Confirmed Trade: [UTA/TBL] Mikhail Sergachev for Conor Geekie, J.J. Moser, 2025 2nd, 2024 7th

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
TB does it again. A team bails them out of their cap problems, and they add some assets they can use for other moves (picks) and a prospect that may be able to help their twilight competitive window (Geekie).

Moser is a pretty serviceable and underrated player. He'll slide right into their #4 role.

Reactions: Zwui21

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Absolutely love this trade. We freed up necessary cap space while getting a good young Dman in return. And we get a prospect for which the Coyotes had high expectations. Instantly becomes our top prospect (by far). 2nd and 7th round picks to go along is very good too, giving us an extra 2nd round pick to use at the trade deadline.

Tidy piece of work by JBB.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
These are the type of trades good orgs make. They recognized the situation they had with Serg and acted (right before his NTC kicked in tomorrow). I'm sure they didnt like getting bounced in b2b 1st rounds. Thats not accepted for the Lightning and changes needed to be made. Good on them. And now they might even land Guentzel.

Really like it for Utah too. They need to get better, and now with a proper owner and money they swung on a big need. Looking forward to seeing what Serg can do being the guy and without Hedman in front of him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I like what TB did here. They needed an injection of youth in their fwd group and Geekie is a talented fwd. Also provides them protection if Stamkos does not re-sign. Have to wonder if this is a clue of future happenings.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Utah doing the exact same thing Coyotes did when they moved from Winnipeg to Phoenix. Will be interesting to see how it looks 5 years from now.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This a robbery by Tampa. Getting Moser back and then you add Geekie!!!?... and 2nd pick next year. Utah management sucks big time
I'm not so sure about that as the adage goes usually the team that gets the best player wins and Geekie really seems to be lacking something as he can make incredible plays but often disappears and that's in junior not the NHL.

Reactions: bleuetbio

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I'm not so sure about that as the adage goes usually the team that gets the best player wins and Geekie really seems to be lacking something as he can make incredible plays but often disappears and that's in junior not the NHL.

Understand your point about the best layer but it still and overpayment. About Geekie, he still need time but has been a solid contributor in WHL this year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's actually really shocking how far off league perception of Sergachev is from the reality of Sergachev. We brought back McDonagh for a reason. He was going to slot above Sergachev. It made this move necessary.

He's a good defenseman, but not a #1. if he's not your best offensive defenseman, the contract is a problem. That's the situation we were in.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's actually really shocking how far off league perception of Sergachev is from the reality of Sergachev. We brought back McDonagh for a reason. He was going to slot above Sergachev. It made this move necessary.

He's a good defenseman, but not a #1. if he's not your best offensive defenseman, the contract is a problem. That's the situation we were in.
Whatever happens in Tampa comes with a delay of a couple of years to the rest of the league.

I remember the time on HF when Point was unanimously Tampa's 1C among Lightning fans, but everyone else said it was Stamkos.

And now, Lightning fans have come to terms with the fact that Hedman isn't among the very best defensemen in the league anymore, while I still constantly see fans from other fanbases putting him in their top 5, maybe even top 3.

Reactions: Meuracas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad