekie, he still need time but has been a solid contributor in WHL this year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's actually really shocking how far off league perception of Sergachev is from the reality of Sergachev. We brought back McDonagh for a reason. He was going to slot above Sergachev. It made this move necessary.

He's a good defenseman, but not a #1. if he's not your best offensive defenseman, the contract is a problem. That's the situation we were in.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's actually really shocking how far off league perception of Sergachev is from the reality of Sergachev. We brought back McDonagh for a reason. He was going to slot above Sergachev. It made this move necessary.

He's a good defenseman, but not a #1. if he's not your best offensive defenseman, the contract is a problem. That's the situation we were in.
Whatever happens in Tampa comes with a delay of a couple of years to the rest of the league.

I remember the time on HF when Point was unanimously Tampa's 1C among Lightning fans, but everyone else said it was Stamkos.

And now, Lightning fans have come to terms with the fact that Hedman isn't among the very best defensemen in the league anymore, while I still constantly see fans from other fanbases putting him in their top 5, maybe even top 3.

Reactions: Meuracas

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Ballsy. Sergachev was bad last year…was a freaking stud the year before.

Sergachev at his best is a #1 - so this does definitely qualify as addressing the top pair.
If you look closely at his games you will see he has had only about 1/2 of a season of facing tough opposition with some success.

He has mostly been used as a 2nd and even 3rd pair guy with #1 PP.

He was bad last year because McDonaugh was gone and had to face tougher opposition because of it.

He has great offensive tools but isn’t solid enough in his own zone to be a top pair guy. I was amazed Julien Brisebois gave him that contract but he has repaired his mistake with this trade.

Kept saying to Habs fans he wasnt a top guy but they didn’t believe me and the hate the had for Drouin blinded them so bad lol

They then pointed to his contract and said that Brisebois must not see the things as I did…

I guess Brisebois came around lol :)

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
He's literally a powerplay merchant. Guy is atrocious defensively, routinely out of position. Has a great shot, great skater, not a bad passer but literally was the beneficiary of taking the PP QB spot on the powerplay with Kucherov.

Expect a massive dip in his production, Tampa management likely knew this as well and that's why they dumped him. I think Utah got absolutely robbed on this deal.
The same Tampa management that just signed Sergachev to an 8 year deal? Ok, clearly their plan is rock solid. No chance they ever make a mistakes.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Tampa has Hedman. How many D in the league would be the #1 ahead of him?
The reason Sergachev was traded was to clear his cap to create room for Geuntzel.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
Sergachev always made me think of Provorov. Waiting..... waiting..... almost there......

reino

Jul 20, 2019
I like almost everything Tampa did, however getting McDonaugh back and expecting him to be same rock as before is severely flawed thinking. These reunites never work especially with older players

Reactions: King 88

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Tampa has Hedman. How many D in the league would be the #1 ahead of him?
The reason Sergachev was traded was to clear his cap to create room for Geuntzel.
Uh huh. So why did we bring back McDonagh then?

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Geekie is very very raw, but is a very good player. He has a knack for being a floater and disinterested at times, but when he turns it on, he’s excellent.

Moser is a very honest second pairing guy, very consistent and rarely makes mistakes.

I think this is a win for Tampa

Out:
Sergachev 8M

In
Geekie
Moser
Guentzel
2nd
3rd

Yeah, that’s excellent management imo.

Reactions: Zynbanejad

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Geekie is very very raw, but is a very good player. He has a knack for being a floater and disinterested at times, but when he turns it on, he’s excellent.

Moser is a very honest second pairing guy, very consistent and rarely makes mistakes.

I think this is a win for Tampa

Out:
Sergachev 8M

In
Geekie
Moser
Guentzel
2nd
3rd

Yeah, that’s excellent management imo.

Pretty much exactly what we needed except he has an extra buffer with McDonagh there as well. Tampa upgrades defensively, gets a top prospect and saves significant cap. Sergachev's strength is his offense but that wasn't needed when Hedman takes all the prime oppertunities.

More risky for Tampa imo, but Geekie is a good prospect & they open up flexibility... we'll see,

Risky how? There's literally no need for Sergachev, he was just eating up so much cap space for a guy who was going to be on the 3rd pairing.

Reactions: DFC

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
TB does it again. A team bails them out of their cap problems, and they add some assets they can use for other moves (picks) and a prospect that may be able to help their twilight competitive window (Geekie).

Moser is a pretty serviceable and underrated player. He'll slide right into their #4 role.
Is it really "bailing out" if the other team gets a very good player out of it? Let's not pretend that Utah is just taking dead salary here, they took a player from TB that they feel can contribute to them now, and are giving up a fair package of assets to do so.

Reactions: Imgoingtowork

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad