USMNT - 2026 World Cup Cycle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Definitely no faking injuries to get out of international duty either

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Balogun situation is getting to hilarious levels. After he withdrew from the England U-21 squad he immediately flew to Orlando (where US is training) and reports are he had dinner with some of the US squad (not unsurprising since he is friends with a few of them). But the optics of the entire situation are a great to follow on social media.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Bring em on - I'd rather play Mexico than Canada at this point. I think we are clearly stronger than Mexico on paper.
Yeah you guys definitely are. Is Vegas one of the cities in the US that will see a large Mexican support contingent?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There aren't really cities that aren't, but Vegas definitely is. Southwest is the hotbed.
Anytime they play Mexico anywhere in the south/South West they'll always get out-drawn
Same by us too - NJ, Philly, DC, probably Boston as well.
Was always hoping USA would build its version of Wembley in a city whee they would be able to have a consistent homefield advantage and just use it for USMNT, US Open Cup, maybe MLS final, etc.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Was always hoping USA would build its version of Wembley in a city whee they would be able to have a consistent homefield advantage and just use it for USMNT, US Open Cup, maybe MLS final, etc.

To do that in the US you probably have to make it Columbus. Which, without looking it up, is probably something like the 30th largest metro area in the country. Not ideal

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
To do that in the US you probably have to make it Columbus. Which, without looking it up, is probably something like the 30th largest metro area in the country. Not ideal

I don’t think it has to be Ohio.

I think you could do like Seattle for example. You can do somewhere cold with a dime and better planning. You can also do a place where the stadium is the destination. I mean Stadium Series in Raleigh, NC brought in 20m to the economy. Someone is going to sign up for that.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I don’t think it has to be Ohio.

I think you could do like Seattle for example. You can do somewhere cold with a dime and better planning. You can also do a place where the stadium is the destination. I mean Stadium Series in Raleigh, NC brought in 20m to the economy. Someone is going to sign up for that.

Seattle is probably the best bet, but one of the worst for travel for Euro-based players.

At the end of the day, the US is too big to not have the national team be a traveling show. It's not like the fervent soccer support is all in one region.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Seattle is probably the best bet, but one of the worst for travel for Euro-based players.

At the end of the day, the US is too big to not have the national team be a traveling show. It's not like the fervent soccer support is all in one region.
For sure. I believe though that there should be a hub, with a guaranteed home field advantage for the biggest games.

On the same token though is the argument is that USMNT is a traveling circus, it’s not super fair for one venue to be getting the same game over and over again either

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
For sure. I believe though that there should be a hub, with a guaranteed home field advantage for the biggest games.

On the same token though is the argument is that USMNT is a traveling circus, it’s not super fair for one venue to be getting the same game over and over again either

Seems like Columbus has been that de-facto hub. Not always, but it definitely has been ol' reliable when needed to be.
If US Soccer ever did go this route, they'd have to toe the line carefully to not be perceived as racist/xenophobic. We all know there would be some uproar surrounding that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Seems like Columbus has been that de-facto hub. Not always, but it definitely has been ol' reliable when needed to be.
If US Soccer ever did go this route, they'd have to toe the line carefully to not be perceived as racist/xenophobic. We all know there would be some uproar surrounding that.
I don’t agree with that statement. I would say California has been the hub of anything

i think uproar would be severely misplaced. No other national team on the planet doesn’t have home field advantage in its own country. Racist/xenophobic would be if they stopped selling tickets to opposing fans. It’s not racist/xenophobic to want to play somewhere where they aren’t outnumbered

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I don’t agree with that statement. I would say California has been the hub of anything

i think uproar would be severely misplaced. No other national team on the planet doesn’t have home field advantage in its own country. Racist/xenophobic would be if they stopped selling tickets to opposing fans. It’s not racist/xenophobic to want to play somewhere where they aren’t outnumbered

I agree with you, but I'm just saying that there would be complaints of that. A home field advantage for the USMNT means more white people than Mexicans and Central Americans. You make Columbus the hub and it's obvious you are trying to accomplish.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I agree with you, but I'm just saying that there would be complaints of that. A home field advantage for the USMNT means more white people than Mexicans and Central Americans. You make Columbus the hub and it's obvious you are trying to accomplish.
Who would be complaining though? The federation for not getting money from “away” fans?

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Who would be complaining though? The federation for not getting money from “away” fans?

No, not the federation. People who would perceive it as xenophobic to intentionally keep the games away from large metro areas with immigrant populations. I recall some of this sentiment in the past, forget which games in particular. An official move to make a largely white metro area the official home of US Soccer would raise questions.

For the record, I am all for getting as much of a home crowd advantage as you can, outside of outright illegal profiling. This isn't a charity, it's a competition. I come from a Polish upbringing and plenty of my family/friends would root for Poland over the USA despite growing up here or living here since the 1980's/1990's. I would never hold it against US Soccer keeping a meaningful Poland/USA match out of Chicago / NYC metro areas (I know this is really a hypothetical).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad