Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Have faith despite being outplayed by panthers
Had there been interference on coyle in game 4 the series goes 7 and who knows what wouldve happen. Bruins are close

Believe me I’m hoping. I think I’m just still slightly mad that when we traded Ullmark and all we got in return that will impact the playoff roster is kastelic and who knows how big of an upgrade if at all he will be to the 4th line.

I was really hoping for a top 9 forward or cap space.

Hopefully some of the young players lysell/lohrei/poitras/brazeau make that jump because our winger group is probably the worst it’s been since 2014 or 2015 so we need them all to provide some offense

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Believe me I’m hoping. I think I’m just still slightly mad that when we traded Ullmark and all we got in return that will impact the playoff roster is kastelic and who knows how big of an upgrade if at all he will be to the 4th line.

I was really hoping for a top 9 forward or cap space.

Hopefully some of the young players lysell/lohrei/poitras/brazeau make that jump because our winger group is probably the worst it’s been since 2014 or 2015 so we need them all to provide some offense
They got 2 million in cap space that helped them to add 2 very good playoff performers.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
His play in the playoffs probably scared off many suitors. Maybe you were just overrating him. Just pointing out that we did get cap space in that trade since you inferred that we didn’t.
Was the best they could do with Ullmark,

It will work out in the end with just the pick we received alone. Don't sleep on Kastelic either.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I don’t disagree, although Heinen obviously had a good regular season no matter folks opinions on his first time thru the Boston organization. JVR was pretty cooked in the second half, so optimistic there, too. But still a little scared there isn’t enough speed/skill in the forward group to get it into the offensive zone for the big guys to get to work. You saw it in the Florida series when they did get possession in deep how good they were, but too often they had to dump and chase and not get to the puck fast enough, which is just a glorified turnover. Really hopeful that Lysell can bring some more ability to carry the puck into the offensive zone with control, but who knows.
Kastelic, Jones and Lysell are all very good skaters, add Beecher to the group and they are not slow. Frederic and Pasta are good to very good skaters as well.

I would like to have seen a Kiefer Sherwood or another plus speed forward added but I like the forward group.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
That's part of it.

I thought we'd see a big jump from year one in the AHL to year two. I think we likely saw some improvement. But not where I had him predicted.
He went from a 56 point pace in year 1 to a 73 point pace in year 2. That's very similar to Marchand's production his first 2 years (but Lysell was a year younger). Or were you looking for growth in other areas?

Reactions: Kegs

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
He went from a 56 point pace in year 1 to a 73 point pace in year 2. That's very similar to Marchand's production his first 2 years (but Lysell was a year younger). Or were you looking for growth in other areas?
I thought Lysell would start slow in the AHL in his first season, but by the end of that year he would make some adjustments to the increased speed of the game and turn it on by the end. Very similar to what we saw him do with the Giants.

Then in his second year, he would be victim of numbers, but would continue his progression and force an extended look in Boston midway through.

Instead his second year in Providence started rocky, which led to his coach calling him out and some skepticism from some who watched him regularly. Again, I think he's taken a step forward. I'm anything but down on him.

But to say that to date, he's forced his way to expectation to succeed in a scoring role in the NHL? He's not there yet. I thought he would be (again he was in my top ten of the year he was drafted) but not quite. If he starts this season in Providence, then I think it would be fair to expect my projected scenario for year two would instead happen for him in year three.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I thought Lysell would start slow in the AHL in his first season, but by the end of that year he would make some adjustments to the increased speed of the game and turn it on by the end. Very similar to what we saw him do with the Giants.

Then in his second year, he would be victim of numbers, but would continue his progression and force an extended look in Boston midway through.

Instead his second year in Providence started rocky, which led to his coach calling him out and some skepticism from some who watched him regularly. Again, I think he's taken a step forward. I'm anything but down on him.

But to say that to date, he's forced his way to expectation to succeed in a scoring role in the NHL? He's not there yet. I thought he would be (again he was in my top ten of the year he was drafted) but not quite. If he starts this season in Providence, then I think it would be fair to expect my projected scenario for year two would instead happen for him in year three.
Living where seeing him live does not happen. Lysell is at the point in his career, he either takes a large step forward or his future becomes questionable. Hope he is ready for the NHL or to be dominate in the AHL. We will have a better idea by the new year

Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Kastelic, Jones and Lysell are all very good skaters, add Beecher to the group and they are not slow. Frederic and Pasta are good to very good skaters as well.

I would like to have seen a Kiefer Sherwood or another plus speed forward added but I like the forward group.

The 23/24 Bruins were slow. Pasta is an average skater, Freddy is decent but no more than that. Beecher is quick for sure, so is Jones. Kastelic I have no idea, Lysell will need to show it at the top level.

Overall I'm reasonably happy with the forward group even though it's clearly a player short at present. But I'll continue to worry about their speed until they prove otherwise.

Kastelic isn't good...this comes from a number of Sen fans I know well. He will be sitting or in P land.

That was also my impression just from perusing the Sens board when the trade went down. Fourth liners come and go and it's normal than no-one really cares, but there was very little love for the guy at all. Not engaged enough seemed to be the main critique. But new team, new opportunity. He has size and some physicality. Can only give him a chance.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The 23/24 Bruins were slow. Pasta is an average skater, Freddy is decent but no more than that. Beecher is quick for sure, so is Jones. Kastelic I have no idea, Lysell will need to show it at the top level.

Overall I'm reasonably happy with the forward group even though it's clearly a player short at present. But I'll continue to worry about their speed until they prove otherwise.

That was also my impression just from perusing the Sens board when the trade went down. Fourth liners come and go and it's normal than no-one really cares, but there was very little love for the guy at all. Not engaged enough seemed to be the main critique. But new team, new opportunity. He has size and some physicality. Can only give him a chance.

If the 23/24 Bruins were slow, it didn't seem to hurt them much.

109-point season that could have been much better if they could have held a lead late.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
If the 23/24 Bruins were slow, it didn't seem to hurt them much.

109-point season that could have been much better if they could have held a lead late.

Every team has its strengths and weaknesses. Doesn't mean they can't be overcome. Last season's Bruins were good at quite a few things, foot speed IMO just wasn't one of them. They covered for that pretty well, but it was a noticeable factor against the Panthers in the end.

Hence I would have liked to see some more pace injected in the offseason. We've added a little, but probably not as much as I'd hoped. Whether that will be a problem or not, we'll see.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Every team has its strengths and weaknesses. Doesn't mean they can't be overcome. Last season's Bruins were good at quite a few things, foot speed IMO just wasn't one of them. They covered for that pretty well, but it was a noticeable factor against the Panthers in the end.

Hence I would have liked to see some more pace injected in the offseason. We've added a little, but probably not as much as I'd hoped. Whether that will be a problem or not, we'll see.

Just getting players with more foot speed doesn't necessarily make a team any better.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Just getting players with more foot speed doesn't necessarily make a team any better.

Of course, but it can still potentially help, no? Otherwise it's like saying that acquiring guys who can shoot well doesn't necessarily translate into more goals, so don't bother. You need the raw talent, then you mould it into an effective team.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
Right, look at Studnicka, all the speed in the world with apparently little/no finish or hockey IQ?
Didn't he score a goal with his face, when with Boston?.
He is signed with the Kings now, I believe a league minimum, two way contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad