Up-and-coming prospects from non-traditional hockey countries

Fin9*

Anyone know what happened to Robert Rooba? Everyone thought he would go in the seventh round but haven't heard anything since.

Should be playing with Blues in the sm-liiga next year. had 21 points in 5 games for Estonia in the WJC - u20 2Division B this year.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I wonder if Bartek Bison could turn out to be a legit prospect from the Netherlands.
He eligible for the 2016 draft so it is way too early to tell, but on paper I find him intriguing. He has nice size for a 15 year old, his numbers ain't bad and since he is playing for the best junior program in Germany I will definitely keep an eye out for this kid.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I wonder if Bartek Bison could turn out to be a legit prospect from the Netherlands.
He eligible for the 2016 draft so it is way too early to tell, but on paper I find him intriguing. He has nice size for a 15 year old, his numbers ain't bad and since he is playing for the best junior program in Germany I will definitely keep an eye out for this kid.

That is a nice find, but his best case is to either jump to the Sweden, Germany, or Finland junior division and hope he puts up solid numbers to warrant an CHL import selection.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.

With a name like that, he'd be a natural for Buffalo

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
That is a nice find, but his best case is to either jump to the Sweden, Germany, or Finland junior division and hope he puts up solid numbers to warrant an CHL import selection.

He is already playing in the best German youth program (Mannheim)

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
He is already playing in the best German youth program (Mannheim)

Yeah, I think that if he can move up the ranks in Mannheim, he could easily get noticed from there... although that requires a spot in DEL roster soon.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Yeah, I think that if he can move up the ranks in Mannheim, he could easily get noticed from there... although that requires a spot in DEL roster soon.

DEL might be a little early. ;)
But he would have to move on to the DNL soon to make the next step.

Maybe this season he will play for both the U16, as he did last season, and the U18, which would be in the DNL. Then in 14/15 he should be playing in the DNL full time.

But that's all just speculation.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
DEL might be a little early. ;)
But he would have to move on to the DNL soon to make the next step.

Maybe this season he will play for both the U16, as he did last season, and the U18, which would be in the DNL. Then in 14/15 he should be playing in the DNL full time.

But that's all just speculation.

Yeah, obviously DEL would be early now, but it must happen in two or three years if we're talking about him as a possible NHL draft pick.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Yeah, obviously DEL would be early now, but it must happen in two or three years if we're talking about him as a possible NHL draft pick.

It would be one way. Another option could be going the CHL route in a couple of years. That is if he establishes himself as a top player in the DNL by then, and gets selected in the import draft in 2015 or 2016.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Anything coming up soon?

I would love it if Poland had a player come out of it soon.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Kazakhstan have couple of interesting names, but the one that could really be somewhat noticeable on international level is D Stanislav Zinchenko

Stanislav Zinchenko continues to impress in MHL (Russian junior league) after switching teams this off-season and looks like a real stud. Would be cool to see him CHL, as for Russian-speaking defensemen Canadian junior leagues don't seem so harmful for their development as for forwards. Can't even remember who was the last Kazakh player in CHL.

Also two other rather intriguing prospects have emerged in VHL (which would be an AHL equivalent in NA). 96' born forward Semyon Koshelev is almost PPG player already and by reports is one of the most noticeable players on Torpedo Ust-Kamenogorsk roster. They also sport September rookie of the month of the whole league 95' defenseman Yuri Sergiyenko. Their both are amongst main reasons why their team right now is leading the league as for most teams the youngsters they are forced to ice (per the rules of the league) for most part are hindering the teams perfomance.

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
So Yakov Vorobyov, damn, never even heard of him and I'd like to think I know a lot about Kazakh hockey. I figured that it would be Pushkaryov, but here you go. Also judging by the name Yakov could also be the last Jewish player as well. :sarcasm:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Young Sam Duggan just made the Great Britain U20 team as a '98 born. Never happened in GB before and could potentially rep GB in 5 U20 tournaments & 3 U18s

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Wow, also noticed he is 6'1 tall at 15 years old while his older brothers is 5'10~ fullgrown.

yep my original fear for him was that he'd end up 5'9" and it'd be difficult for him to be taken seriously being from a non traditional market but he had his spurt last year.

Here he is with both his brothers:
0354eb6c6ee0d0731e118066e7ec1081.jpeg

He's the tall one on the left

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Young Sam Duggan just made the Great Britain U20 team as a '98 born. Never happened in GB before and could potentially rep GB in 5 U20 tournaments & 3 U18s

Is his 2013/14 stat line correct?

12 goals and 8 assists in 3 games, for a 15 year-old playing in a U18 league? Yikes!

No offence to UK hockey, but he appears to have outgrown his domestic competition. This kid needs to be in a league where his talent can be properly assessed. Anyone know his plans?

I see one of his older brothers played with Shattuck's. Maybe he'll do likewise.

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Is his 2013/14 stat line correct?

12 goals and 8 assists in 3 games, for a 15 year-old playing in a U18 league? Yikes!

No offence to UK hockey, but he appears to have outgrown his domestic competition. This kid needs to be in a league where his talent can be properly assessed. Anyone know his plans?

I see one of his older brothers played with Shattuck's. Maybe he'll do likewise.

yes, also 5 points in 1 game at the U16 level.

I've been hoping to see him go to Shattuck for a while, time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad