Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I am happy with what Staios, Poulin and Co. have done so far.

Read an article on The Athletic about defensive play in Ottawa. They had a goalie expert on TSN1200 the other day who said Ottawa was 29th in the league in high danger chances, or Grada A's , not sure...but the Athletic had a stat that I was more sure about, that Ottawa was 14th in the league for high danger chances. We all know why the puck was going in. Boston was 23rd. Ullmark , realitically, can have a monster season this year.

I like Jensen and just listened ot his interview and seems like a great guy to have in the room, and sounds like a real pro. As does Girous. As does Ullmark. As does Perron.

Phenomenal to have Pinto at 2.5M this year, and I can bet that he wanted it that way so Staios can build a better team this year. We have space to add more depth on the 4th line and for pete's sake leave a little space
Yeah I was confused about that. Almost every analytics site has us middle-of-the-pack in expected goals against and high danger chances against. I'm not sure where he got those stats. He also said Boston was top 10 which is not even close.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yeah I was confused about that. Almost every analytics site has us middle-of-the-pack in expected goals against and high danger chances against. I'm not sure where he got those stats. He also said Boston was top 10 which is not even close.
Did the goalie expert say perhaps it was "off the rush"? Maybe I should listen to it again. But my eyes told me last year they werte not bad. No one could stop the damn puck

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Did the goalie expert say perhaps it was "off the rush"? Maybe I should listen to it again. But my eyes told me last year they werte not bad. No one could stop the damn puck

Might have been in-zone. Ottawa got hemmed in a lot leading to shots and tips, or breaking down and leaving a guy wide open.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ingoal uses Clearsight for their analytics, it's proprietary stuff, but they do publish some top 5 lists

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
I mean we've had drunk uncle Euge for how long? How did him instilling fear help the organization?
Last year exposed this team.

an owner who had kid gloves. players that by and large were safe due to their contracts. Virtually no one in any kind of a precarious position (slightly older, or injured, with a terminating contract).

Last year was literally, walking into the final exam, having already passed the course, and writing a final that is the last 20% of the total grade. And they failed!!!!

and we got, "the dog ate my homework"

Be more fair, Eugen scared the daylights out of us. He did not do anything to the players. No player was injured (buried in the minors,, buried in the press box). Most who wanted out, were shipped out. And in many instances to favorable locations. And often at a piss poor return. Eugene traded Mr. Underwood to Nashville for Cazzo (look it up).

Have you heard a player condemn Eugene? Be afraid of him? Have you heard a player, coach, manager complain, or accuse Eugen of wrecking his career? or trying to?

The reality is; Eugene was a nut job, who turned his lunacy on us the fans and on media. he threatened to ruin media people, and was hard on us, with his vailed threats. no one else.

I have waited 3 years for dirt to come out. None has. No player, coach, Hockey ops guy. Media, business exec's with the Sens, fans, have..no one else.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Both Chyc and Korpse had shite seasons, and chiefly they don't have anyone to blame but themselves. I'm not sure if talking about the situation in this manner (ownership, transition, etc.) is really whining or trying to deflect and give excuses for poor performance, but I don't think that's what it is fully, even if ideally they would just say nothing about it and move on. Interviews and media are tough though, they want you to address what they want you to address, and then the readers get the juiciest sentences, often without context. Again, not sure if that is what's happened here or not.

But I can understand how it can be disconcerting. Being brought in by one regime who from day 1 you know believes in you and supports you, wants you there, and suddenly there's a shift in authority and you no longer know where you stand with the folks who decide your future. Absolutely that would have an impact on performance and confidence and so on.

Both were not a fit. Korpse should not have been given that contract. Chyc should not have been the target for those assets, unless space on the left was made. They (chyc and korpse) probably realized they were in hot water with the regime change in conjunction with on-ice struggles. When a team has a poor season, you know changes are coming, they both probably felt the targets on their backs. Good riddance, but what a waste of assets. This is on the former GM not the players (aside from letting apathy set in, looking at you Chychrun).

Reactions: LiseL and DrEasy

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
What's this now? Chych and Korpse saying thier down seasons where because there was alot going on in the org? Sorry...Korpse signed a deal with a team that was in the middle of being sold and Chych cried with joy when he got here. A team that has been the biggest shit show in the league for almost 15 years. Was this news to them? They fvkn new or what? Lol

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I hate these kind of excuses.
So, if the distraction was an issue, you'd prefer they be dishonest about it?

Both guys have already acknowledged they personally need to be better , so I don't get the issue with admitting there were a lot of distractions. Hockey players and all athletes are creatures of habit, you break up their routine and it can throw them off. I'm not at all shocked that there was a lot of noise in the locker room and some guys struggled to deal with it, they are human after all

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Both guys have already acknowledged they personally need to be better , so I don't get the issue with admitting there were a lot of distractions. Hockey players and all athletes are creatures of habit, you break up their routine and it can throw them off. I'm not at all shocked that there was a lot of noise in the locker room and some guys struggled to deal with it, they are human after all
Just say you sucked and need to be better. Distraction from an ownership change doesn't move the needle for me. One guy sucked so hard, it's actually amazing to try to comprehend, don't use a f***ing excuse.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Just say you sucked and need to be better. Distraction from an ownership change doesn't move the needle for me. One guy sucked so hard, it's actually amazing to try to comprehend, don't use a f***ing excuse.
Distraction isn't a one off thing that operates in a vacuum. Everything going on adds to the noise they had to deal with.

Guys being honest about their experience is refreshing, much better than the cookie cutter crap some spout off for fear of triggering a cacophony of "no excuses".

But I guess he could have just said they need to give 110% ect ect.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Distraction isn't a one off thing that operates in a vacuum. Everything going on adds to the noise they had to deal with.

Guys being honest about their experience is refreshing, much better than the cookie cutter crap some spout off for fear of triggering a cacophony of "no excuses".

But I guess he could have just said they need to give 110% ect ect.
I think I"m done with excuses of any kind after a half decade plus of horseshit.

Reactions: senswon

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Season Priorities:
1. Improve Special Teams PP/PK/Faceoffs
2. Reduce Goals Against & Be more Disciplined
3. Be a Pain in the Ass Team to Play Against
4. Much better Defensive Play in our own Zone
5. Push the Play, make the other Team play Defence & Grind them Down
I think another priority was to bring in vets to change the culture to a winning culture in the room. Having Giroux to be the only one wasn't ideal + Giroux has never won a cup either so he also doesn't know what it takes to win. I realize we first have to get into the playoffs, but any lessons this core learns in the meantime will be valuable IMO.

Just love Staois - obvious plan is to reduce shots and count on Ulmark to close out games. This is a team trying to win 3-2 instead of 5-4.

Staois totally controls the media and protects his players. Things were out of control under Dorion and players were exposed mismanagement, rumours and straight up abuse from the owner.

As soon as a rumour gets out about a player Staois shuts it down and protects his guys.

I’m a huge Staois fan - best GM we have ever had by far.
Marshall Johnston was also very good but that was before Melnyk bought the team. I'm very happy with the new ownership/management group.

Reactions: aragorn

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's never black and white. I'm sure there's some legitimacy to their comments and I'm sure they were also clipped out of whatever elaboration or other comments that may have given it more context.

There's no way these guys don't know they need to be better. Especially Korpisalo. Another season like that from him and he knows he's at risk of being out of the league a la Jack Campbell. If that were to happen, he'll have been objectively bad in 4 of his last 5 seasons, and of course the 1 good year was the contract season. He has to know he's on thin ice if he wants his NHL career to continue.

Reactions: BigBlackCoffee1984

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think I"m done with excuses of any kind after a half decade plus of horseshit.
I don't think players giving their thoughts changes how I feel about the last 7 years, whether they just said they need to be better, or pass on insight into what was going on in the locker, doesn't change how I feel, the only difference is one results in me getting insight onto what was happening behind the curtain.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Ingoal uses Clearsight for their analytics, it's proprietary stuff, but they do publish some top 5 lists

Hmm, anywhere where we can see the full lists from Clearsight? Their site is a bit odd.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
2003 Senators went and won the president’s trophy while the team was up for sale, declared bankruptcy and disrupted payroll for players during the season. These guys are SAWFT
I had forgotten about that, excellent point. Imagine anyone on this roster accepting having to wait to get paid? 😂

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Distractions don’t explain Korpisalo missing wrist shots from just inside the blue line. Chychrun’s distraction was trying to earn an extension by avoiding injury IMO.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Chychrun and Korpisalo never said they were bad because of the ownership change. It wasn’t an excuse, it was context provided.

You can acknowledge that you had a tough year AND the noise doesn’t help. Not everything is a justification or an attempt to assign blame, sometimes it’s just discussing your experience.

Reactions: Micklebot

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
These players say what they are told to say by the PR department, they are all trained now. First, by agents & then the team on how to answer press questions & never say more than you are asked to say & avoid sensitive topics. I take everything that is said publicly with a bucket of salt.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Or are they being dishonest blaming the new ownership for their garbage play

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Or are they being dishonest blaming the new ownership for their garbage play

If that's how you want to interpret it, be my guest, neither guy comes off as deceitful imo, and tbh, I think saying everything was great and there were no distractions would come of as more deceitful since we all know the potential of a coaching change hango g over DJ from the moment Dorion got fired was constantly being talked about.

I find it interesting that the moment a player shows some humanity in their responses fans start accusing them of being this or that, but the rest of the time were complaining about cookie cutter answers . Can't have it both ways,

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
If that's how you want to interpret it, be my guest, neither guy comes off as deceitful imo, and tbh, I think saying everything was great and there were no distractions would come of as more deceitful since we all know the potential of a coaching change hango g over DJ from the moment Dorion got fired was constantly being talked about.

I find it interesting that the moment a player shows some humanity in their responses fans start accusing them of being this or that, but the rest of the time were complaining about cookie cutter answers . Can't have it both ways,
I think that these professional athletes behave like mental midgets is more like it. We all have jobs and careers with loads of distractions and we need to all perform at a level to earn our money and our keep. These guys blaming these little distractions is a total load of BS. They are paid and paid very well. These are excuses.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad