NESN UPDATE 6/27 - Sean McDonough considering replacing Jack Edwards

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
Honestly surprised to see so many people wanting McDonough. If you couldn't watch the SCF and could only listen to McDonough call the games you would've thought is was a snooze fest. Guy sounds about as exciting as a plank of wood.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Honestly surprised to see so many people wanting McDonough. If you couldn't watch the SCF and could only listen to McDonough call the games you would've thought is was a snooze fest. Guy sounds about as exciting as a plank of wood.
Agree that he can be a bit bland at times, but he's solid. Knowledgeable and calls a good game. I really liked his call on Pasta's game 7 winner.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
*sigh*

Why not give Sirott a chance? He does real good with calls for 98.5 and has a good voice for it. Or better yet, why not give the gig to Alex Faust? Faust did great when calling games.

Why does it have to be an ex national TV guy and a boring one in McDonough on top of it all? His voice is like auditory version of Ambien. I'm not a fan of Edwards because of his blatant homerism and terrible references, but at least he was into the action and had an excited tone that worked. Especially when at his peak. McDonough is just a boring stiff.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
*sigh*

Why not give Sirott a chance? He does real good with calls for 98.5 and has a good voice for it. Or better yet, why not give the gig to Alex Faust? Faust did great when calling games.

Why does it have to be an ex national TV guy and a boring one in McDonough on top of it all? His voice is like auditory version of Ambien. I'm not a fan of Edwards because of his blatant homerism and terrible references, but at least he was into the action and had an excited tone that worked. Especially when at his peak. McDonough is just a boring stiff.
Then, who do you want? What's the alternative, an Ai speaking clone/drone? I want homerism and crave it in my Bruins games. Homerism with intelligence even if a little boring is fine by me. I miss the old guys like Bob Wilson, Fred Cusick etc. I just hope that they bring in a little bit of a loose cannon for color, since Sean is very straight laced IMO.
Still, not knowing who else is out there besides Reed Duthie and Jim McCabe Sean is like a long lost family member. We could do much worse.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Then, who do you want? What's the alternative, an Ai speaking clone/drone? I want homerism and crave it in my Bruins games. Homerism with intelligence even if a little boring is fine by me. I miss the old guys like Bob Wilson, Fred Cusick etc. I just hope that they bring in a little bit of a loose cannon for color, since Sean is very straight laced IMO.
Still, not knowing who else is out there besides Reed Duthie and Jim McCabe Sean is like a long lost family member. We could do much worse.

I just said that I want Faust or Sirott. I don't know why they didn't get a fair chance to win the job.

Reactions: Gordoff

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
*sigh*

Faust is everything you listed and worse.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I liked McD when he did the Sox a long time ago. He fits baseball. I liked him back then. His style is not conducive to hockey’s high energy game. Boring…

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
*sigh*

Folks have different tastes. I actually find McDonough more engaging that either Sirott or Faust. Sirott does a decent job on radio and his energy is good, but I find his call is fairly one-dimensional and gets repetitive quite quickly. Faust was solid when he had his opportunity, no complaints, if he got the job full-time I'd be fine with it. McDonough IMO just has that little bit more gravitas and breadth to his call that comes with years of experience. Sure he's not the most exciting of all time, but I don't find him boring and I'd wager he'd change his style and play to the home galleries a bit more if calling for NESN as opposed to a national broadcaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad