USMNT - 2026 World Cup Cycle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No, not the federation. People who would perceive it as xenophobic to intentionally keep the games away from large metro areas with immigrant populations. I recall some of this sentiment in the past, forget which games in particular. An official move to make a largely white metro area the official home of US Soccer would raise questions.

For the record, I am all for getting as much of a home crowd advantage as you can, outside of outright illegal profiling. This isn't a charity, it's a competition. I come from a Polish upbringing and plenty of my family/friends would root for Poland over the USA despite growing up here or living here since the 1980's/1990's. I would never hold it against US Soccer keeping a meaningful Poland/USA match out of Chicago / NYC metro areas (I know this is really a hypothetical).
This would be a very low threshold for xenophobia

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Though England isn't the only country with a main stadium for their biggest games, the US is far from the only NT that plays its games across the country. Our NT is the same way.

I think it's just a matter of the sport still being more popular with immigrants than it is with americans, despite its growth.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Though England isn't the only country with a main stadium for their biggest games, the US is far from the only NT that plays its games across the country. Our NT is the same way.
Right but are the German fans getting outnumbered by the Polish fans when they play a game in Berlin, French when they play in Freiburg, Austrians when they play in Munich, etc

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Right but are the German fans getting outnumbered by the Polish fans when they play a game in Berlin, French when they play in Freiburg, Austrians when they play in Munich, etc

It's happened before, not as often as it happens to the americans...especially in non-friendlies...but that's because football isn't more popular with immigrants than it is with local germans. So when that happens to us it's about them rarely getting the chance to see their team vs us being able to see the NT whenever.

Whereas the US would need to actively make it harder for immigrants to attend USNMT matches...and not just immigrants, but the children of immigrants from neighboring countries...to artificially try to create a strong homefield advantage.

Which would be problematic...especially whenever the USMNT tried to present itself as a welcoming force in the PR battle for dual-nationals. Not getting outraged about it before anyone misinterprets what I'm saying :laugh:

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Seems like Columbus has been that de-facto hub. Not always, but it definitely has been ol' reliable when needed to be.
If US Soccer ever did go this route, they'd have to toe the line carefully to not be perceived as racist/xenophobic. We all know there would be some uproar surrounding that.
Nashville or Charlotte would probably work as well? Also both MLS towns like Columbus.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Anytime they play Mexico anywhere in the south/South West they'll always get out-drawn
So basically if you lose in the semi's and Canada wins, the finals will be me and 45 other Canadians against a crowd of of Mexican fans?

Sounds like a repeat of when we played Morocco at the World Cup.

Reactions: cgf

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The Mexican supporters are also one of the best travelling countries in the sport. The home game in Edmonton last November was packed with Mexican fans in the dead of winter.

It's a dedicated group!

Reactions: cgf

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Nashville or Charlotte would probably work as well? Also both MLS towns like Columbus.
St. Louis or Kansas City, too. There's plenty of cities. But it shouldn't happen because the team should be going from city to city. England is weird because so much of their population is in London. London is about 16% of England's population. The equivalent sized city in the US would be 53.5M people. You can also get basically anywhere in England via a 5 hour train ride. Not the case with America.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
St. Louis or Kansas City, too. There's plenty of cities. But it shouldn't happen because the team should be going from city to city. England is weird because so much of their population is in London. London is about 16% of England's population. The equivalent sized city in the US would be 53.5M people. You can also get basically anywhere in England via a 5 hour train ride. Not the case with America.
The team should travel, but there should be a single hub location for the biggest games in my opinion. There can be both

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I saw on Twitter and honestly couldn’t believe Dest is playing? While Milan had a CL game yesterday loool.
Well yeah, that was talked about once the US roster came out. Dest being in the US squad despite Milan having multiple matches upcoming. Basically, they do not rate him and are ready for him to move on.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Well yeah, that was talked about once the US roster came out. Dest being in the US squad despite Milan having multiple matches upcoming. Basically, they do not rate him and are ready for him to move on.
I dont follow the US team, it just showed on my TL was shocked but had a good chuckle. I really dont think hes good for Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad