Confirmed Signing with Link: [UTA] F Barrett Hayton re-signs with the Utah Hockey Club (2 years, $2.65M AAV)

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Should be very value for 2 years. Still waiting to see if Arizona made a mistake going off board on him. They did the same with Blake Wheeler and it took his 3rd team and age 25 year to breakout. Hayton only just turned 24 so this contract playing out should show firmly who he is.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Also only played 33 games.
Then pro rate it. That's more than I would have given him. I would think his 10% raise would have been more than enough. I guess BA's thinking is with Bjugstad and probably Kerfoot gone we need all the C's we can get.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Meh. Alright deal if he's able to stay healthy. Decent 3rd line center. Still want him far away from the top 6 though. For the love of good just put Cooley/Guenther/Doan together and then put Bjugstad/Kerfoot/McBain with Schmaltz/Keller.
Please do not put Hayton or McBain anywhere in the top six. Bjustad showed last year he can play with Keller and Schmaltz.

Feb 5, 2016
I believe the plan for Hayton is at 2C with Maccelli on his LW and Guenther on his RW.

Cooley should be bumped up to 1C as he showed he is capable of playing at 1C.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Was 2nd on the team in xG diff per 60 only to Josh Doan who only played 11 games.

As long as his goalies can save better than 87% of the shots against them while he’s on the ice, and he and his teammates can convert better than 7% of their shots into goals, then he should have a huge bounce back year

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Then pro rate it. That's more than I would have given him. I would think his 10% raise would have been more than enough. I guess BA's thinking is with Bjugstad and probably Kerfoot gone we need all the C's we can get.
*Shrugs
He was injured last year. the year prior, he only had 14 points in the first 47 games. Then he started to put things together and had 14 goals and 29 points in the last 35 games. Great? no, but solid, and he started winning tons and tons of faceoffs and playing very good two way hockey.

His projection is two way 2nd or 3rd line Center, so its not like 2.65 million is breaking banks

ijuka

May 14, 2016
One of those picks that was bad at the time and is still bad.

As for the amount of money, i don't get what he's done to earn this kind of money but I guess they're banking on him breaking out. Realistically, he's a third liner, and not a particularly good one.

Reactions: Dog

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

As for the amount of money, i don't get what he's done to earn this kind of money but I guess they're banking on him breaking out. Realistically, he's a third liner, and not a particularly good one.
Ha ha...I remember being worried they were going to select Zadina or Hughes (oops) since Tkachuk was gone. Wanted Dobson.

They they announced Hayton and I had to look him up. Doh.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
*Shrugs
He was injured last year. the year prior, he only had 14 points in the first 47 games. Then he started to put things together and had 14 goals and 29 points in the last 35 games. Great? no, but solid, and he started winning tons and tons of faceoffs and playing very good two way hockey.

His projection is two way 2nd or 3rd line Center, so its not like 2.65 million is breaking banks

Some of that was probably inflated a bit by who he was playing with, but point still remains...he's certainly a lot more than a "10pt player" as was spouted off. :laugh:

Utah are still pretty starved for Centers too. Who knows where exactly he lands, but i'd imagine he'll get some looks and opportunities to rotate through the Top-6 with good, creative "offensive catalyst" wingers he needs to be productive.

He's never really struck me as any kind of offensive "play driver" and i doubt that's ever going to change. But if he's healthy and can pick up where he left off the year prior, $2.65M for a couple years is plenty fine value for a decent 2-way Middle-6 Center, even if he's more of a "facilitator" than anything else. Especially for a Utah team that isn't exactly hurting for cap space to burn.

If he just bounces back to something like ~15-20G - 40Pt range that he notched the year before his last injury shortened campaign, that's very decent value @ $2.65M. I don't see any way he picks up the kind of pace he ended that season on, unless he's playing with Keller/Schmaltz...but that's fine. That sort of pace would be enormous surplus value.

Seems like he's a player who suffers from a couple of things compounding one another.

1) The label of "overdrafted"...which he'll probably never overcome. It was a reach on a potential 2-way Top-6 Center...which isn't even a bad thing to "reach" on. Plus, look at the rest of that draft and guys taken after him. Littered with downright total busts. Guys like Zadina, Boqvist, Kravtsov, Wahlstrom. Even just ahead of him, the Habs reach on Kotkaniemi...and i don't think a healthy Hayton is particularly any worse than him. It just looks bad because they had defencemen like Hughes/Bouchard/Dobson all sitting there ripe for the taking, and those were all very plausible picks at the time as well.

2) Playing for the Yotes. Nobody cares, nobody watched them or paid attention to anything other than Keller lighting it up basically. So a lot of people didn't get to see Hayton rounding into at least a very serviceable middle-6 Center.

But anyway...seems like a reasonable deal given all the circumstances. Close enough to "fair value" if he gets back to "status quo". With some pretty significant potential upside if he gets back to progressing in the right direction again.

Reactions: Jakey53 and bossram

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Was not a good year to be drafting a forward early. I see only one forward taken after Hayton in the 2018 first round who is clearly better then him.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I feel like the challenge for Utah -- they have / have had so many prospects / young players, especially up front, that they're a little "fearful" to go out and add the Nick Folignos, Vladimir Tarasenkos, Tuevo Teravainens or Tyler Bertuzzis of the world to compliment players like Hayton.

Instead, they're in a position where they're putting too many young players into prominent offensive roles, and young players are inherently inconsisent.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Was not a good year to be drafting a forward early. I see only one forward taken after Hayton in the 2018 first round who is clearly better then him.

It's almost comedic how bad that draft was for Forwards.

This isn't even remotely an exaggeration. Joel Farabee is the only guy better than Hayton taken after him in that first round. Aside from that, it's Veleno and a whole bunch of absolutely nothing, if not outright busts who have completely washed out of the league already. Kotkaniemi ahead of Hayton is...honestly on a pretty comparable level. Obviously Svechnikov and Tkachuk taken ahead are better. But that's basically the entire extent of that 1st round Forwards. :laugh:

The next good Forwards weren't taken until quite a ways into the 2nd round.

It just looks kind of awful because people remember that Hayton was a "reach" from Bob's consensus list at the time...and it just so happened to be a draft with a cornucopia of good defencemen available, and so many of them have panned out.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
For some reason I thought he put up 40-50 points and was impressed with this deal. Seems like a reasonable target for him, which again would make this a good deal.

Reactions: Jakey53

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I believe the plan for Hayton is at 2C with Maccelli on his LW and Guenther on his RW.

Cooley should be bumped up to 1C as he showed he is capable of playing at 1C.
Sure, let's just take Crouse away from Maccelli and Bjugstad away from both, one of the teams most productive lines, and then separate the teams best line at the end of the season, Cooley Guenther and Doan.

Cooley really didn't show much of anything 1C like considering he meshed better with Doan and Guenther than Schmaltz and Keller by far and was absolutely brutal on faceoffs and not amazing on defense either.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad