Tennis: US Open 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
That round of 16 matchup on Monday with Sinner v Paul should be insane as well. I actually like Meddy a lot too to win this whole thing.
If it wasn't for his serve, I might agree with you. Once the ball is in play, he's looking like his old, nettlesome self, but he has served poorly all year, probably the worst year of his career on that score (he is currently ranked a dismal #39 as a server, just behind Roman Safiullin). If that part of his game doesn't somehow find a way to dramatically improve, I think Sinner or Paul will eat him up. Love to see Daniil win another US Open, though.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What a waste of time that was. Alexandrova fell off a cliff in the last two sets and tedium followed.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
For those who like Zverev as a dark horse, watch for the number of four or five set matches he plays before the quarterfinals. Especially since his injury in 2022, he plays a surprisingly high number of such matches, not conserving injury but expending it. It's a big reason he has never won a GS. So far in the first three rounds, he has played two four setters. If this trend continues in the fourth round, it might be evidence that this Slam is not really going to be different from the others.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
For those who like Zverev as a dark horse, watch for the number of four or five set matches he plays before the quarterfinals. Especially since his injury in 2022, he plays a surprisingly high number of such matches, not conserving injury but expending it. It's a big reason he has never won a GS. So far in the first three rounds, he has played two four setters. If this trend continues in the fourth round, it might be evidence that this Slam is not really going to be different from the others.

His mental is always more worrying than anything physical imo, but I get what ya mean

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Rooting for Paul v Diallo so I can see Sinner v him Monday but he hasn't looked good at all today imo to even stand a chance v Jannik

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So, no, I am not still taking Paul over Sinner. Paul looks in poor form at the moment while Sinner's mental and physical question marks all seem to have positive answers.

I'm a little surprised another predicted quarterfinalist is still around. De Minaur has done a great job playing at less than full capacity, has adjusted his movement accordingly, and is winning convincingly.

Zverev/Nakishima looks fun. This is the sort of match up that Zverev often makes five sets out of. Anything less is a bonus for him in terms of energy management. Three sets, chef's kiss.

Zverev is now the second favourite. Medvedev is playing very well once the ball is in play, but I can't see him winning the championship with that service game right now.

This is the round where the minor players are usually led off the stage--Borges, Thompson, Machac.

On the women's side, not only 13 seeded players make the round of sixteen but two of the unseeded players are Wozniacki and Muchova--seed quality. Only Wang is the outlier. Pretty impressive,

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
So, no, I am not still taking Paul over Sinner. Paul looks in poor form at the moment while Sinner's mental and physical question marks all seem to have positive answers.

I'm a little surprised another predicted quarterfinalist is still around. De Minaur has done a great job playing at less than full capacity, has adjusted his movement accordingly, and is winning convincingly.

Zverev/Nakishima looks fun. This is the sort of match up that Zverev often makes five sets out of. Anything less is a bonus for him in terms of energy management. Three sets, chef's kiss.

Zverev is now the second favourite. Medvedev is playing very well once the ball is in play, but I can't see him winning the championship with that service game right now.

This is the round where the minor players are usually led off the stage--Borges, Thompson, Machac.

On the women's side, not only 13 seeded players make the round of sixteen but two of the unseeded players are Wozniacki and Muchova--seed quality. Only Wang is the outlier. Pretty impressive,

Medevdev v Sinner being a possible quarters matchup is downright bad from the tournament schedulers. Legit could be a final like we saw in AO. Agreed with everything else you said though. Very intrigued with that Naka Sasha match. Rublev and Dimi just started and that one should be a doozy as well.

Reactions: kihei and MsMeow

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I’m interested in Zverev/Nakashima today, Brandon has been excellent in week 1, big step up though.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ruud-Fritz has nothing in it through two sets. A break at the end for each, but otherwise it's been very even.

Ruud is not going to beat you, but doesn't make many mistakes. Fritz hasn't been that sharp off the ground when going for winners, but a little better in set 2. If Fritz is closer to set 2 off the ground and potentially even a little better, he'll win. If not, Ruud will take it.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Rublev would have this match wrapped up if he didn't choke that 2nd set 30-0 with a break and serving, Dimi looks exhausted in set 3/4

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Grigor playing nice steady, unspectacular tennis and letting Rublev's game and mood fluctuate around it. Worked for two sets, but now Andrei, bull dog that he is, is mounting a comeback. Currently two sets to one, with Andrei up a break in the fourth.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Dimi and Badosa making these comebacks this year are so cool watch and should give someone like Kyrgios hope he can do the same

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Poor Andrei. He is such a fighter; I always hate to see him lose. There was a time that Dimitrov would have folded like a cheap tent under this pressure, but kudos to him for being patient and handling the big points so well when it was needed.

Reactions: 17futurecap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad