Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
At least as far as I'm concerned that is not what I'm talking about. Oroboros talked about how in another organization the GM replaced all his scouting within 2 weeks of taking over. Changing the scouts doesn't affect the players on the ice. Why didn't the new regime make wholesale changes to our scouting? It's been a year now already.

For the record I didn't mind rolling with DJ Smith till at least the end of the season. But I also saw that bringing in Jacques did seem to have a beneficial effect no matter how much players may have been unsettled by the change.

Most of the arguments either fall flat or regress into outright strawmanning.

As you have mentioned, there wouldn't have been an impact on the players had Staios actually hired a new head of scouting instead of letting 72 year old Don Boyd take over as a caretaker. Doubt they would have even noticed or cared.

You don't need a year to find a new head scout. There are many many long-time scouts around the league that would love a promotion and get to run their own scouting staff. It wouldn't be hard to convince one to leave for a promotion. We did that offering Ryan Bowness the assistant GM job when he was running the Pens pro-scouting.

It doesn't take a year to identify that our scouting staff is 20-30 years behind the times as far as how they evaluate prospects and what they value in draft eligibles. It's quite concerning there's been zero movement on the amateur side and it's starting to make me think Staios isn't opposed to continuing to focus primarily on tools and toughness on draft day, passing up skill and IQ to do so.

Reactions: bicboi64 and DrEasy

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
It doesn't take a year to identify that our scouting staff is 20-30 years behind the times as far as how they evaluate prospects and what they value in draft eligibles. It's quite concerning there's been zero movement on the amateur side and it's starting to make me think Staios isn't opposed to continuing to focus primarily on tools and toughness on draft day, passing up skill and IQ to do so.

You're assuming they haven't made any changes and aren't just waiting to finish their changes before they announce them. They just announced a whole bunch of hires for the B-Sens instead of announcing them individually. They could do the same thing for the big club before the season.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

As you have mentioned, there wouldn't have been an impact on the players had Staios actually hired a new head of scouting instead of letting 72 year old Don Boyd take over as a caretaker. Doubt they would have even noticed or cared.

You don't need a year to find a new head scout. There are many many long-time scouts around the league that would love a promotion and get to run their own scouting staff. It wouldn't be hard to convince one to leave for a promotion. We did that offering Ryan Bowness the assistant GM job when he was running the Pens pro-scouting.

There seem to be two possibilities, one Staois is fine with the Scouting department. He has had plenty of time to implement what exactly he wanted from the scouting staff in terms of the kind of player he wanted given the draft & ranking of avalable prospects & he seemed fine with the pick since he was the one who walked up to the mike & announced it. The second possibility was to let the scouting department do their job & let them argue who they think they should pick with their first pick & go with their recommendation. There is rarely overall consensus with most scouting departments & that is healthy to have different opinions & allow them to argue on behalf of who they want & make the best arguement for a particular player.

My guess is that they looked at our roster & came up with the player that checked most of the boxes of what this team needed. Given who was gone by the time they drafted & who was left on the board Yakemchuk checked off most of their needs. He is a right shot D, they needed a good young one, he has good size & is tough, they wanted more size & toughness on defence, & he had a pretty good offensive yr & they needed more scoring from the right side of their defence & he will provide that. Scoring as many goals as he did one could argue that he is very skilled to have done that. Is 30 goals by a defencemen not skilled enough for you?

Reactions: Cosmix

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

Staios has access to resources we don't, and if he couldn't identify that our scouting is too narrow-minded, that doesn't inspire the most confidence.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Staios has access to resources we don't, and if he couldn't identify that our scouting is too narrow-minded, that doesn't inspire the most confidence.
However, in fairness, that old scouting draft was following the direction of the Dorion; now they are following the direction of Staios. That "direction" means the type of skills that the GM desires most highly over other skills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad