Tennis: US Open 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Poor Andrei. He is such a fighter; I always hate to see him lose. There was a time that Dimitrov would have folded like a cheap tent under this pressure, but kudos to him for being patient and handling the big points so well when it was needed.
I like him too. I always hate to see him come up short in these slams. He needs a sports psychologist. Someone that’ll get him to be a little calmer when things don’t go his way.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Without any stats to back it up, it seems to me like Navarro and Shnaider have been playing the best tennis on the WTA outside of the top 5 the last couple of months and one of them may be due to win this tournament. Possibly even they could meet in the final.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Anybody else here have DirecTV? I was watching the Zverev match on ESPN and all of sudden it cuts out and I get a message on the screen saying that DirecTV’s contract with Disney has expired. So no more ESPN? Are they serious? WTF???

Fortunately I subscribe to the Disney+ bundle so I can stream ESPN, but I wouldn’t want to be on DirecTV’s phone support right now. I can only imagine the tsunami of phone calls they are getting.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Impressive response after a slow start from Zverev. Really shut down Brandon in the last three sets. Fritz up next; gotta think Zverev now has a great chance to get himself to the final.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Without any stats to back it up, it seems to me like Navarro and Shnaider have been playing the best tennis on the WTA outside of the top 5 the last couple of months and one of them may be due to win this tournament. Possibly even they could meet in the final.

Pegula shredded Shnaider in Toronto, I can't see the roles changing at the US open

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Even with the set loss last round, Sabalenka looks like the clear favorite, she's had an excellent draw too, no one of the 4 players she has faced could come near her power.

Zheng could change that next round if she gets by Vekic tonight.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I wonder what Zheng did that pissed Navarro off last time they met? Zheng seems like such a non-controversial player. She can have an almost regal bearing I find, which shouldn't be a problem as it just seems natural to her, but something ticked Navarro off. All I know is Emma had egg all over her face when Zheng won the gold.

As for Zheng/Vekic 2, I didn't see it but it looks like it was a hell of a match.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I wonder what Zheng did that pissed Navarro off last time they met? Zheng seems like such a non-controversial player. She can have an almost regal bearing I find, which shouldn't be a problem as it just seems natural to her, but something ticked Navarro off. All I know is Emma had egg all over her face when Zheng won the gold.

As for Zheng/Vekic 2, I didn't see it but it looks like it was a hell of a match.
I wondered about this myself. I have no clue what pissed Navarro off.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Draper plays clean tennis while Machac, seemingly intimidated by the occasion, pours out unforced errors by the gallon (16). Easy set for Jack.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Typical round of 16 so far in many ways. The spectre of making the quarterfinals of a major is an intimidating prospect that makes otherwise good players quake in their boots and underperform, the proverbial bridge too far.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Bad day for pretenders to the throne. Borges fares even worse than Machac winning only four games in total and committing 52 unforced errors. Medvedev first serve % up a little bit to 63%, so that's an improvement and good news for him.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This is the type of tennis this afternoon that reminds people that they have a drainpipe that needs fixing.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanniniClaus

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Both Haddad Maia and Catherine Wozniacki have similar games so it wasn't surprising that it took the Brazilian three sets to win it. A lot of error-prone play and some boring stretches, but still best of show among the afternoon matches.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Both Haddad Maia and Catherine Wozniacki have similar games so it wasn't surprising that it took the Brazilian three sets to win it. A lot of error-prone play and some boring stretches, but still best of show among the afternoon matches.

The serve to end it was amazing, she almost aced her on an under 60 MPH serve.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The onslaughts continue. Demon takes the first set from Thompson 6-love...and wins in four sets. He sure deserves the quarterfinals

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sinner starts really shaky and is broken for 2-1. Paul is just keeping the ball in play....well, he is doing a lot more than that. He is giving Sinner lots of different looks. being very aggressive in his net play, putting pressure on both Sinner's serves--all to the delight of a massively intimidating crowd.....and quick like a bunny, Sinner breaks twice and we are now even at 4-all. Can get whiplash in this set.

It felt to me that whoever won the breaker will win the match, and Sinner won it going away. Such a strange set for him....voodoo tennis.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The kind of set that whoever lost it will be kicking himself.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
2nd set: On serve, 4-3, and neither player looking sharp. I'm not sure Sinner has hit a passing shot all night.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That quick little bunny shows up again and Sinner wins another breaker when Paul butchers a couple of Sinner's serve right at the end. Paul could have had both sets, now it may be impossible to comeback from this deficit.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Paul just can’t hit enough winners to beat Sinner, unless Jannik makes a lot of unforced errors.

He can keep it close, but come crunch time of a set his shots aren’t as threatening and he’s not going to be winning slugfest points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad